1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age 9th: whats next?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Mr Phat, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

Hey scalemates!

Lately ive been thinking a lot of 9th Age and its evolution.
    What it came from, what it is and what it is becoming.
    On that I would like to ask: what are your thoughts when you imagine 9th Age 2years from now?

What are you hoping will happen to and with it?

Wishes, expectations, predictions; everything goes!

I am asking to get an idea of what Lustria roars for!

2. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

I have a bunch of things I'd like to see, but I'll just pick the most important ones:
    • Special characters
    • Appendix Lists (not tournament legal, but for the more casual crowd)
    • Alternative books such as Kislev, cathay etc (again probably not tournament legal)
    • Campaigns
    • fully integrated fluff and artwork (first book should be ready for December)
    :D

serbianwolf, Mr Phat and Tlaxbitza like this.
  3. themuffinman873
    Chameleon Skink

themuffinman873 Member

I would love to see the 8th community come back and see a tournament like the good ol' days. Our 8th community scattered to the winds of war gaming and have forsaken warhammer out of spite. Though, most players I know of have played the game off and on for some time. Hopefully the 9th age community stays fresh and enthusiastic while people's spite diminishes and they start to realize that 9th is looking like what most 8th players always wanted, a rules community that listens, playtests, and acts.

Game play wise I want to see team rules that make sense. It should be geared towards speedy play, as the game is long enough with 1v1. Also different scenerios, like attacker vs defender where defender has a single deployment, but attacker gets constant reinforcements.

Mr Phat likes this.
  4. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Had this thought myself! :D

It would be a nice way to "playtest" new unit entries.
    If such a list provides a unit that makes perfect sense to the rule and army book team, it offer a neat opportunity to addopt!

I know the developers are trying to streamline it as much as possible to speed up play.
    Like: No army specific bound spells. They have to come from the magical path compendium :)

Regarding scenarios I think it will take some time. 9th age highly directs its design to tournament friendly scenarios, and too many variations would make it hard to control.
    However! I see no reason why some "casual" scenarios wouldnt pop up! :D
    After reading your idea I might actually propose to make make a sub forum / compendium for alternative scenarios.

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I really like what I have seen so far. I hope that they continue to follow this path and stay true to the "original" game. I'm happy to see the game evolve and grow as time goes on, but never to a point where it feels like a completely different game.

I'm looking forward to the introduction (or re-introduction) of special characters. I'm also eagerly awaiting the more finalized versions of the army books... the 1.0.

6. Kurare
    Skink

Kurare New Member

Maybe I am too optimistic, but what I really like to see is that the 9th age turns to be the main core rules for the fantasy Wargames community across the globe, an maybe in that case many miniature companies think that could be profitable to make miniatures to this " free for all rules" and for example, if in the future we have rules for a skink riding a giant coalt some company (scibour, Gamezone...) could do it. in this case the future of the game would be assured.

7. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

We've already had some companies to show support, however it's a proposition that needs to be carefully dealt with. If for instance company X want to create a model for T9A they might want to have a say in the rules or dictate what new units they'd like to see. I'm not saying that will happen, just that the possibility is there. Once a company invest money they also want to see a return which implies that their models could in some way be prioritized.

It's a delicate situation, but also extremely interesting. I'm definately excited for the future of the project and the potential it holds.

Kurare likes this.
  8. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

I imagine it more like the bags for vacuum cleaners... Companies produce models on their own and maybe in the armybooks you find a list which models from which company you can use to put a unit on the table... Just a idea from my mad brain... ;)

9. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Well, I just hope 9th will unite the fantasy player base again.
    With people sticking with 8th, moving to 9th, KoW, AoS or simply quittig, it is currently too fragemented for my liking.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  10. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

True! Hard to find a group that plays all the same thing...

11. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Well, my entire community adopted 9th the second ETC said "we roll with this".

12. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

Lord Grok Of Xillaqua Well-Known Member

I'm trying to get some people interested in it but most are playing 40K in my region. I'm incredibly pleased with how 9th Age is turning out for most factions. I'm most anxious to see the fluff and background for the factions in the near future, but that is still a long way off from now.

13. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

TK is December I believe :)

14. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

That's sooner than I thought. I was originally thinking March of next year.

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That would be my biggest hope, although I find it highly unlikely. 9th age and AoS are reaching for the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of players. KoW is direct competition with 9th but they have model support. I feel 9th Age could do very well in the tournament scene.

16. skink chief
    Kroxigor

skink chief Active Member

Yeah I played KOW and must say I don't think it is a tournament worthy game. I needed an 12 on 2 dice to get rid of hes strongest unit, got it. I needed an 11 for 40* seaguard to break, I got it, game over... first turn my canon blew half hes princess to peices after throwing a 5.. It is a game that you can get lucky very fast or unlucky very fast imo.

17. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Yeah, that is true. The good thing however is that 9th and Kow, although competitors dont seem to bite each other base and model wise. What i mean that you could use your armies without too many difficulties in both systems. Perhaps, in a weird way they may even support each other a little.

18. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

For the most part 9th have caught on in Europe, however USA is much more split and not unified in the same way (ETC). With that said I'm seeing more and more tournaments in the US.

With that said I think a lot of players are waiting for more balanced armies. There are still a lot of quirks and playing with beta rules in a tournament might be a no-go for some.

I believe 9th have a decent shot of unifying players, but it's a long process. It'll probably never be like before though.

19. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

At least in the US, there is a build-up of support for it. I'm in Canada and no one seems to have heard of 9th Age, and when I try to tell them about it, they seem very disinterested because they say their 8th edition books would then be "useless" now or the AOS is easier to get into. Only 2 of my friends have given it a try but they play very rarely and i'm dying for more playtesting :(

20. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Well.. yes it would make older books useless, but the new books are free <.<
    Hopefully it'll be easier as time goes.
    Do you play other armies?