1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 2000 pts Shadowstrike

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Nart, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Since my Drakespawn still didn't arrive, and no way to get Stegadon from any store in my country, I have to use what I have for an upcoming 2k tournament. I am aware what current 2k shadowstrike should look like and I'm trying to get as close to it as I can. I cannot choose between two following lists.

First one:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    - Trait: Great Rememberer
    - Artefact: Ignax's Scales
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
    - Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    Skink Starpriest (80)

Battleline
    40 x Skinks (240)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)

Units
    6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (280)
    Bastiladon (280)

Battalions
    Shadowstrike Starhost (180)

Endless Spells
    Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 115

This list will have 4 heroes that can score in missions where wizards and artefact beares can score. Also, double starpriest will allow me to cast both starlight and mystic shield to protect bastiladons and cast realm spells, which are in use. Slann will just generate CCP. I find mobility on Astro very important, so I give him the Cloak.

Secon list:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    - Trait: Great Rememberer
    - Artefact: Miasmatic Blade
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240)
    - War Spear
    - Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak

Battleline
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    10 x Skinks (60)

Units
    6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (280)
    Bastiladon (280)

Battalions
    Shadowstrike Starhost (180)

Endless Spells
    Balewind Vortex (40)
    Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 93

List is the same, but I sacrifice second priest and skinks for the sake of Carnosaur. Doppelganger can give me an edge against those Terrorgeists with ASF. Sicne all the big stuff is already on the table, I can pop new skinks for the first 2-3 turns.

I think, the first one is still better because of more bodies.

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

I prefer your second list.

The first list is also quit viable. If you were to change something about the first list then I would only bring one Skink Starpriest and take additional Skinks and a 20MPP endlesspell or Triumph.

Nart likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

The second is a tad more risky concerning wounds on the table, but I also think it is worth it.
    Hit them in the first turn, and hit them hard. The rest can be fixed by summoning. :)

Nart likes this.
  4. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

I went with second list, but decided to take Aqshy artefacts. 2 loses and 1 win so far, two more games tomorrow. First one was against Nurgle, Focal points.. I'd probably won if we played full 5 rounds. It was 30 blightkings, some heroes and a bit of demonic support. I managed to kill harbinger turn 1 with rippers and block of 20 kings started to thinner. But I failed several critical charges with summoned rippedactyls, and puny Scarvet failed to kill 5-king unit through 3 turns. He just refused to hit and wound. Not even a single model went down. He just turtled in the centre with all he had left. If I sent skinks 1 turn earlier, I could take over his objctive with 5 kings.

Second was against Sylvaneth, Shifting objectives.. I had no chances. He used single-drop battalion to take first turn, set-up wyldwoods on objectives and swarmed them with Dryads. It wasn't the strongest list - it had durtu, drycha, dryads and kurnoths of all kinds. I couldn't touch his units with anything but bastiladon fire because of tree branches. I managed to take one of the objectives and bring enough skinks to deny him central one, but for two rounds we rolled for the important objective to be third one, where I had no presense.

Third one was against a new Stormcast player. She seemed not very intereseted in game for some reason. Misson was The better part of valour. She didn't protect her objectives and rippers+scarvet could remove infantry too. She also tried to kill bastiladons with rerollable 3+ with her ballistas. In the end, instead of removing me from my objectives, she tried to protect her's, despite my progressive scoring.

So, no battle was particulary interesting or fun. At least, sylvaneth player was my buddy and we had some nice chatting.

Dual bastiladon doesn't seem the same as thunderquake, not even near. Rerolling saves and to-wounds with healing are critical. But Stegadon is still Webstore Exclusive. Probably, I should get a trogglodon at least to fill the battalion.

5. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

I ended up 10th with 48 pts out of 100 possible.

Well, list did definitely weaker than thunderquake last time, but I did less mistakes too (quite a few though).

Fourth game was against new DoK player. She was a nice opponent, and we ended up more chatting than playing and did only 2 turns. Mission was relocation orb, she had Morathi, 50 witches, 10 heartrenders, slaughter queen on cauldron, 2 hags and medusa. She screened all her important stuff, but I decided to go first, because there were now way to get orb from 30 witches with 5+/5++ rerollable. Rippers killed 10 withces and doomfire, but also locked 30 witches block in close combat. Only 5 could attack, so 3 of them survived. I screened all my important stuff with skinks and brought a bunch of them to the objective. In her turn she was able only to charge skinks. I lost some but because of positioning, I still got more on the objective and denied her 3 VP. She got double turn. Orb moved to her territory but far from witches so she dropped Heartrenders to take it. She killed more skinks and Carno but that was it. On my turn I got tremendously lucky. I managed to teleport slann, than teleport 10 skinks I summoned the turn before, than summon rippers. And BOTH of them could charge Heartrenders with 8+ roll (I had Hunter constellation). I know it is just a bit above average, but after failing 5 8+ rolls in a raw the day before, I was suprised. So I retreated with skinks to have 10 models in 6", rippers survived Heartrenders activation (she forced 3 saves and I rolled triple 5's) and killed 5. Victory for seraphon! The game itself was not very interesting though with lots of predictable moves.

Five game was against Skaven, shifting objectives. 40 stormvermin, 80 clanrats, warbringer, clawlord, bell, two abominations, new pit terrain. He placed two pits on objecties and 1 in his depoyment, screened heroes with rats and stormvermin. I gave him the first turn and he took over all the objectives. Rippers striked Stormvermin, but I rolled very poor and killed only 10. Carno charged one of the abominations, but lost 6 wounds before attacks and did only 5 wounds to abominations. I was extremily unlucky with the rolls. The following turns were about thinning stormvermin. Skinks could score objective, where two abominations were, escaping from them on every charge. Unfortunately for me, he's got -1 to-hit result for his bell on turn 2, severly hindering my already not so great damage output. But I've got several lucky rolls to, like making 3 11 2d6 rolls for bastiladon number of shots and then hitting like 8-9 of them on 5+. In the last round he managed to kill bastiladon with 6 wounds and -1 to-hit on it with his Clawlord. I failed 2 saves after all attacks and he rolled double 3 on damage. This denied me critical objective. But on my turn his clawlord charged astrolith behind thin skink screen and killed it, but I retreted with them to the objectives, also denying his scoring. We ended 9-11 because we had same points, but he managed to kill more. If bastiladon survived, it could be major win for me. Ironically, if I didn't cast Summon Starlight on it, going for healing spell from Ghyran, that was our realm for that game, it would survived. His clawlord didn't roll a single 3, so SS was useless.

Ripperdactyls rarely charged what I wanted them to. All my opponents were clever enough to protect important heroes. Carno did really poor. Did kill only a couple of stormcast through the whole tournament. But I think, I didn't choose proper targets for him too. In the first game I shouldn't go for Blightkings, I had to put him a bit away, so my opponent had either to leave objectives, or to send squishy heroes to go for him. It could made me game.

In fourth game, I could deny objective, because hero with artefact counted as 20 models.

In last game I shouldn't go for abomination at all and better went to kill clanrats.

So the guy not lost on me yet, but I don't think he's worth his points.

Also no one ever tried to attack Slann. I even thinking about giving artefacts to other Heroes next time.

Skinks are what makes us competitive. Swarming objectives with them is the only way to get a chance against top-tier lists.

Double bastiladons seem not worth it outside of thunderquake. One is enough, and other one could be summoned.

I want to test Dracotion's Tail next time. Full control over who goes first and appearing anywhere I want on the field is fun, despite law model count.

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I certainly enjoy this approach

GuaDan and Nart like this.
  7. GuaDan
    Kroxigor

GuaDan Well-Known Member

I think it is the best we have access to, but I gave up on it so far as it is very difficult in high point games if (like me) you are not familiar with the various battle scenarios and enemy armies.

LizardWizard likes this.
  8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

That is fair. I have put a few hours of study into each battleplan and how best to approach it with my specific list.

GuaDan likes this.