1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog A shy guy paint blog

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Matty, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Matty
    Skink

Matty Member

Okay fellow lizardmen fans here goes my first ever paint blog. I am just restarting a lizardmen army after selling all of my warhammer stuff a few years ago. I have been debating on a colour theme, and decided that different spawnings had different colours. That being said, my first skink group will be in the colours of my crested geck Samson that inspired me to collect lizardmen in the first place. When I bought Samson, the sales clerk got him from the back..he was nearly full grown. He was at that time deep chocolate brown with golden eyes..everyone that was over suggested I call him Chocolate Chip..or Chip. I was like not so much.
    We got him home, and let him settle into his terrarium. He hid and came out later that night to look at everyone..but to my surprise he was a bright green with yellow and white patterns on his back amd tail. I later learned that crested geckos have to ability to flare as gecko owners call it.. flaring is when they darken their colors.

That being said, Samson has gone to be with Old Ones..but in his honor he will be the inspiration for a colour scheme of browns and greens. Progress pics to follow as I paint them.

n810 likes this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Before you post pics of your minis I think it would be fitting to start with a pic of Samson ;)

3. Matty
    Skink

Matty Member

Right you are crowsfoot! My new camera has wifi ability, and luck be with me I found a memory card from before we pictures of him on it. HopingbI can email them and then post them. I am using a tablet and alas has no ports for cameras.

4. Matty
    Skink

Matty Member

Here is a photo I took of Samson. Yesterday bought a box of skinks, paints in Samson inspired colors, and glue to get started. More updates as I progress.

Attached Files:

Crowsfoot and borkbork like this.
  5. Matty
    Skink

Matty Member

Okay so there was some delay in getting started..its called dont forget to buy glue while you buy a set of skinks. Ya seems I bought glue,paint the skinks and no glue awesome! Okay so got some glue and got six built primed and started painting on my first miniature in four years. I feel rusty. So I started my first one..winging it the entire time as I had decided to do a green Samson the gecko inspired army. I still have to paint the weapon, and jewelery and do up the base. I am not sure yet on the weapon color of the spear..is it stone...all silver..brass...wood and stone? suggestions?
    I also have to do his jewelry to...and I am gonna make his holding a scroll of parchment in his other hand as I am making a diorama and not gaming with these guys.

Total invested time is about three hours into this guy...the next ones should take less..as I get my colors confirmed.

These guys also need a samson inspired name lol..

Attached Files:

n810 likes this.
  6. Matty
    Skink

Matty Member

reminder the pics of that skink are not of the finished model. I might do non metalic gold or silver for his jewelery...and his nails almost forgot them

7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Looking good so far ;)

Matty likes this.
  8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Those stripes really make the model. :D

Matty likes this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Agreed... those stripes are fantastic!

Matty likes this.
  10. Matty
    Skink

Matty Member

thanks guys..the positive feedback is inspiring. The stripes under his eyes are inspired from a picture I found of a painted blue skink online. I think the lines under their eyes gives them a tribal..or Aztec look. I did stripes on his back and down his tail to balance the brown scales on his back. The stripes on his top crest were added for fun and to balance the look of his tail stripes. I also figured that green and browns could look dull...so I thought stripes would add some visual interest.

n810 likes this.
  11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

"I still have to paint the weapon, and jewelery and do up the base. I am not sure yet on the weapon color of the spear..is it stone...all silver..brass...wood and stone? suggestions?"

I find that a copper or bronze compliments green Lizardmen quite well.
    I also uses a silver/chrome color for the small details (rivets, details on bracelets, etc...)
    you could check out the "gallery of the old ones" for more inspiration.
    http://www.lustria-online.com/forums/itza-gallery-of-fine-arts.41/