1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Girl's Purple Lizzies

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Kirkegaard, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Kirkegaard
    Skink

Kirkegaard New Member

Hey everybody!

My name is Celia, and I'm 19 years old.. I've recently started my Lizardmen Army, which is my first Warhammer Army. I thought it could be cool to have a painting blog on a Lizardmen Forum for some extra comments and critiscism on my work..

Before this army, I've only painted two models - my first model was an orc (I don't have a picture - sorry) and the second one was a Skink Chieftain which I used for color scheme testing.

Second painted model, ever.

My color scheme is purple and bone (as you can see) and my bases a littered with ruins, tiles, sand and static grass. Some of them will also have vines overgrowing the ruins.

Here is what I have painted so far.....

skink-unit1.jpg
    10 Skink Skirmishers

HPIM2968-1.jpg
    HPIM2970-1.jpg
    10 Saurus Warriors

svar-vet5-2.jpg Image10-2.jpg scar-vet3-2.jpg
    Saurus Scar-Veteran
    I decided to paint him as an albino to show that he is old and marked for greatness.

HPIM2962-1.jpg HPIM2960-1.jpg
    HPIM2964-1.jpg HPIM2958-1.jpg
    Skink Priest with Cloak of Feathers

I hope you like my Lizzies so far, and it would be nice if you had some comments :D

/Kirkegaard

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Nicely done :D
    Great paint scheme, love the conversions,
    Nice basing as well, and hey are well painted.

Can't wait to see more of them. :smug:

Warden likes this.
  3. brokbrok
    Cold One

brokbrok New Member

Sweet stuff, you paint like you've been doing it for years.
    A good shortcut you may not know about yet is picking up one of these little beauties,
    http://www.amazon.com/Sakura-Pigma-Micron-6-Pack-Black/dp/B0008G8G8Y
    Any art store you go to will carry Micron pens, you wanna get the 1mm version as its probably what you'll use most commonly.
    Your pupils on your models are great which makes me think you may already have some microns, if not, go pick one up and you can pupil your whole army in about two minutes.
    They have other uses too, I use them mainly for scroll work in 40k.

Warden likes this.
  4. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

nice work - I'm a big fan of purple lizards :) and you've packed a lot of cool little details in to each unit/model which is great. I love the albino Scar Vet too - nice touch and a great way to make him stand out. Nice conversion work - esp on the Priest!

How long would you think you spent on them?

5. Leokill27
    Razordon

Leokill27 New Member

Absolutely amazing! My girlfriend is painting some space marines Pink and Purple :D

What steps did you take on your Old blood, Im looking to do a similar job but cant get it quite how I like it. You however have hit the nail on the head!

Well done beautiful stuff!

Also, Welcome to the board!

6. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Welcome to Lustria!

I have to agree, your colour selection and painting skills are very good. Keep it up! I love the skink priest conversion too.

Warden likes this.
  7. BezZeMad
    Cold One

BezZeMad Member

Lookin' pretty nice there for some of your first models! (They're almost as good as my current models and I've been painting for 10 years!).*

The only thing I'll say is the banner on Saurus looks like the wash hasn't taken (if it indeed was a wash).
    Apart from that they are looking very nice and I'd like to see more.

Cheers, Bez

*I was 8 when I started, so the first five years or so of painting don't really count.

8. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

nice colors and good execution. what more can one ask for? :)
    for a little constructive critisism, i would say that the snake thing on the saurus banner should be another color. it matches the scales a little bit too well, and it makes it vanish a bit too much if you ask me (which you didnt...). I would also say the same for the spears. i like the fluff of bone spears, but a nice obsidian black would contrast better with the rest of the colors.

cool stuff anyway, hope to see more :)

9. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Very good work. Conversions are great too. I like the contrast on the saurus with the white scales.

10. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

They look great - I'll add my 2 cents to the comments about your bases. They seem unfinished, particularly the lack of weathering on the stones. I'd also paint the edges rather than leaving them black - make them match your movement trays when you get around to that.

11. Kirkegaard
    Skink

Kirkegaard New Member

Wow.. Thanks for the warm welcome and some nice replies :p

Well, do you mean single model or what I've painted so far? The units are easy and very fast to paint - don't know the exact time, but if you'd like I can keep an eye on the clock next time.. My Scar-Vet I'll guess is about 5 hours - with both conversion and paint-job.. My Skink Priest - well, conversion: 2,5 hours and the base 1,5.. The paint-job i guess took me about 5 hours..

Basecoat white, Leviathuan Purple Wash and highlight white.. So it's pretty simple actually :)

I think it's the flash from my camera who's making the colors a bit washed out.. It has been washed and dry brushed :)

I see your point - but I don't think I'm going to change the banner.. The ruins on the bases are painted the same way, and it would be a lot to change - and I don't think it is that bad :p But the spears however... I took your advice and painted them black with grey stripes for a stone structure - and it's much better. Thanks!

What do you mean with "unfinished"? They still lack static grass on the pictures, but otherwise they are done.. Weathering seems nice - how would you do that? :)

Again, thanks for all your comments and constructive critiscism! :D

/Kirkegaard

Jorgik likes this.
  12. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

"Unfinished" in the sense that in the photos they look too brand new, not ancient enough. I'd fix this by having stuff growing in the cracks (thin some glue with water and let it run into the cracks, then apply flock) and weathering with a wash like Devlin Mud. Hope that helps!

13. brokbrok
    Cold One

brokbrok New Member

I'm with Thinkerer on this. The stones look like they're made of the same bone your saurus have on their skin. A good rule of thumb is to have the bases be darker than the models, that way they don't fight your eye for attention. (which im going to completely ignore for my own bases btw)

I'd probably give it a good grey brushing with a liberal coat of devlan mud, but since that's what I do for 40k bases you should probably defer to Thinkerer.

14. BezZeMad
    Cold One

BezZeMad Member

I think it's the flash from my camera who's making the colors a bit washed out.. It has been washed and dry brushed :)

Ahh! The dreaded flash!
    In that case I can't really place any criticisms whatsoever. The Old Blood looks a bit washed out, but that's probably down to the flash as well.

Keep up the good work, Bez

15. Kirkegaard
    Skink

Kirkegaard New Member

Hey there again guys

I know it's been a loooong time since my last post, but I've had quite a break from the hobby. But recently my lizzies caught my attention again, and now I have boosted my army to 1000 points. I guess I'm just going to show my different projects to you - and I will of course explain my thoughts about the different units :p

First thing I'm going to show you, is actually my favourite unit - my Spawning pool. 18 saurus warriors raising from the water. My original plan looked like this:

HPIM3086.jpg

Pictures of the result without the movement tray:

IMG_0184-1.jpg

IMG_0166-1.jpg

IMG_0170-1.jpg

IMG_0172-1.jpg

I wanted to create a feeling of "Hey, we are going to war", and I think the spear bucket and especially the skink handing out shields creates this.

The finally result came to look like this:

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

I've made spots of water on the stairs - it would be a little ninja if they came up from a spawning pool without being soaking wet :p

My next project where my chameleon skinks - I don't like GW's models very much so I chose to convert my own with some filing and green stuffing.

They ended up looking like this:

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

The most important thing to me with this unit was to make them VERY chameleon - natural colors and no gold at all, to show they are kind of loners living on their own in the jungle.

I have also finished a Salamander hunting pack. My thoughts apout this was to make it freaking fiery! So I have made a lava effect between the scales, and I tried to make the crest look like flames. What do you think....?

IMG_0389.jpg

Besides that I have also painted another Skink Priest. Nothing special about that one :rolleyes:

IMG_0526-1.jpg

IMG_0530-1.jpg

And closing of you get a picture of how my army looks so far:

IMG_0535-2.jpg

I'm from Denmark, so I know the spelling isn't the greatest. :D

Feel free to comment and give some constructive critiscism! :)

/Kirkegaard

16. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

AMAZINGLY BRILLIANT WORK PURPLE GIRL, ESPECIALLY ON THE SPAWNING POOL. :smug:

17. Gorfang
    Jungle Swarm

Gorfang New Member

Wow looks like you have been busy. Those all look fantastic. I think I like the spawning pool the best, followed by the tiles

18. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

very cool stuff. i love the swimming sauruses :)

painting quality is brilliant too. very nice :)

only thing i dont like is the black scales on the salamnder. its a very personal thing, but i HATE when scales are darker than the underlying skin IF you can see the bright skin in between. dont really know why, but thats how it always have been for me.

still, they are absolutely amazing, and im a bit jelous. really looking forward to seeing more inspiring stuff :D

Warden likes this.
  19. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Really? I think it looks like lava ;) Looking good though, I love the Saurus coming out of the water.

20. rag
    Saurus

rag New Member

Great colours on the saurus.
    Really like the basing, think with the lighter scales make the models look complete.
    Great work on the saurus clambering out the swamp, fantastic to see the extra effort on the tray and interesting to see the plans you used
    Well done