1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3-way games. Not sure where to put this....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KroxigorsFTW, Aug 11, 2009.

1. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

Hi all, i was wondering, is a 3 player game viable in fantasy? If so, how would you go about setting one up? We've tried to do one (with stranged squares for deployment zones) and that didn't really seem to work. Also, how would you go about extra DD (because your facing x2 the magic, in theroy.) I'd like to know this because our game group tend to 'fall' into 3 player games (most of the time with a near-cheater whose winey brother knows less then he can admitt.) So i'd really like to know so next time, we will have it down.

Thanks

(Is this in the right place? I wasn't sure where to put it.)

2. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

When ever our group plays multiplayer games we tend to use a 'square' battlefield. This allows 3-4 players to set up and make it so that units must be a certian distance from one another (over the corners). With magic, we tend to follow the rules exactly as they are laid out in the rule book. This means that you could be facing a lot of magic, but the dispell dice are typically shared by each side (if you have multiple players on the same side). We haven't had too many situations where 3 players all have viable magic phases and DD need to be worked out in detail (surprisingly enough).

This is one way to do things, there are probably other ways that are better or just as good.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Team battles are a bit different because if every player on the team gets two pool dice it becomes a lot. You generally just make it so each team gets 2-3 pool dice to share, and other dice generated can only be used by the player generating them of course. Dispel dice can go anywhere.

In all on all, yeah I have just followed the main rulebook. It becomes a little bit complicated sometimes, but works out ok especially if the battle isn't huge. And we generally deploy from corners rather than edges with fairly small deployment areas so only some things get on the battlefield and the other come on as reserves during the game. Up to you though, multiplayer games are always a lot more casual and just for fun IMO so as long as it works out fair for everyone and everyone agrees then play it however you like. You could even choose to leave magic out.

4. thesecondman
    Temple Guard

thesecondman New Member

As armies create 2 power dice passively, give one each to both players on the double-team. Then let their casters create their own. (unless one of them has no casters, or if you both agree to give them all to one player, of course).

When playing with 2 armies, use the same composition rules as a single of the same points.
    For example, take a 1000 points battle (1000 points vs 2x500 points).
    In a normal 1000 point list, lets say you can take 3 heroes and one rare (for example).
    In a double-team 1000 point list, the double-team has to follow the same guidelines (for example, ONLY ONE of them would be able to have a rare, and both cpuld NOT have TWO heroes).

Additionally, a good way to do a 3 way is to do the scenario in the Warhammer rulebook that causes the defender (1000 single army dude/girl) to deploy in the middle of the table, when two half sized (convenient, eh) forces deploy on EITHER SIDE of him. A least i'm farly sure its still in the rulebook. Check out all the scenarios.

Have fun, don't squabble of the power dice too much. ;p

5. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

Well, ours are 3 way round robins... They're prety fun and even though i hate to say it, its better when you and horror spammer have a secret plan to put the other guy in his place....

Oh, and we won't squabble of PD, we'll squabble of Dispell dice (we couldn't figure out how to do it farily 3 way, one of the guys said 3 base, though we decided 4 base, the other guys was just making it less becasue he'd have more [DD and PD] he he was doing freaking Horror Spam)

6. TheAncientOne
    Cold One

TheAncientOne New Member

Lol.
    But I agree, 2 1/2 size armies, and one full-size!!

7. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

Well, seing as that seems to be te most common 'how to'/'best way' I'll give it a try next time we need to do a 3 way. Thanks guys.

8. thesecondman
    Temple Guard

thesecondman New Member

2 power dice and 2 dispel dice, like a normal army. otherwise unfair.

9. TheAncientOne
    Cold One

TheAncientOne New Member

Yeah, It's easy, and you don't have too make wacked deployement, etc.

10. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

Yeah, and you don't need to 'compensate' with extra DD either.

11. TheAncientOne
    Cold One

TheAncientOne New Member

Yeah, they 2on1 means you don't have to make up rules or spend a half hour looking through the book for non-existent ones.