1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

and so my crazy plan begins.

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by shahryar, Apr 4, 2011.

1. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

I'll post pics as they come up of my crazy water base plan

Test fit

These bases are the small 20 mm bases and will be used for my chameleon skinks to make it look like they are slogging their way through a river. although the stalker and oxyotl might be walking on a rock jutting out of the water.

one question do you think I should glue the skink to the plasticard before or after I lay down my flock and basing grit?

oh and what do you reccomend for making them look wet, would just citadel varnish do or is there another brand that you reccomend that wont mess with paint lol.
    I'll post my next pics soon I hope, and maybe even the after math pics of my fingers from using a brand new xacto blade to do this...owwie

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

You can used some gloss medium mixed in with your paint or use some sort of gloss coat.

3. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

Personally, I'd glue the guy down then grit around him. Otherwise, I think it'd be hard to glue him to the grit itself or do something to remove the grit where his feet go...

--DF2K

4. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

You should really test run a smaller amount of everything. Putting basing materials down first and then putting the water in might change the characteristics of one or all the items. Going to a hobby store and using the water they sell for trains would work great. I'm interested to hear how it fares; good luck!

5. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

yea I went nuts when I got to that hobby store
    got realistic water from woodland scenics plus the water effects to make ripples some medium gren high grash and some medium green bushes XD
    plus I got 10 of those bases from my game store and currently only seven chameleons well 8 counting oxyotl.

6. strategiccommand
    Saurus

strategiccommand New Member

I usually use a small cube of plastic card to raise the mini then base the area and it looks seamless.

7. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

first test run...pouring this into a 20 mm base is a pain...time to find a squeeze bottle

some of the glue is still visible the bigger rocks left a place for an air bubble to form and push up the base

but if I just might be able to pull this off lol
    still adding layers to it, not sure if I should add color to the mix next time.

though I do have one crazy plan I want to try, imo without the shield the skink chief with the sickle and heart looks more like a priest so thinking of having him be my priest standing on a rock in water and having the blood run into the water, thinking best way to do that is pour in water then while it's wet run some baal red was through it.

8. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

next one this one I might actually use trying a new technique

I used some white medical tape that I will pill up so the walls stay clean the black part is where the skink chief with the sickle will go and he will be my priest.

trying not to bump continually so first test is finished