1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 1500 pts vs Death

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Nart, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

I will have a match against death tomorrow. Expecting to see Legions of Nagash with new free unit return. There will be Vampire on ZD or one of the Mortarch and 40 skeletons.

Allegiance: Seraphon
    Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    - Trait: Vast Intellect
    - Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240)
    - War Spear
    - Artefact: Sword of Judgement
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)

Battleline
    5 x Saurus Knights (90)
    - Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights (90)
    - Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights (90)
    - Lances

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (280)

Battalions
    Firelance Starhost (150)

Endless Spells
    Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1480 / 1500
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 67

We'll generate realm and battleplan randomly. General strategy is to protect slann on turn 1 with knights and summon skinks in movement phase, while Firelance march forward to meet the foe.

With balewind in cover slann will have 2+ save and -1 to-hit because of Look Out! Add here Rectrices and he becomes very unattractive target besides his key role. He summons or cast spells depending on situation. I want to summon Scar-Vet on CO ASAP too.

Starpriest serves as a Vassal and gives Venom to Saurus. Nothing special. If he dies, Slann summons another one.

Astrolith Bearer hides behind slann doing what he always does - +1 to casts, +8 to range and d3 conjuration points.

Carnosaur hunts VZoD and other nasty heroes. His goal to kill big monster and general quickly to shut down dead rising. Blade of Judgement on Warspear will do great. Slann will cast curse of fates on him to turn additional 5 to-hit into 6. The problem is if he somehow recieves -1 to-hit, artefact is simply wasted. But I want to try and see how it goes. Another possibility is Miasmic Blade, so I can stack up to -2 to-hit with Summon Starlight.
    Avoids skeleton horde.

Knights support Carno in his hunt. They can also stop skeletons for a while. Last game 5 knghts managed to bring VZoD from 11 to 1 wound with 1 activation. Scar-Vets command abiltity will help them a lot.

Bastiladon stands near Astolith and shoot with rerolls. It can deplete skeletons quickly too. Also serves as additional layer of defence for slann.

Firelance gives additional CP and gives boost to Knights. Also gives more chances for choosing who goes first. I think, it's worth its points.

I cannot have both Balewind and Cogs, so I chose the second for additional protection. Generaly it g ives more benefits to caster. I already have bonuses for run and charge so Cogs won't give as much as Balewind.

My biggest concern is that VZoD will reach slann. He'll get countercharge and get destoyed, of course, but it way be too late. I want to keep VZoD\mortarch\morgasts busy with Firelance, while summoning enough skinks to bubblewrap Slann. I also hope that realm we'll play in will contain some anti-horde spells since I have no reliable way to deal with them otherwise. Let's see how it works.

2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Well, before 2nd edition LoN ware pretty hard to face, especially blobs of 40 skellies.
    Now that he can bring back them for free, it will be even harder. But at least, they're slow...

3. Heiste
    Skink

Heiste Member

You can only summon if you have enough reserve points. Your plan makes it sound like you want to just summon skinks and scar vets and dead units again all game. But that's not really how it works. You need to reserve the points for summoning. So if you want to summon skinks you need to have 40 points in your reserve pool otherwise you can just have an infinite amount of stuff in a 1500 point game.

4. Zargore
    Skink

Zargore New Member

You don't need reserve points in AoS 2 for summoning. We now have a new summoning mechanic where we can exchange spell casts for summoning points, so technically you can have infinite troops.

Heiste likes this.
  5. Heiste
    Skink

Heiste Member

Oh Ok, well thank you! I had no idea.

6. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I played Death last Friday and that regeneration (and the ability to re-summon whole destroyed units) was very strong.
    Good times for Death.

7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

See that's a tricky one, do you wipe out the unit or leave one or two alive and let them regen as the regen is slower than the summon.

8. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

The problem for my opponent in that game was: Since fighting in melee is now mandatory in AoS2 he only would have had the option to retreat instead. But he couldn't as it wasn't even his turn.
    So he would have had to ignore that unit in the turn before, but that was impossible since it was my huge blob of skellies blocking the access to the heroes.

He still almost got out of the situation, because I placed my general too far away from two of my gravesites. There wasn't enough space to place the 40-skelly-blob again. But I could place my 10 Guards again and that broke his neck.

Some armies might be able to put stuff near the gravesites to prevent the re-summoning, the 9" rule applies. I think Seraphon could do that with Chameleon Skinks for example.

Crowsfoot likes this.