1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 Day Army Challenge!

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by monders, Jan 29, 2014.

1. monders
    Skink

monders New Member

Hello, fellow Lustrians.

As some of you may have read elsewhere on the site, I've rekindled my love of all things cold blooded and am taking my Lizardmen to a friendly tourney on Feb 8th.

Here's what I have:

Lizards.jpg

The Saurus and skinks are undercoated/based with Army Painter Bone and I'm using a wash Carrabourn(?) Crimson for their skin and Agrax over the scales (with a light drybrush of either Ushabti or similar). Weapon hafts will be most likely black, with bright silver spikey bits. I know we tend to have bronze/gold weapons but I like the idea of my boys using some star forged alloy. I may add a blue wash to the weapons, if time allows.

The beasties are undercoated black, and will have grey under bellies and dark blue scales. I'm tempted to do the shields in this blue, but fear it may be too dark against an essentially pink skin colour. Thoughts?

I'd like to do my rippers dark red, but that limits any blood and gore I may wish to add.

I'll try and update here every day or two!

Cheers!

2. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

Good luck mate, that is quite the army you've got set up there.

3. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Whoa, that's a real challenge! I like the colour scheme and in my opinion the dark blue will look good against pinkish warriors. Hopefully you'll be able to get everything ready in time. And don't forget to post the pictures of your finished army after the tournament, along with how it went!

4. monders
    Skink

monders New Member

Thanks for looking and commenting guys - yeah it's quite a task but this evening I finished the red wash on all of the foot troops. Very nearly a full pot of red wash was used!

Tomorrow evening I'm starting on the scale washing. Fortunately I've got Mrs Monders helping out there.

On Sunday, I'll base coat the large beasts and Sunday evening I'll treat myself to a character or two.

I think I just might be able to get it done...

I'll get an image update posted tomorrow.

Thanks again,

5. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

I like the simple idea you have, and reckon it'll look great!

Bone has certainly proved a good color scheme on the bellies of my beasts, and match most colors i later decide to add to their backs.

Good luck with this!

6. monders
    Skink

monders New Member

Thanks Vamp!

Quick update -

Still no pictures, sadly, but I now have all but the big beasties washed.

This evening I'll be painting weapons and arm bands, jewellery and Standards (all silver). I hope to make a start on the shields if time allows.

Tomorrow I'll finish the shields and add detail to the TG unit.

I might then treat my self to my Skink Priests and Old Blood, who will be a nice deep red to make them stand out a little.

It'll be really close, but Thursday and Friday is all about the monsters. Orange Rippers with blue or yellow heads, blue COC and Ancient Steg.

Shame I wasted the weekend. I'm really mad at myself. Stupid Netflix.

7. Connosaurus
    Saurus

Connosaurus New Member

That is going to be sooo hard. but thats because i dont like painting in an assembly line, but i have to because i have to have a certin amount of points painted for an esclation league, good luck.

8. monders
    Skink

monders New Member

And I've failed.

Everything has paint on, but I'm not nearly finished...

Here's a little cross section

Lizardsample.jpg

Usual apologies for crap quality disclaimer. Which is funny because I'm a photographer.

Anyways, as you can see they all need basing, and all the metal needs a wash. As well as the usual little touch up jobs -

The Temple Guard need their weapons and other metal bits painting.

The Saurus need their shields painting (one done).

The Skinks need their eyes painting.

The COC need their bellies painting (one done).

The Steg needs his Howdah painting.

Rippers need their wings painting and a general wash. The orange base coat I used is awful, and I wish I'd gone down the blue route.

I had a good go but it was a bit more than I could tackle.

Here's hoping I'm more successful at the tourney this weekend!

9. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

When will you finish your army?

10. monders
    Skink

monders New Member

Over the next few weeks, Zwuppie.

I'm not quitting now - far too close to the end!

They're basic TT standard and that's fine, but I think the next army I start will be a long term, well painted project.