1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 2k Competitive List Help for Newbie

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Vallek, Jun 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Vallek
    Cold One

Vallek Member

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking some and have to admit that I am floored by the diversity of builds for Seraphon armies.

I have some friends that are trying to get me back into Warhammer, I was a long time Skaven player but haven't played anything since AoS. I decided to switch to Seraphon because, well, dinosaurs and living frog-gods of magic is just amazingly cool.

Here is where I need help. These guys are VERY competitive. They play fairly cut throat. So, instead of me just throwing my money at things that look cool but aren't worth their points, I'd greatly appreciate some advice. Right now their strongest player is playing an Orc army and is the one that gets bonuses to hunting monsters. Knowing this it will be an uphill battle facing him for sure.

Stuff that I've noticed are common.

1. Salamanders. They seem to make it into 75% of your lists so I'm guessing they are good performers.
    2. Terradons > Ripperdactyls. Again, it seems almost every list favors them.
    3. Solar Engines. Again, commonly featured
    4. Scar Vet on Carnosaur with Saurian Cavalry screen seems to almost always pay for itself.

Please, any additional advice would be VERY welcome as I feel like I'm drowning in options.

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Welcome to Seraphon!

These are units that will never be wasted:
    • Lord Kroak
    • Skinks
    • Salamanders
    • Starpriest
    • Slann
    • Kroxigor
    • Terradons

Vallek likes this.
  3. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

right now your best bet is prolly a mortal wound spell and skink/salamander spam build in a starborn build. I do not have my book on me at work and haven't memorized the new points yet so this would be a rough draft/outline. but you can go with kroak slann astrolith bearer, and a star priest or two for heroes. then build out battle line with blow pipe skinks with at least one max sized unit. fill the remainder of your points with salamnders, Balewind vortex, and some damaging endless spells like purple sun, pendulum and jaws

Nart, LizardWizard and Vallek like this.
  4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Our Endless Spells are great. Bound Geminids should be in every list :D

Grotpunter likes this.
  5. Vallek
    Cold One

Vallek Member

Hmm, so if the majority of suggestions point toward Kroak, Slann, Skinks, and Bound Spells I'll assume that Starborne is the best choice.

Fangs of Sotek definitely feels like the skink heavy option. Dracothion's Tail feels like a more general option and ultimately I feel I could field the same force as either. The Serpent God Dagger feels incredibly niche while Godbeast Pendant looks ok on anyone.

Between the two I lean toward Dracothion's Tail. The ability to teleport in a reserve unit of skinks whom can contest objectives or lay down sudden fire to add pressure on a flank just seems like a no brainer in competitive play. Plus, if I'm going to focus on spell casting then Ancient Knowledge is just an amazing trait.

If I'm way off base on this assessment please feel free to correct me. I'm trying to learn.

Nart and LizardWizard like this.
  6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

If you want to run skink blobs then FoS is better than DT. The command ability for FoS carries a lot of weight.

Putzfrau likes this.
  7. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

I always think you should start off with models you enjoy, but like @LizardWizard said there are some units you just can't go wrong with.

Skinks and some skink heroes will always be strong.

If you love the saurus/dino side of things, I wouldn't be dissuaded. Knight lists can be very strong, as can Thunder Lizard lists that revolve around double tapping bastiladons.

LizardWizard likes this.
  8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Very true! Most things in our battletome are viable. The difference in optimal vs viable is pretty low for our army, but still highly impactful for organized play.

Putzfrau likes this.
  9. Krissey
    Cold One

Krissey Active Member

Jokes on you I enjoy them all. Just like a Pokemon Master I aim to catch them all. And then use them in an effective least at least once. I'm trying to build lists that are at least decent and use at least every single warscroll in the battletome once. :p

I've started with a Thunderquake Thunder Lizard list for now though. I'm obsessed with min/maxing Kroxigors.

When you love all of the models...you can't(?) go wrong with any of them...? lmao

LizardWizard and Putzfrau like this.
  10. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

It is a particularly awesome range. Why i've never felt the need to pick up another army!

LizardWizard likes this.
  11. Vallek
    Cold One

Vallek Member

Ok, so after reading over all of your great suggestions I do have a few questions.

The skink warscroll entry seems a little odd to me. I'm still adjusting to AoS. Are all skinks assumed to have all of the weapons listed by default?

Is the Skink Oracle or Engine of the Gods a worthwhile investment?

LizardWizard likes this.
  12. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

The skinks can have different loadouts.

javelin and shield And dagger
    Boltspitter and shield and dagger
    Club and shield
    Club and boltspitter

LizardWizard and Vallek like this.
  13. Vallek
    Cold One

Vallek Member

Is there an optimal load out when going with a large number? My instinct says boltspitter and club since moving a 6+ save to a 5+ isn't exactly stellar but 4+/4+ on the club is notably better than 5+/5+ on the dagger.

LizardWizard likes this.
  14. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

you wont be using them in melee, and a 5+ is exactly twice as good as a 6+ and is the single best one number move in the game for saves lol (excepting 2+ to 1+ which I haven't seen on a Warscroll) you will be using the Starpriest staff ability to make their 6's mortals, and for that you want 40x 16" ranged attacks

Nart, LizardWizard and Krissey like this.
  15. Krissey
    Cold One

Krissey Active Member

Not to mention you can improve skink saves a variety of other ways. The Starseer spell, the Skink Priest ability...

LizardWizard likes this.
  16. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

Output wise a block of 40 skinks is better run with the clubs and bolts, small units want bolts and shields. But 40 with bolts and shields is still good anyway

LizardWizard likes this.
  17. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

that's assuming the skinks survive to use the clubs. you never want your 40 man skinks in combat with anything you cant guarantee they hit first, and planning to get into melee is poor tactics. that 5+ save is far more useful in preserving the bonus's and shot volume of the horde, and they still have the dagger for melee if you get caught out or have to charge for a specific reason. remember, with those melee weapons there is absolutely zero chance you are getting all 40 melee attacks in, so don't base your math on that.

Nart and LizardWizard like this.
  18. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

Im not, im just saying that output wise clubs is better

LizardWizard and ILKAIN like this.
  19. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

ok, I understand that.

but advising a newer or less experienced player to build a list solely on output is a disservice to them, especially in Seraphon. which is what you are doing when you advise to use only smaller units with the shield.

LizardWizard likes this.
  20. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

It was asked what is optimal and i said output wise bolt and club. But whatever, doesnt make too much difference either way, both perform fine

LizardWizard likes this.