1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 20 Skinks & 2 Krox

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by asrodrig, Aug 31, 2010.

1. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Are you allowed to field it like this:

SSSSSSS
    SKKSKKS
    SKKSKKS

SSSSSSS

S=Skink
    KK
    KK=Kroxigor

I can't find anything in the rules that says you can't have the column of Skinks in the center, but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough...

2. Ilnar3
    Chameleon Skink

Ilnar3 New Member

No you can,
    But asides from looking cool, why would you?
    Surely it's more effective 6 wide?

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah I had a look and I see nothing wrong with that. Also not sure what the benefit would be though.

4. xhequimunqui
    Skink

xhequimunqui New Member

Interesting. The only tiny benefit I can see is that the Kroxigors will have a slightly wider reach into the non-central positions in the front rank of an enemy unit. They’ve effectively become 100mm plus corner-to-corner wide instead of 80mm plus corner-to-corner wide. You just might be able to get three WS3 S6 attacks on a poorly positioned mage in an enemy horde unit that you couldn’t reach with the Kroxigor centralised.

However, it does get me thinking. Who says there have to be Skinks in the 2nd row flanking the Kroxigor? Or even Skinks at all?

Would it be permissible to go 5 wide and only have a single Skink in each of the 2nd and 3rd ranks? That way you could have 5 ranks of Skrox with 2 Krox and 17 Skinks.

Or what about going 6 Skinks wide with 3 Krox as the 2nd rank?

Xhequimunqui

5. vaalnn
    Skink

vaalnn New Member

Now thats a good question ;)

6. Ease
    Jungle Swarm

Ease New Member

What I've been wondering about is a Horde of Skinks (10 wide) with 10 Kroxigors (5 in the 2nd rank, and 5 in the 3rd) - as the Skinks technically make it a Horde, all the Krox's can attack whilst keeping the missle-protection from the Skinks.

7. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Lol, that unit would be 20 cm wide, 24 cm long, and cost 972 points.

8. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

Yeah. May as well fork out for the 990 points unit of 18 straight Krox.

9. Ease
    Jungle Swarm

Ease New Member

But with this way you have 80 3+ ward-saves for your kroxigors against missile hits and impact hits (as you have to randomise onto the skinks most of the time) and in combat your Kroxigors are Invincible until 71 Skinks are dead. Sure it sucks up a fair few points, but it does save you a lot of Rare and Special points as it all counts as Core. At 4k+ points it could be quite cool...

10. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

I'm not sure about this. Would the first rank of Korxigors be considered the unit's second rank, or would it be considered the second and third (like they would if the Krox didn't take the full width of the unit)? If the Krox are 2nd and 3rd ranks, then the back 5 couldn't attack.

11. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Good point, MI_Tiger. You are right, the first kroxigor takes up space in both the second at third rank, so if you put a krox behind him it would be in the fourth and fifth rank.

12. ArmyC
    Skink

ArmyC New Member

So 6 skinks wide with 3 Krox, like this

SSSSSS
    KKKKKK
    KKKKKK
    SSSSSS
    SSSSSS
    SSSSSS

24 Skinks, 3 Krox = 4 ranks or 5 ranks?

13. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

I would say 5 ranks. The fact that it is a skink unit esablishes that a rank is 20mm deep. Since Krox are on 40 mm bases, they take up 2 ranks even though they stretch across all files.

14. DesertLIZARD
    Saurus

DesertLIZARD New Member

If the Kroxigors can't use the Great Reach rule (can attack behind a line of skinks), why would you still use that type of regiment? Also, for a helpful thought, not use a mixed unit of Kroxis and skinks because it might screw you over at combat resolution. Kroxigors are meant to do alot of damage to big, heavy, strong units (calvary,monsters). Skinks, no lie, are meant to die without blowpipes; they serve as being core unit choices and things to run around the field to distract and piss your opponent off. When you do mix the two, a player will ultimatley aim for skinks because they'll die pretty easily and all those kills will overmatch the kills your kroxigors have made if any and you'll end up losing the combat fromt he amoutn of skinks dead.

Just a thought..
    -Brett

15. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

They do still get supporting attacks (all 3) when they are with skinks. The unit is meant to be used as a flanker. If you charge it straight into an enemy's front line, it will indeed be smashed to bits.

16. DesertLIZARD
    Saurus

DesertLIZARD New Member

Where does it say you can use Kroxigors in the back and be able to attack?

17. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I disagree! A unit of 30 skinks, 3 kroxigors, and full command will do fairly well against most units (as you basically are using the skinks for a Kroxigor delivery system). I also put 1 or 2 skink chiefs in the unit as well to get the extra kills (unit champion will make/accept challenges). Add into that lore of light or Life buffs and you have a unit to be reckoned with.

18. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

They only get the attacks if they are in the second row. My apologies if you meant in a different row, didn't read all of the posts. They still have the great reach rule as per our army book.

Agreed there Arli, but my statement was as per the original post of 20 skink/2krox units. However, without the light buffs, they are still going to take a hefty number of casualities if they went head on.

19. Arli
    Skink Priest

That is a point of contention. A horde unit of cohorts (with Krox) would consist of 40 models 10 across. You could put 4 krox in that setup. The Krox do count as the second and third rank. If the unit were Kroxigors alone, you would need 6 (frontage) models for the horde. In that case, because they are monstrous infantry, they would get 44 attacks (if they were 3 ranks or 18 krox). That is the way it works for Ogres ( I do believe). Because the unit is a combination of skinks and Krox, it is in a grey area and is concievably open to debate (until it is FAQ'd).

My 2 cents :artist:

The FAQ removes the great reach rule. It now falls to the monstous infantry rule.

20. Arli
    Skink Priest

Ah, I see what you mean. You are correct about the smaller unit.