1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Alternatives to constricted summoning

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Gorgerak, Feb 10, 2016.

1. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

Not until your slann does his "exit stage right" trick as all of the celestial thoughts are in his brain.

Now seriously.. I can come in with resurrection of models within an existing unit that that should be treated as a seperate thing. But summoning should just work no matter how. If you then want to "restrict" stuff then just do it with a seperate wound pool for summoning, but gone/dead units should be able to come back. In my opinion.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I agree summoning back for example a unit of dead saurus is the slann thinking them back into existence .

3. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

Fluff wise you can restrict maybe Stormcast Eternals (if they get any form of summoning due to battleplan abilities) as the reforging would take too long. And any "life" armies also of course.. those are just dead and gone..

4. Gorgerak
    Cold One

Gorgerak Active Member

I'm hearing a fair amount of support for the idea of restricting the amount you can summon but not restricting what you can summon.

Based on that - how much do you guys tend to summon during a game? several times a turn? Once or twice a game? Run 2 or 3 Slanns in a battle and just hope you have enough models and room on the table to keep going?

Bainbow likes this.
  5. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

Not playing it myself, but my opponent last battle (Seraphon player) didn't summon once.. Might have something to do with the fact that I slaughtered his Slann in the bottom of the first turn.. and he didn't use summoning in his first turn (top).

6. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

Ever notice that we have the campest deaths?

I rarely summon more than one thing per turn, if I ever summon at all. I tend to focus my spellcasting on support and damage instead.

spawning of Bob likes this.
  7. Gorgerak
    Cold One

Gorgerak Active Member

Having very restricted summoning capabilities, this is what I have been focusing my Slann on as well. I'm trying to imagine how I would have played differently in the games had I had full (or at least significantly greater) access to summoning.

8. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

With me it's because I play a very defensive army so all my troops are irreplaceable.

9. Gorgerak
    Cold One

Gorgerak Active Member

Ditto on that - cannot tear myself away from the eternal starhost - not after playing against Grimgor Ironhide's Black Orc formation and watching 2 units of 10x templeguard, backed up by eternity warden, skink priest and slann defeated 30x Black Orcs, Grimgor, Black Orc Big Boss and a Giant in combat for the loss of 3 saurus!!!

10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Then why do monsters an other single models have summons ?
    I mean they can't form units or anything ?

11. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Because they're meant to be summoned. Everything in our army aside from the Slann is meant to be summoned.

12. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

clearly, I am referring to no summoning new units debate.

13. Gorgerak
    Cold One

Gorgerak Active Member

I'm leaning towards the train of thought that summoning should only be restricted in size (number of wounds/certain amount of points etc) - and not restricted in scope (Only summoning x number of warscrolls/not summoning certain keywords etc)

Of course everyone is free to implement their own rules - as is the way with toy soldiers - and obviously you wont find one that everyone agrees with!

14. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

I'm personally leaning towards limiting the number of wounds/points that can be summoned, but an exception would need to be made for Vampires because they live off of summoning really weak hordes en masse, they always have.

15. Gorgerak
    Cold One

Gorgerak Active Member

yeah +1 on that

16. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Actually y'know what, how about a limit on the amount of non-basic troops you can summon? Things like zombies and skeletons, Saurus Warriors, or Lesser Daemons can be summoned as much as you want because they all die very quickly and competitive play with them requires really abusing summoning in order to compensate, but everything else such as Heroes, Monsters, and elite troops like cavalry (basically anything you can't summon 10-20 of with one spell) is limited.

17. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

well the casting cost on those units is already rather prohibitive...

18. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Yeah but it's really really easy to get a stack of casting modifiers to achieve those high summons.

19. Gorgerak
    Cold One

Gorgerak Active Member

Well I know of the slann's +1 to cast and the BSB's +1 to cast but not aware of any others. Care to share?

20. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Curse of Fates can be used to give a +1 Modifier to any roll once per phase. Already now you have a 50% chance of summoning our big monsters, which becomes even more likely when you factor in the rerolls that the Starseer gives you in addition to the Curse.