1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A painting blog - the defence of Itza

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by OmegaRed, Jun 18, 2010.

1. OmegaRed
    Skink

OmegaRed Member

Hi all, I'm slowly but surely painting my army up for a tournament in late August (Cardiff Carnage). I know it's a long way away but I paint REALLY slowly, so I have to get going now or I'll never get it done, and 8th changes may mean I need to buy more models! So here goes, enjoy. :)

Skink Skirmishers:

Salamander and skink handlers:

These are relatively old images, and the models have now been based.

2. OmegaRed
    Skink

OmegaRed Member

Below is my first unit of saurus, which you will see have been done with what I now know to be basing sand that is large and will eventually be replaced:

I hope to have another unit of skinks and a skink priest done soon!

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

*Sigh* I remember the good old days when LM used to be green by default not blue.

These guys look really really good! I love the way the green has turned out, they look very natural. Nice work.

4. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Nice job on the painting! I've actually started doing the same paint scheme for my army lol. Although I am probably gonna go with brown shileds to represent that of a turtle/tortoise shell :p

5. hd.40
    Skink

hd.40 New Member

This has been by far my favorite paint job I've seen so far.

6. camo-skink
    Chameleon Skink

camo-skink New Member

GREEN IS THE BEST COLOR!!!

green is my favorite if you haven't noticed. :D i really like the shields as white, its different, i like it! also, cool use of the blowpipe holder as a whip; mind if i borrow that? :D anyway, great work keep it up. :smug:

camo-skink

7. OmegaRed
    Skink

OmegaRed Member

Thanks for the positive comments guys! Go ahead and use the whip, I never could figure out what it was meant to be for when I saw it on the sprue! I converted my handlers as I was given the salamander and didn't have any handlers of my own, so I knocked up a few from the battleforce. I'm glad you like it, I've got to do another one as it fell off yesterday! I guess my glue wasn't as good as I thought.

8. DavidSS
    Skink

DavidSS Member

Really nice painting :)

How did you make that green? I am soon gonna start my own Lizardmen army, and my skinks are gonna be just that green, but I haven't figured out wich paints to use :p

9. OmegaRed
    Skink

OmegaRed Member

My green is a bit of a long process, which I picked up from a thread on WarSeer:

# A base of dark angels green
    # Highlight with thinned Scorpion green, leaving only the deepest recesses uncovered.
    # Wash with thraka green
    # Highlight again
    # Washed again
    # Highlight final time with very thinned down scorpion-75%/white-25% mix, on the very highest bits like ridges.

Scales
    # Shadow with very thinned DA green 75% / black 25% (or scorched brown 25%) in crevasses of the scales as best as possible
    # Wash with thraka green
    # Highlight with DA green
    # Wash with thraka green
    # Repeat highlight add very thinned white-25% only highest raised edges
    # Repeat wash

Like I said, it takes a while, and I've got 16 to do right now, and 14 more this week. Yay.

10. DavidSS
    Skink

DavidSS Member

Yeah that sure takes long time :p Maybe I will just make a more simple green. ;) But thanks anyway

11. OmegaRed
    Skink

OmegaRed Member

Right, it's been far too long since I have posted here last. It's now exactly a month until the Cardiff Carnage tournament, and I've hardly got anything done! Needless to say I'm rather stressed about completing things. So here is what I have done since my last post:

Skink Priest

Skink skirmishers - now with water base!

Second saurus squad

I chose different colours on the Saurus because I wanted them to be identifiable from my first unit. Also I'd like to add more to the bases but time just won't permit that for now, so this will have to do.

Up next: another salamander, and MORE saurus! (sigh)

12. OmegaRed
    Skink

OmegaRed Member

Below are my most recent complete works, I just need to finish a little bit on the saurus and salamander bases and then they'll be done. My steg body is dipped and will be dull coated tomorrow - the howdah and crew remain. Then it'll be the kroxigor and skinks to do. Then I'll be done! (Thank the Old Ones)

Scar Vet:

BSB

Stay tuned!

13. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Looking good all around my man. :D

14. aries2580
    Skink

aries2580 New Member

I had to create an account to say
    1. lovely job on the 1st batch of lizard men, and thank you for posting your wash technique.
    I was using something similar but it didnt give me the same effect as yours

2. Could you PLEASE tell me how you did the shields on the 1st batch of warriors?

for mine I want the green skin, blue/purple scales http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/wip-carnosaur-w-oldblood.1862/ and that awesome sexy colour you have done for the shields. I might try this http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=&pIndex=2&aId=11300002&start=3 marbled effect for the shields/weapons... not sure yet.

Thank you again for any reply! :smug:

15. OmegaRed
    Skink

OmegaRed Member

Ahh cheers mate, hopefully I'll get to see some of your stuff soon! Your paint schemes sound pretty cool.

By the first batch of warriors I assume you meant the ones with the bone shields? Well:

1 - Undercoat black, then paint a thinned coat of Scorched Brown over all of the shield
    2 - Kommando Khaki over the shield "plates", making sure not to go into the grooves.
    3 - Wash with Ogryn Flesh
    4 - Bleached Bone over 80% of the plates, leaving the bottom bits showing the Kommando Khaki.
    5 - Bleached Bone/Skull White (50/50) on the top and right edges of the plates
    6 - Wash with Ogryn Flesh
    7 - Brassy Brass (Vallejo Paint) on to metal bits, wash with Gryphon Sepia.

Then you're done! If you want you can do a colour on the inside of the shield, I did Khaki for convenience.

16. aries2580
    Skink

aries2580 New Member

You are an absolute legend.
    I will have to make a new thread when I get some stuff done. I have a few painted and a dragon conversion... But I'm not happy with how the dragon is turning out... :chicken:
    I might scrap the idea and get a dark elf Cold One and use that instead.
    haha it's all aesthetics with this army :smug:

Again thank you for the recipe / technique
    and enough of my hijacking your thread, I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.
    Cheers!

17. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Nice work mate! I especially like the feather's on the Scar Vets head :D I've been planning on doing something similar when I get around to working on my Oldblood

18. OmegaRed
    Skink

OmegaRed Member

It's been a while I know, but it's time for another update! Quite a lot in this one, as there's stuff I've had done for a while but just been too lazy to upload. So here we go:

My second Salamander:

Kroxigor:

Stegadon:

Skink Skirmishers, now in a special skirmisher base!

(they're just bluetacked in the right distance, I don't have the time to make a special tray)

And lastly, my Skink Priest

(I'm not 100% satisfied with this guy, I rushed him but hey I'm not going to use him much other than when my EotG dies - which it does a lot)

19. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Ohhhhh more painted Minis.. :D
    They look great.

20. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Cool - Jesus skinks walk on water! :p I think the blue does look like they shouldn't be on top of it a bit.. But oh well, and the stegadon looks fantastic great work overall.