1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 2 carnos?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Naeven, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Naeven
    Skink

Naeven New Member

I bought two SC boxes back in 2016 or so and figured I'd make 2 carnos.
    My friends stopped playing and I never got around to finishing the second carno.

Which leaves me the option to have a trog instead of a second carno..

I know they play differently but what way would you guys go?
    I haven't tried the latest version of the game yet so I can't make an educated guess..

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

3. Audvin
    Saurus

Audvin Active Member

But say you don't want to (or need to) build 2 of each and you had to choose? Would it be 2 Carnos or 1 Carno/1 Trog?

Paradoxical Pacifism and Naeven like this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

2 carnys, Troglodon is ok but nothing compared to a Carny

5. GuaDan
    Kroxigor

GuaDan Well-Known Member

Some people build a Trog from the second Start Collecting box because the model is awesome and it gives a nice Saurus Hero on foot.

6. Audvin
    Saurus

Audvin Active Member

For me personally I'd go with 1 Carno, 1 Trog and one OB on foot, just cuz the models are nice then. Since I only play in a small group of friends with ZERO competitive attitude, more diverse and fun models are more important I guess.

7. Jatipower
    Saurus

Jatipower Member

I build 1 carno and 1 troglo because if i want 2 carnos, except in tournaments (that i dont play xD), i could say "This troglo is really a carno"

8. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

2 carnos IMO. Carnos are just way more fun.

9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

unless you build a Trog as showed in the linked thread about optimizing SC box (so you will have one anyway), I'm gonna cast a vote for a Trog as second dino.

The reason is fairly simple: with the current rules, if you're using the typical set-up, you are going to field a Slann and an Astrolith bearer (this one for bonus to summoning points and to hit rerolls).
    A Trog is cheaper than a Carno (summoning points wise)… needing just 18 pts you can be 100% sure to have one at the end of the second move phase (well, you could be sure even with a Carno, but that requires a more focused build).
    The fact is: the Trog will appear at 9" from enemy, but tnx to the rerolls from the astrolith, it's highly probable you will obtain that sweet +3 to charge, which means that your Trog can be fully effective since turn one. With a Cog spell you could charge with the Trog at 4+...

10. WarbossLincoln
    Skink

WarbossLincoln New Member

I've got 1 of each from my two boxes and the Trog isn't bad. It's saving grace is that it's super cheap for a monster. 160 points is nothing, not even a 20 man warrior unit. Another plus the Trog gets is its degradation profile. It doesn't degrade as hard as a Carnosaur. Losing some movement and spittle range isn't terrible, you're probably in melee by the time it happens. The Trog's bite's to-wound roll goes down but doesn't get bad until 10 wounds. Carnosaurs degrade bad, losing bite attacks every couple wounds.

A Trog at 5 wounds still gets 6 bite attacks wounding on 3's.
    A Carnosaur at 5 wounds loses 2 bite attacks and its claws only hit on 4's. That gives you less chance of hitting with the 2 claws which you need on monsters to get the +2 to hit on the bites, of which you're getting 2 less.

Both of them are equally tough. 12 Wounds with a 4+ save. Scar Vet does bring a shield. It's just as easy to kill the 260 point Carnosaur as the 160 point Trog.

I think where Trogs could be great is in bringing a pack of them. 2 Trogs, a Carnosaur, and an Engine of the gods could be fun. Summon a third Trog turn 2 and send all 4 dinos in

11. Naeven
    Skink

Naeven New Member

These are all some good views, it's not really making it easier to choose though! I'm not super into conversions and modelling with greenstuff right now so that'll have to wait. I think I'm going 1 of each and then later maybe make a second trog with the spares!
    Thank you all for your input. :)

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  12. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

you're welcome! ;)

Naeven and Paradoxical Pacifism like this.