1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. 1000pts 8th Ed. for "Tale of Gamers" campaign

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Dreadgrass, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Dreadgrass
    Ripperdactil

Dreadgrass Member

Hi all,

Tinkering with a 1000pt list for an escalating "Tale of Gamers" type campaign with a few friends to get us into 8th, thought I'd ask for suggestions/ comments on my starting list.

HEROES - 250pts - 25%

- Scarveteran - BSB
    - Skink Priest - Lvl. 2
    - +40ish points for equipment
    Thought BSB was probably more useful than being the general, since the main blocks will have similar LD anyway, Priest is so I'm not useless in the magic phase and so I can start learning the magic rules. Not sure on items with all the snazzy new ones, any thoughts?

CORE - 346pts - 35%

- 19 x Saurus with Spears, standard, musician
    I've got mountains of spear-saurus. Will deploy them 5 x 4 to help tackle enemy horde units and to give a bit of a buffer against casualties due to their low Ini.

- 2 units of 10 x Skink Cohorts
    Support units, a bit of shooting, some re-directing, the usual

SPECIAL & RARE - 400pts - 16% and 24% respectively

- 10 x Temple Guard
    2nd Combat unit, Primarily there to bodyguard the slann when I hit 1500pts, but 15 strength 5 attacks isn't too shabby!

- 3 x Salamanders with extra handlers
    Loved them in 7th supposed to be awesome in the new rules.

I'm a bit concerned as I believe I'll be seeing at least 1 Undead and 1 Skaven player so and suggestions would be great!

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I would give the temple guard at least a standard and musician. Other than that, I think it looks pretty good. One item to consider with the priest is the cupped hands of the old one. That will take care of the first mis cast (baring the snake eyes-happened to me twice ).

3. Maedhros
    Saurus

Maedhros New Member

I like the core of the list. I think you'll definatly get your money's worth out of the salamanders (particularly against skaven). I think the BSB is a handy but that the general giving ld 8 to the skink cohorts is almost as good.

My main worry is that I think small units will have a hard time going toe to toe with anything and that a single casualty will take away the ability of your cohorts or TG to negate ranks. I'd dump the TG for now and just wait. Hell, if you wanted to you could dump the TG, dump the skink priest and pick up a bare bones slann and still have a few left over points.

4. Dreadgrass
    Ripperdactil

Dreadgrass Member

Thanks for the responses!

@Arli - depending on left over points from the magic items allotment, the commands definately up there on my to-get list, might even drop the spare crew on the sallies to squeeze something in... I'm not a fan of the cupped hands on a skink Priest as I find it hard to justify a 50ish point one use protection for a 100ish point model.

@Maedhros - Unfortunately a bare bones slann is too many points to fit in the 25% Lords cap at 1000pts, was a nice thought though! The TG are mainly there for their attacks, and to give me a second block of infantry that wouldn't die to a strong sneeze lol. Flanking with them is fairly unlikely, as I only really have 2 blocks of troops, they're more there to either support-charge the Saurus's target (giving a lot of strength 4 and 5 attacks against any 10 wide horde unit) or to pick off enemy support units and defend the flank of the Saurus brick. Also, regarding the BSB VS general, the mainline units that I'd be concerned about breaking are the saurus and Temple Guard, who I think will benefit from the BSB far more... If the skink cohorts are getting into fights then they've generally been sacrificed to manouver my enemy so my blocks can fight one target at a tme, so having them run isn't any real loss!

So, I'm thinking of keeping the Priest cheap, maybe a plaque of Tepok, any suggestions on item setups for either character? I don't have the new BRB yet, so I'm flying a little blind in that department!