1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS A friend of mine came up with a balancing idea

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Scalenex, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Granted he doesn't like army points. "Bring back points" would be my idea.

Anyway. His idea was to standardize warscrolls and you decide whether you fight with 3, 5, ,7 or 39 war scrolls.

Rather than a warscroll being "as many Saurus as you want," a war scroll would be 25 Saurus Warriors. Another might be 20 Temple Guard. Etc.

I don't know what the numbers would be but if the official or unofficial "standard" war scroll seems bad it can be fudged. If say officially 25 Saurus Warriors seems too strong compared to other war scrolls you can turn it to 22 and see how that works. Too weak, add wounds.

The downside is there are hundreds of units to balance like this and there would be a subdivision for character and non-character war scrolls.

2. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I have been thinking the two most significant factors are wounds AND damage output.

53 models x 1 wound each x 3 damage hits/turn = 159 point unit;
    20 models x 2 wounds each x 4 damage hits/turn = 160 point unit......?

Maybe that would be a rough basis to balance warscrolls per your friend's suggestion.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

4. pendrake
    Skink Priest

5. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

6. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

In Reddit, one guy suggested using GW's price of the model as points, as stronger units cost more, and heroes and lords are pretty expensive. He said he playtested it 5 times with friends and that it worked rather well for them.

Qupakoco and Ixt like this.
  7. pendrake
    Skink Priest

:D
    Did he mention which currency they tried it with? :angelic:

8. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

No, but Reddit seems to be largely American, so I' assuming USD, or maybe GBP. But I guess it wouldn't matter even if they used NZD, since the comparative price/point values stay the same. Price increases might pose a problem, though. But doesn't GW usually rise all the prices by the samd percentage?

Ixt likes this.
  9. pendrake
    Skink Priest

There were some L-O members, residents of OZ or NZ, complaining otherwise a few weeks ago...so, IDK.

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That is too funny... especially since it seemingly works! :D

11. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Someone made a formula on how to calculate point costs on models, similar to what @pendrake did:

https://sites.google.com/site/ageofsigmarsdk/sdksystem

In addition to damage and stats, it claims to take keyword specific properties into account. No idea how these numbers were determined. Also, it has a faction spesific (I think?) PVS-modifier, that is supposed to "take care of the over-/underrating of extremes", "very weak units cost too much and very strong units cost not enough" kind of things. I don't really understand how you are supposed to use the PVS-modifier, I haven't read the files that the link to Dropbox provides. At the moment, it has separate files for High Elves and Dwarves, which makes me think the PVS is a race-spesific.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Fail, didn't notice there was already a thread about this: http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/age-of-sigmar-sdk-math-based-point-system.16608/