1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Anna's painting

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Anna, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Anton_S
    Temple Guard

Anton_S Member

I don't know about tufts being expensive, sure the pack costs a good few £/€/$ but it lasts quite a while. I have a Silflor pack bought from Antenociti that I based one FoW army and 5000 points of Ogres with and there's still plenty left. GW tufts are less expensive per pack but have less tufts in them, though they also have better packaging. Still, I think they are more suited to steppe/plains type armies so I would prefer clump foliage or leaves.

Agree on the sand though. That's a good start for any base. I always prefer to put it on before the undercoat to get a nice black to start from. Obviously sand takes drybrushing very well.

2. Anna
    Skink

Anna New Member

Thanks for the advice! I'll try some different things and will let you know how it turns out.

One question though: what kind of glue should I use? I guess plastic glue doesn't work on sand?

3. Anton_S
    Temple Guard

Anton_S Member

PVA (white glue) is good for sand and indeed almost all scatter materials you might put on bases.

I generally do PVA+sand before painting and PVA+static grass or tufts after painting.

4. Anna
    Skink

Anna New Member

No update on bases yet (though I do have a lot of ideas for them), but look what I bought yesterday:

IMAG0839.jpg
    Couldn't resist trying my planned colour scheme on him :) This is the reason for the colours of the TG's shields. I don't know when I'll have the time to really paint him, life's (still) pretty busy at the moment.

5. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Slow and steady wins the race! Keep up the good work!

6. Anna
    Skink

Anna New Member

It's a frog!

Yeah that temple guard still only has one arm, poor thing...

7. Anna
    Skink

Anna New Member

Sneak peek of what I've been up to:

Click for larger version

Better pictures when something's finished!

I like this colour scheme much better than the one I had on my skinks and sauri. Of course different types of units can/should have different colours but I think I want to go back and fix the colours on those first models. Probably a bit more contrast, different scale colour... Not sure what to do yet. Ah well, better finish these guys first.

8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yea your slan does look a lot like those guys from the Dark Crystal...
    I would be awesome if you added some swirly tatoos tho.
    It would be fairly easy with a fine felt tip blue pen.