1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help A question about skin tones

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Tziruzitza, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Tziruzitza
    Skink

Tziruzitza Member

Hi all,

I've got a quick question about skin (scale?) tones for my lizards...

I've more-or-less worked out a colour scheme, which includes a range of three shades of the base colours for my lizards, and three shades for my beasties. Any given unit will use the same shade throughout; I'm not planning to mix shades within a pack.

My question is this... what do you all think would work better: keeping each shade for a specific type of creature (all skinks one shade, all saurus another, etc.), or using all shades on all types?

For reference, there isn't major difference between the shades.

Thanks!

2. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

I would mix it. I even mix the colors in a unit. Not that I would say I do rainbow lizards, but I like when the unit consists of individuals...

3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I would keep each unit all the same but it is down to how you want them to look, if your shades are close to each other mixing would add an individual aspect to your troops so both options will work well.

What colours are you doing them?

4. Tziruzitza
    Skink

Tziruzitza Member

@tom ndege - I did originally consider mixing shades within a unit, but then I decided to keep members of a unit as similar as possible in terms of colouring.

I am leaning towards mixing shades within a genus, though...

@Crowsfoot - muted greens for lizards, and reddish-browns for critters. Basically, I've got a range of five paints for each, and I'll use three layers on any given model (numbers 1-3, 2-4, or 3-5, effectively). All will use traditional lizardman blue-green for markings.

Looking at sample swatches, I think it will work quite nicely, but we'll see when paint meets plastic!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  5. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

That was what I meant... You wrote that you don't want to mix shades in the units... I think it would look good if you mixed shades in one genus. Like different unit = different colors

6. Tziruzitza
    Skink

Tziruzitza Member

Ah, gotcha - sorry! That's what I get for reading and posting in the queue at the checkout :D

Yep, I think you're right, after a bit of mulling it over - thanks for the input!