1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Advice on army

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Nuradin, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Nuradin
    Skink

Nuradin New Member

Hey, I'm new to Age of Sigmar and the Seraphon army

I have a Start Collecting box with Seraphon and was planning on purchasing more.

Usually at my local game store they run a drop in match setup where you can bring 5 warscrolls with a max of 2 with keywords monster or character.

I've been scanning the forums here and really like the defensive style with running TGs, Bastiladon and all that :D Pretty much what Bainbow is running..

But with the restrictions that my local game store is putting on the game I need to make some changes. So, I am asking here for advice on how to change it, what to focus on and if it's possible to run such a defensive playstyle with those restrictions. Cause I got the feeling that TGs and the defensive style really only started to shine once you used the buffs. But my plan was to run 3 units of TGs and 1 Eternity Warden for the Formation. But with only 5 warscrolls that would only leave me with one more and that doesn't really feel like the right way to go.

So any advice you could give me would be much appreciated!

2. Tlac'Natai the Observer
    Cold One

Tlac'Natai the Observer Active Member

Either a Skink Priest or Starpriest will do well for you. If you use a priest with trappings, you can reroll saves for all your tanky guard. Or a Starpriest can cast Mystic Shield for +1 to save. Otherwise Kroak is your best bet for a more competitive feel. Bastiladons are great defensively, and would lend you some heavy ranged capabilities, which Kroak does better, but it really is up to you. All of these are good choices.

3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Wait...
    Are you talking about warscrolls or units?
    Cause 3 TG units and a warden are only 2 warscrolls...

dwarfepic likes this.
  4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Let's try to increase my answer

OK, even if we take for good that "5 warscrolls" mean "5 units", you can still work around it. At least, 'til your local store will put new limitations (and it will do it, trust me).

You're right that defense works better with buffs, and even if the eternal starhost already starts with a good amount of them, you'll need more.

So, field the formation and Lord Kroak (which is the best general for this starhost).
    First turn: cast a comet, then summon an Astrolith bearer, a Starseer and a Bastiladon. In the second turn, you'll summon also a priest.
    You will literaly eats the limitations upon the heroes, you'll have all the buffs you need, and also one of the strongest monster in AoS.

5. Rekmeister
    Skink

Rekmeister Member

One big unit of Guard, Astrolith, Warden, and 2 more warscolls will be more than enough.

6. Nuradin
    Skink

Nuradin New Member

The store says "warscrolls".. I didn't really know that there was a difference between warscrolls and units. I thought that if you had 2 units of TGs that would be 2 warscrolls.
    Since this is only a drop in battle kind of deal there isn't really that many restrictions. At tournaments and more official games I think they are using a system they refer to as "Pool Choice" where each model is worth a set number of pool.

I dont really understand this summoning ordeal. When reading the warscrolls it reads as if you need that warscroll for the wizard to learn the summoning spell for that particular unit. So you would need to spend warscrolls to be able to summon. But the way you lay it forward, Killer Angel, that seems like it's not the case :D So any explanation on this would be greatly appreciated!

I have ordered a Warden and a Kroak now, just to get the formation and a good ranged unit. But if I am fielding 3*10 TGs, a warden and a kroak that would mean I still have 2 warscrolls left to tinker with. So perhaps that Bastiladon that I really like the look of will be next on my list of purchase :D
    And I have my eyes on the Astrolith Bearer, which I assume is the same as a BSB?

7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Kroak can use his spell allowance to summon in units, what has the store said about summoning?

Bastiladon is our best monster the solar beam is a monster
    Astrolith is same as a BSB.

The way you describe what the store has in mind I think that it might be a warscroll is a unit of 5 guard otherwise you could have 200 guard counting as one warscroll.

8. Nuradin
    Skink

Nuradin New Member

I guess I need to go there and ask them!
    The store hasn't said anything about summoning, mostly because we haven't really talked about it.
    But I am going there for a game in a few weeks (haven't completed my army yet), and I will be sure to ask them then!
    Their drop in battle allows for you to borrow models, so in any case I should be fine for those occassions with Warden and Kroak.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  9. Killer Angel
    Slann

yes and no.
    Usually, to summon a unit, you need to have its warscroll. A Slann can summon a unit of knights, but only if you have their warscroll.
    Obviously, if you're already playing with knights, you can summon other units of them.
    What if you don't have them? It depends from the rules you're using.
    The vanilla AoS rules, tell simply that you bring to the table all the models / warscrolls you want to use.
    Some comp systems give limits on the number of units AND on the total number of warscrolls, so you can field 5 warscrolls but your army will have 8 available warscrolls for summons.
    If the "tournament rules" of your local game store, give a limit of 5 warscrolls, and a limit of 5 units, this should mean that you can field 5 totally different units, of 5 units of 2 types, and summon the other ones.
    You should really ask.

Anyway, the only thing you can be sure of, is that you can summon the units you already have on the battlefield.

Plus, there are units that can bypass such problem: see Engine of the Gods