1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 2000pt Skink Army

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Theo, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Theo
    Skink

Theo Member

Hey guys, newcomer here, I am trying to figure out a nice 2000pt army to start building towards. I am really liking the idea of a skink army, seeing as there is the kickass shadowstrike starhost along with most of the cool dinos being mounted by skinks I think it’s doable to make a pretty nice Skink army list. So my first thought was to get both the thunderquake and the Shadowstrike starhost. However I quickly realized that I wouldn’t be able to field both of them without hugely limiting my leader pool. What do you guys feel about these two lists? What would you change about them?

List 1:
    Leaders
    Skink Starpriest (100)
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    Skink Chief (60)
    -General
    Skink Chief (60)
    Skink Priest (100)
    -Priestly Trappings

Units
    Ripperdactyl Riders x 3 (140)
    Skinks x 40 (320)
    -Boltspitters & Star bucklers
    Skinks x 10 (80)
    Skinks x 10 (80)
    Chameleon Skinks x 5 (120)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (300)
    Stegadon (260)

Batallions
    Shadowstrike Starhost (120)

Total:2000/2000

Pros: lots of Magic, lots of synergy and lots of buffing

Cons: lacking in bruteforce and might die too fast, losing leaders quickly might cripple the army.

List 2:
    Leaders
    Skink Starpriest (100)
    Skink Chief (60)
    -General

Units
    Skinks x 30 (240)
    Skinks x 10 (80)
    Skinks x 10 (80)
    Kroxigor x 3 (180)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (300)
    Stegadon (260)
    Troglodon (200)

War Machines

Batallions
    Thunderquake Starhost (120)

Total:2000/2000

Pros: So many beefy monsters, lots of bruteforce and pretty nice mix between mobility and tanks.

Cons: Weak magic game, not too much buffing and wasted potential of the thunderquake without a slann for magic vessel and extra healing.

dwarfepic and Bowser like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

These are both awesome lists. The first one is pretty squishy though, so I personally like the second one. But the damage output on that first list can be quite devastating. Tough choice.

dwarfepic and Theo like this.
  3. Theo
    Skink

Theo Member

Yea that's what i thought aswell. What do you think about the slann in the first list? Do you think he is worth it for the spells. I would really like one in the 2nd list for the extra heal and trog synergy but there just isn't enough points : /

Bowser likes this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

The slann definitely helps the big guys here. There is just no way to fit him in the second list though. But it still works pretty well on it's own. I think the two star hosts give it quite a big advantage as it is. So while the slann would be nice, it isn't army breaking to exclude him.

5. dwarfepic
    Chameleon Skink

dwarfepic Active Member

I prefer the second list most, but they are both very potent lists. in the second the kroxigor are a great choice, as they are a very tanky unit, and can deal a lot of damage. just be careful with the placements of the skinks as they are very squishy. do not be afraid to use the wary fighters rule, and keep your battle line alive.

Theo and Bowser like this.
  6. Theo
    Skink

Theo Member

Thanks for the nice playing tips :)! I agree with that the first list might be too squishy. Do you think the second list will still be fine even though it barely has any magic? Ive been kinda thinking about mixing the two lists but I kinda just come to the conclusion that the 2nd list is just better.

Like I was trying to cut the thunderquake to still field some extra magic but then I ended up having to also field a priest for the reroll save thats built in to the starhost so I just get back to the same point but losing the awesome starhost. I really want a 40 skink unit though :/

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  7. Theo
    Skink

Theo Member

I've come up with a mixed list that I kinda like. What do you guys think?

Leaders
    Skink Chief (60)
    -General
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    Skink Chief (60)
    Skink Priest (100)
    - Priestly Trappings

Units
    Skinks x 30 (240)
    Skinks x 10 (80)
    Skinks x 10 (80)
    Kroxigor x 3 (180)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (300)
    Stegadon (260)

Batallions

Total: 2000/2000

It's the first list but I'm swapping out a starpriest and 10 skinks for some krox, that way it gets some more beef but still has lots of magic. Unfortunately though the tradeoff is no thunderquake. Is the thunderquake too good to give up for the slann?

I also just realized that if you were to remove slann and a chief and add a trog and thunderquake you would have the 2nd list. So I guess the question is

Slann+Chief or Trog+thunder?

8. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I think stick with the slann and chief. The great thing is that you have an option that keeps the bulk of the same army, but allows you to play it completely differently.

9. dwarfepic
    Chameleon Skink

dwarfepic Active Member

Slann and chief is the wau to go. Flexibilty, magic and constelations are to much to give up.

Also, on the chameleons, i find that to realy utilise them, two units of five or a unit of ten is best. Five on there own is a lacking in punch. If you have the right buffs, then five is good though.aybe try some sallies instead to melt anything near the slann.

Bowser and Theo like this.
  10. Theo
    Skink

Theo Member

Hey guys thanks so much for all the help! I think I will be getting the slann. He is just too cool to pass up on :D! Nice thing with the two lists like bowser said is I can just swap out one unit and have lists that play out very differently. Do you reckon swapping the chams for sallys or razor to protect the slann is better?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Bowser and dwarfepic like this.
  11. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

The razors are more consistent but you can get a better damage output from the sallies. Tough to say, but as they are defense for the slann I would take the razordons.

Theo and dwarfepic like this.