1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog AiurJordan's Paint & Log

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by AiurJordan, Mar 28, 2020.

1. AiurJordan
    Skink

AiurJordan Member

Diving into AoS as a new Seraphon player having no experience with the system with the exception of 40K Tyranids for a few years.

I was instantly bitten, after picking up a Seraphon SC box on a whim from my FLGS who had a 10% sale due to the quarantine, within a few days I had ordered another 200$ of hobby from an online retailer now having a Skinks and Seraphon box and a bunch of new hobby toys!

I build my Seraphon box in a few days, taking care to use the lessons I had learned from my tyranids, taking care from the hours of tutorials I've watched to try to do my best for basing, and painting techniques.

I built myself something I've always wanted, some magnetized cases using some 26 ga steel and 21 L boxes from the "very useful box" company, about 60$ from Hobby Lobby for two of these.

[​IMG]

Seraphon Knight

[​IMG]
    Still not completely satisfied with this, I have some trouble getting the details to look good, I feel like I'm not understanding the concept of shading and highlighting, you can see some of the globs of Elysian Green on this Cold One's arms where I attempted to highlight but it just looks.. bad to me. I'm considering repainting the skin in Rakarth flesh again and reshading with Biel-Tan Green and trying hard to not let the shade pool up where it shouldn't be, I think that is what is going wrong here.

[​IMG]
    A little bit of batch painting and basing for the rest of the knights, and a sneak peek at my Carnosaur.

2. AiurJordan
    Skink

AiurJordan Member

Cuetzpal Pilli, Imrahil and Aginor like this.
  3. AiurJordan
    Skink

AiurJordan Member

I've tried to edit my post above but it wont let me!

Here's today's progress post stream, thank you to those of you who came and hung out!

The Knights are coming along, I'm really pleased at my decision to paint them in sub-assemblies. They're all basecoated and shaded now for the mounts, beginning the Thousand Sons Blue on the actual riders themselves now. I'm surprised at how well they're turning out.
    [​IMG]

4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

You cannot edit your posts until you reach a certain number, it is an anti-spam measure.
    Also, a moderator has to approve your posts, so don't be concerned if they take a while to show up.

Nice progress on those Knights! :)

AiurJordan likes this.
  5. AiurJordan
    Skink

AiurJordan Member

Work has continued!

Balancing hobby time with trying to graduate nursing school amid this pandemic, just a few more days in the hospital and I'll be all done.

I broke into my SC Skinks box and put together the terradons and part of the bastillodon. Those terradons are surprisingly difficult to assemble! I also got the bases textured and they're ready for priming. I'm considering painting the bastillodon in sub-assemblies because it looks like you'll be able to see under the sun dial once it's attached.

[​IMG]

Also worked on the knights a bit, they take forever to paint! Got both shades of blue on, and they're shaded now with a wash. Went ahead and picked out the leather and red details as well as coating the shafts of the spears in flat black, i think it looks nice. Nearly done with these!
    [​IMG]

Finally I have gotten to magnetising the rest of the SC Seraphon box and after a little fiddling and filing they're all sticking to the steel sheet nicely!
    [​IMG]

I think those saurus warriors are going to fly by once I finish these knights, so much less surface area.

6. Aginor
    Slann

Something seems to be wrong with your pictures (or probably something on my side is blocking them?)
    Either way, I sadly cannot see them.

Explodingzeb likes this.
  7. AiurJordan
    Skink

AiurJordan Member

@Aginor I've tried a different webhost, since I can't edit my posts I'll put them here hopefully you guys can see this!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Aginor
    Slann

Yep, that worked.
    Good progress!

9. AiurJordan
    Skink

AiurJordan Member

Some more progress today. Pictures below!

My Knights are now finally mounted and assembled, what color should I paint the spear tips?

Carnosaur is close to complete, I took a wild stab and just went with black on red, it turned out surprisingly good!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. AiurJordan
    Skink

AiurJordan Member

Been pretty busy lately but I just ordered a few reaper minis to try to convert.

[​IMG]
    This little guy i'm thinking would make a pretty cool Slaan conversion and only 5 bucks!

[​IMG]
    I was also inspired by the numerous Couatl "Slaan" i have seen here so I will see if it's possible for me to mount the little frog ontop of this Coutal model. Both are metal so the conversion might be kind of tricky, but lets play!

Aginor, Imrahil and Cuetzpal Pilli like this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

Classic color. It just looks cool and aggressive. :)

AiurJordan likes this.
  12. AiurJordan
    Skink

AiurJordan Member

More progress on the carnosaur w/ oldblood. Nearly finished, I'm starting to not know what else to do, this has approached the limit of my humble and low skill.

[​IMG]
    I missed a spot where i base coated in yellow for the gold, please ignore. :)
    Just a little more touch-up.
    [​IMG]
    I have a hard time getting teeth to look right, what techniques do you guys suggest?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still needs some clean-up, I'm not sure what to do with the underbelly skin!

Cuetzpal Pilli and Imrahil like this.
  13. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

This depends on the color you want.
    I use Rakarth Flesh > Seraphim Sephia > Ushabti Bone or Screaming Skull

Grrr, Imrahil

14. AiurJordan
    Skink

AiurJordan Member

Well, I only have Rakarth Flesh so I guess I need some more paint!

What do you think about the underbelly of the Carnosaur? What color would you use? Right now It's just the grey-white primer.

Also, I finally found a newer sculpt Slaan for 40$ on ebay NEW! I was so pumped I bought it immediately, been looking for over a week for a well priced one.

Imrahil likes this.
  15. Aginor
    Slann

Imrahil and AiurJordan like this.
  16. AiurJordan
    Skink

AiurJordan Member

Today's progress.
    [​IMG]