1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6th Ed. Advice Please

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Gary_M, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Gary_M
    Razordon

Gary_M Well-Known Member

Some of my local gaming group appear to have reverted to 6th, which passed me by.

I've sourced the rule book, and saw a link in another thread to a pdf of the army books (thank you to whoever did that!), not sure what other armies there are in my group, but wondered what the differences are to 8th edition, and what our good units are?

I can field most things, although only solo dinos (I could proxy a basti for a second steg I guess).

What Slann builds are decent?

etc etc

Thanks.

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I believe that was me... :smug:

[​IMG]

I never played 6th myself (started in 7th Edition), but I can think of a few similarities off the top of my head:
    • No horde bonuses - the bonus given to a unit being a horde (that is, with ten models per rank) was introduced specifically in 8th. Before that large units of 30 or more troops were generally seen as cumbersome and too expensive in points to justify their use in an army, so it would be generally better to field smaller units of around 25 or less in order to get maximum melee effectiveness.
    • No supporting attacks - again supporting attacks were only a thing in 8th I believe, so only models in the front rank are able to attack except for units with spears who can attack with 2 ranks. However, I think models with spears in the second rank are able to make all their attacks in 6th and 7th, whereas in 8th supporting models could always only make 1 attack regardless of the attacks on their profile.
    • Magic is a lot less dangerous - Magic became potentially game breaking only in 8th Edition. Prior to this, spells had lower casting rolls, but were considerably less scary than in 8th.
    • Cannons were less powerful I believe.
    • Lizardmen had ‘Sacred Spawnings’ which gave them additional buffs for extra points.
    • Far fewer special characters - in 6th Edition each army only had 2 or 3 named characters - I believe Lizardmen had Kroq-Gar, Kroak and possibly Tiq-Taq-To as the only playable named characters.
    Hope that helps to get you started, anyway.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Only Kroak and Kroq-Gar.

That was also the edition where Kroak cost 1225 points; making him the most expensive character in the game!

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Ah but was he the most overpriced?

At the moment that award goes to Louen Leoncoeur for being around 800 points or something stupid yet riding a Hippogryph with only 4 wounds

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That I do not know because I am not that familiar with many 6th edition rules for characters. He was extremely powerful, with some really epic rules, but in the end he probably couldn't justify such a large price tag.

He also had a rule where if he died, the Lizardmen player could never win the game (even if the LM player had more victory points, the game would end as a draw).

6. Gary_M
    Razordon

Gary_M Well-Known Member

Thanks chaps.
    Was looking at the Lizardman army book over the weekend.
    Had a quick glance at the rule book too and I see what you mean about weaker magic, although that's not necessarily a bad thing?
    I need to read up on the combat rules to double check the rank / spear bonuses.
    I like the idea of Slann spawnigns. If I go down the slann route. 4th spawning looks very useful with no miscast roll (or have I not read read that correctly?)
    Hope to get the cold bloods out soon to teach the young warm bloods a lesson or two!