1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS A More Aggressive Apporach?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by nomis, Oct 17, 2018.

1. nomis
    Cold One

nomis Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have been playing AoS for a few months now and I generally play a lot of objective games. My lists are often based around a Slann and Skinks to overwhelm and dance around the enemy and take objectives.

a 1.5k list generally look something like this.

LEADERS
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    - Command Trait : Great Rememberer
    - Artefact : Prism of Amyntok
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (260)
    Engine of the Gods (220)
    UNITS
    30 x Saurus Warriors (300)
    -Spears
    30 x Skinks (180)
    -Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    20 x Skinks (120)
    -Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    TOTAL: 1500/1500

I was playing stormcast last night and I think i managed to kill about 4 figures in 5 battle rounds and although i held objectives for most rounds, they just beat me to the post by the end of round 5.

Over the course of the game, I had about 130 skinks on the table - until the slann was taken out by a nasty stormcast sniper, totally ruining my tactic of summoning and teleporting the little skinky boys around the table.

I have been thinking about sticking a more aggressive list together for games like that to give me a bit more beef to take down those cheesy golden b*stards!

I have a lot of models but don't really use a lot of them as I generally play my wall of skinks.

What do y'all reckon of this list?

Also, if anyone has any advice on formation that would be cool as i feel like that also let me down last night.

LEADERS
    Lord Kroak (450)
    - General
    Engine of the Gods (220)
    Saurus Eternity Warden (140)
    UNITS
    10 x Saurus Guard (180)
    10 x Saurus Guard (180)
    30 x Saurus Warriors (300)
    -Spears
    TOTAL: 1470/1500

2. GuaDan
    Kroxigor

GuaDan Well-Known Member

Our most aggressive lists are based on the rather strong Shadowstrike Starhost battallion.
    Saurus guards behave more like defensive units and I think (but I'm not alone) that their single wound per model with all the mortal wound output currently in the game and their static playstile make them a sub-optimal choice.

3. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

If you want to be aggressive them I recommend Shadowstrike Starhost. The standard 6 Rippers, 40 Skinks, and some Razordons should be able to Alphas most threats turn one.

However, If you are only playing against ScE then a Kroaknaddo should be very effective.

ChapterAquila92 and nomis like this.
  4. nomis
    Cold One

nomis Well-Known Member

What would you equip your skinks with using shadowstrike? @LizardWizard @GuaDan

Also, cheap way to get a load or razors and rippers? Its a lot to outlay!

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Skinks with blowpipes are slightly better due to range. Javelins have better dice, but lack the range to be able to shoot after moving with LoSaT allegiance ability. I pretty much always take shields as well.

The cheapest way to pick up razordons would be to sculpt some yourself. @Aginor made these. If the person you are playing doesn't mind proxies then just use any appropriately sized oval base. Ripperdacytl's kit is definitely worth the purchase. They are fantastic sprues.

TheCrux, nomis and GuaDan like this.
  6. GuaDan
    Kroxigor

GuaDan Well-Known Member

LizardWizard made good points.
    Blowpipes+shields is usually the way to go, especially for large units. Skinks should almost never attack in melee, and the boltspitter range synergizes well with teleport .

Proxies could be the easiest way to bypass the money problem, if they are allowed in your environment.

Sculpting or molding (with things like Blue Stuff, not that easy with Razordons) can be cheap but laborious alternatives.

You should also check on eBay. It is not uncommon to find a set of Ripperdactyls for about 30€ (just make sure the models are not that damages and have all the essential bits on them), a bit harder to find cheap Razordons.

7. nomis
    Cold One

nomis Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up chaps, got 4 rippers on eBay for 25 quid! Just waiting for a couple more to pop up to get that unit up to 6.

Now, I need a bloat toad proxy! Any suggestions? Do reaper make anything?

pendrake likes this.
  8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Well, if you are not going at official tournaments, just use a 1 cent coin...

9. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Reaper makes an Ice Toad.
    And I am pretty sure there is a familiars pack.

/// be right back; goes to look ///

I have the last one. It’s a metal model. They call it an Ice Toad. It is a very scaled crunchy looking critter (just paint it green). It fits very neatly into a 25mm round base (I flipped one upside down).

2665 gives a choice of two sculpts: one leaping, one lurking.

2593 is a familiar pack for a very tiny frog option (small enough to share a base with a wizard). There is also a nice cobra in the pack to stick on a swarm base.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    LizardWizard likes this.
  10. Cerind
    Skink

Cerind Member

For cheap razordons or salamanders, I'll soon convert the khorne hounds, buying bases and the 5 models for conversion from GW will set you back the price of 2 razordons, and the conversion is not that hard (legs and scales match, a bit of knife and putty work is all they need).

I'll try and take pics to make some sort of tutorial thing.

nomis and LizardWizard like this.
  11. nomis
    Cold One

nomis Well-Known Member

That would be really helpful, thanks!
    Went to my local second hand games shop today and dig out an old metal razordon (with half a leg missing) and an old metal salamander (also got a skink priest with feathers too)

Which leads me to another question, in the shadow strike, can I include both the starpriest and the regular priest?

LizardWizard likes this.
  12. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

You could use either, but not both. There is only one Priest.

ChapterAquila92 and nomis like this.
  13. nomis
    Cold One

nomis Well-Known Member

It took me a moment but I see what you have done there!