1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS A few Death questions

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Aginor, Apr 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Eh, no. I just looked up the warscroll in the app again. It clearly says: command ability: "Lord of Bones" which is exactly the same as the Vampire Lord's command ability, only for Deathrattle instead of all Death, and with more range.
    tmp_27801-Screenshot_20170412-0025331358082480.png

Bowser likes this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Ah I think I found the issue!
    @Killer Angel you are using an old warscroll, probably from the compendium. The CA is missing there.

Killer Angel and Bowser like this.
  3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Indeed I was!
    This makes the Wight King much more useful! :)

I really need to check all the warscrolls of the single models... :confused:

Bowser and Aginor like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Well, I'll get a Vampire anyway, so no harm done. :)

...but it really makes me wonder what other warscrolls may be different than I think, because when I started the hobby, before I installed the app, I also took quite a lot of info out of the compendium warscrolls, since I expected them to get updated.

Killer Angel and Bowser like this.
  5. Aginor
    Slann

Ok we ordered some stuff. 250€ worth of Death stuff to be honest. :oops::eek:

Oh and btw: Did you see those new Shadespire Skellies? Nice work by GW there.
    I especially like the pants-less Scythe dude/lady. I bet he/she was a fun guy/gal when he/she was still alive. [​IMG]

Bowser and Seraphage like this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

Related question, to someone who has built a Mortarch, such as Mannfred or Arkhan:

Is it possible to use the leftover bits to build a complete model? So basically the question is: Do Mannfred and Arkhan share parts?
    My idea would be to use parts of Arkhan (my friend is going to build Mannfred) and some Orc bits and/or some bits of the coven throne to build a custom Wight King with Battle Standard.

Alternatively: If someone built Arkhan, could it be possible to sue Mannfred as a Vampire on foot?

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I built Arkhan and I have Mannfred on my Zombie dragon, you get Neferata as well but she is sat side saddle, if you warm the legs up and reposition them yes you can easily have them on foot,

8. Aginor
    Slann

Nice, I'll try that. Thank you!

Bowser, Crowsfoot and Ritual like this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Next question:
    What base size is a Necromancer supposed to be on?
    I have to buy some since they aren't included.... also grrrrr GW Skellies are so expensive and they don't even come with bases? Arrrrgh.....

Bowser likes this.
  10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

They were 20*20 sq so is it 26mm or 28mm round

Bowser likes this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

Meh, won't work with those Reaper minis.
    They come with rocks and bones they are standing on which are a tiny tad too big.
    I'll use 32mm I guess.

Thanks anyway!

Ritual and Bowser like this.
  12. MorpheusFT
    Jungle Swarm

MorpheusFT New Member

The wight king actually has a command ability. +1 attack for one Deathrattle unit within 18''.
    https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-wightking-en.pdf

Bowser likes this.
  13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Bowser likes this.
  14. Aginor
    Slann

I have a question about Death again:

If I have two Wight Kings with Infernal standards, does a slain skeleton which is range of both get two 6+ saves in order to not die?
    The ability's text does NOT say something like "if the model is in range of ANY infernal standards", but it just says "in range of an infernal standard" which I read as "roll for both".
    Not that I'd want to run two Wight Kings with standards, I just wondered.

EDIT: Also how do you protect your Necromancers from being sniped so they can do the Danse Macabre? Just put them right behind the skeletons?

Crowsfoot likes this.
  15. Crowsfoot
    Slann

The wording of the warscroll implies any standard so if your in range of 2 you get 2 rolls, place him behind your death units but still in range to cast his spell, if your worried the protecting unit will get out of range after casting Danse place him on a nightmare so he can move 10"

Aginor likes this.
  16. Aginor
    Slann

Thanks!

Oh, and do I read that correctly:

When I have 40 Skeletons each of them has three attacks with their spears, plus one attack additionally for the boss.
    A Wight King (or Vampire Lord on foot) uses his command ability, so they each get one attack more.
    A Necromancer uses his Danse Macabre on them, so they attack twice in the combat phase.

Questions:
    A: Provided I activate that unit first, will my opponent get a chance to strike back before the second pile-in and attack, so will I just get to activate this unit once again at some point in the combat phase without changing the sequence? Or will I just strike twice like with a Quicksilver potion?
    B: Does the above situation really mean that (provided all of them are positioned so they can actually hit something) I get to make ....322?... more than three hundred attacks???
    C: Those spears have 2" of range, a base is 25mm which is JUST below 1" (2.54cm). Does that mean that the third rank of skellies can still hit the enemy (if everyone is standing base to base contact) with each other and the enemy?

Crowsfoot likes this.
  17. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I think it goes like this,

A. you make all your attacks at the same time.

B. if you calculated it right yes.

C. No first 2 ranks only, theoretically if you had your skeletons on 20mm sg bases the third rank would be in range that's why round bases are becoming the norm in tournaments etc.

Aginor likes this.
  18. Killer Angel
    Slann

FAQ clarified that an ability that let you attack twice, this means that the opponent can strike back before your second pile-in + Attacks.
    Only if the ability tells "immediately attack a second time" then you do a double attack before any reaction.

Well, I'm not doing numbers, but this one is pretty theoretical and optimistic.

that depends on the effective size of the bases (square ones are smaller than rounded ones)
    Square and circle have both advantages and disadvantages.

Aginor and Crowsfoot like this.
  19. Aginor
    Slann

Oh, and another one:

The sweet spot for damage is clearly 40+ skeletons.
    However there is also a reason to take smaller units: If each has a standard bearer I can regenerate more Skellies (1d6 per group). So theoretically you get more regeneration rolls when using small units. A very small group is pretty likely to die quickly though, so 10 might not be a good idea.

But maybe thirty?
    Losing one attack each, but less unwieldy and gaining a bit of regen.

Example: 120 Skeletons (Hell yeah big horde)
    three groups of 40 or four groups of thirty?

20. Aginor
    Slann

Ok, thanks, but....

Why? 2"=51mm, and especially if you set them set off to each other that should be in range. I don't get it.

Yeah, 40 Skellies reaching the enemy in one piece is pretty optimistic in the first place. :D Still impressive.

Also it seems I missed that FAQ about Death, will read into that soon. Thanks!