1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS A question about horde sized units

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Canas, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

What kind of armies actually utilize horde sized units? Given that you need a considerable amount of extra units to make sure your unit doesn't get decimated immeadiatly the horde sized units seem to require at least 40-50 guys to be somewhat reliable. Given that his is already quite a lot of units, how exactly would an army with them look like? If we take the sunclaw host with 3 horde units it'd already contain over a 100 units (and wounds) which seems rather large for what is essentially just a block of infantry without any support from cavalry, monsters or wizards.

Bowser likes this.
  2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Armies that really rely on numbers and have units with a low points cost, will field hordes.
    Skaven can easily play hordes, it's not rare to see Tomb Kings with a block of 30-40 skeleton warriors and another of 30 skeleton archers.

For other armies, it's easier to see a single, buffed horde: Seraphon will field one large infantry block, the other units of saurus will be reduced to the minimum, acting more as meatshield and saving points to pick dinosaurs.

Bowser likes this.
  3. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I think death and skaven are really the only one focusing on horde tactics, as the unit caps turned people to smaller more elite units. As it stands there are only 3 units that can have more than 40 in them. you could put 1200 points into saurus if you wanted for 3 large blocks of 40 warriors, but that wouldn't be worth it in my mind unless you have a 3500+ game going.

4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

right, that's less bad than I expected, though still fairly expensive, both in terms of points & just sheer models. Ah well, I'l see how it turns out then.