1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 2000 versus Dwarfs

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Trociu, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Trociu
    Chameleon Skink

Trociu Active Member

Hi all!
    I was very bored yesterday at work so i decided to write battle report about friendly match from saturday. Here it is:

2000 points versus dwarfs. Of course we made many mistakes (it always
    happens when only one of the players read BRB... grrr, those lazy scums).

It was dawn attack, from my left to right I deployed:

Code:
    7 cold ones with spears and full command
    14 skink skirmishers javelin and beast priest with fireball bound spell (ruby ring of ruin)
    28 saurus with spears and bsb veteran (wailing banner) 
    10 temple guard with +1M (banner of swiftness) and revered with +1 attack (sword of battle)
    Slann, harmonic, channeling staff, loremaster of high magic and earthning rod
    that gives one re-roll on miscast table
    13 skink skirmishers with javelins and heaven priest lvl 2 (ward 6+ thanks to ironcurse icon and enchanted shield - because i had 5 points left)
    Cowboy veteran on cold one with dawnstone and gamblers armour (I wanted him
    to live)

My friend deployed after me, from my left:

Code:
    Organ gun 
    Engineer 
    20 thunderers full command
    Hammerers with lord on shield and runesmith, full command of course
    Another organ fun :-)
    Big unit of longbeards with full command
    About 14 ironbreakers with runesmith and full command
    Bolt thrower. 

I also had 5 chameleons which I deployed near first organ gun in boiling river (3 instant dead).

Lizardmen 1
    I decided to start - chameleons killed 1 of the crew, beast skinks entered
    magic building (acropolis of heroes but with rules out of nowhere - don't know how we read this from BRB) and killed also crew member (building gave them +1 to hit, +1 to wound from doom stone near organ gun). Rest marched forward but cowboy moved slowly through river and into forest (which tried to kill him). Magic did nothing besides blizzard on organ gun in the middle - it was cast with irresistible force (magical feedback wounds beast priest and slann). Looks like +4 to dispel and stealing power dices can be annoying.

Dwarfs 1
    Moving forward - longbeards will try to charge building, Hammerers rather wait for saurus to be killed by organ but blizzard is really helpful. Why I haven't used it before? Thunderers and other organ gun leave 2 cold ones alive.

Lizardmen 2
    Cold ones charge into engineer, chameleons and skinks do nothing to organ gun. Saurus and temple guard move forward like cowboy, heaven skinks in building kill few longbeards. Magic gives saurus advanced hand of glory, chain lightning dispelled with rune.

Dwarfs 2
    Organ guns kill saurus - I'm reduced to 3x6. Longbeards charge building and kill almost nothing, bolt misses temple guards. One cold one dies but inflicts 1 wound and engineer retreats, champion pursues into thunderers. Hammerers still do nothing.

Lizardmen 3
    Chameleons can't kill engineer, beast skinks do nothing to organ gun. Cold one and thunderers fell asleep because nothing happens! Saurus charge into hammerers, blood is spilled on both sides. Forgot to charge into longbeards
    with my temple guards so I moved them to organ gun. Veteran charges into bolt thrower and kills one dwarf. As for magic Slann casts fiery convocation on hammerers - yupi. Hand of glory helped saurus again.

Dwarfs 3
    Fiery convocation dispelled :-(
    Organ guns do almost nothing (first time since we started to play he doesn't get about 20 shots every round from both which i think is fair), one thunderer killed by cold one, engineer stops running. Lord on shield killed saurus champion in challenge but they hold. I don't remember how my saurus warriors were reduced to 2x6
    before striking so my spears gave me nothing (I wanted to take hand weapon but forgot to tell opponent that I'm proxing them). Longbeards still try to kill skinks in building. Veteran on cold one killed bolt thrower crew.

Lizardmen 4
    Cold one rider made thunderers run and killed them all (about 14 killed by one!), chameleons and skinks killed organ gun. Temple guards killed second organ and reformed to face back of hammerers. Hammerers killed saurus (some
    of them died before) and reformed. Skinks shoot from building killing some longbeards, veteran marches slowly to the battle.

Dwarfs 4
    Hammerers charge temple guards which run (forgot that standard bearer should die in that moment). Engineer forgot to move and longbeards conquered building. Iron breakers try to get ready to charge temple guards but they
    are too far to make it in next round (don't think they haven't done anything - they were trying to bomb building whole time - I don't know if it was champion or runesmith who had bombs).

Lizardmen 5
    Temple guards decided to face Hammerers, hand of glory cast by Slann should help them. Beast skinks killed some of Hammerers with fireball and slann used soul quench on them. I'm pivoting with cold one to charge engineer, shoot on engineer with chameleons and skinks and get ready with veteran on cold one to counter charge hammerers.

Dwarfs 5
    Hammerers charged temple guards and left 3 alive but are reduced to Lord, runesmith and champion. Longbeards get out of building, iron breakers come closer to temple guards.

Break
    Here we made break and went to cinema to watch hobbit.
    SPOILER thanks to me winning game this evening wasn't as bad as it could END OF SPOILER.
    Maybe that's why engineer done nothing - 4th and 5th turn we did in hurry - in about 20 minutes.
    Back to the battle

Lizardmen 6
    My friend said that making this turn is unnecessary but I had to kill this one last hammerer. Too many good saurus died because of this unit in the past. Hand of glory on temple guards, soul quench and fireball on engineer
    (I had to be sure he will die and he did). I moved cold one behind hammerers (I didn't thought they could run, but better be prepared). Veteran on cold one couldn't charge so he stayed away. Lord and his shield bearers were tired (9th hour on the battlefield) and did nothing! Runesmith and hammerer champion were killed - 12 for leadership and lord runs away but doesn't run into cold one champion. Temple guards run after him but, my God, when dwarfs finally start to run they are fast, and looks like Lords are best at this. He almost got to my skinks!

Dwarfs 6
    Lord stopped running. Iron breakers get to temple guards but Revered Guardian makes it and lives. Longbeards do nothing. If not my cheating the revered would get his name on that day.

Outcome:
    Lizardmen win having 200 points more. My friend had finally bad or neutral luck, as always I had neutral or bad luck. We made mistakes (biggest with temple guard standard not dying when fled - it probably gave me this 2 wounds to kill runesmith and this one saurus that lived - then we would have a draw). I need to remember about halberds brought to battlefield by temple guards. Smaller mistake - skinks in building not rolling for leadership (I thought that units don't run from buildings, but they probably wouldn't because Slann was always there).

If you see in this battle report something made wrong then please correct me (even if it's about language!)

PS
    Question: skirmishers cannot be steadfast, buildings make units steadfast.
    Skirmishers in building are or are not steadfast?