1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Another Lizards v High Elves game from a new member

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by sombrastewart, Apr 10, 2015.

1. sombrastewart
    Skink

sombrastewart New Member

Well, I haven't done one of these before, so I thought I'd post this up.

I'll apologize, I haven't taken pictures or drawn pretty graphics, but I did try to be specific in my descriptions. This is a game with the friend of mine that got me into WHF, and he's a High Elves/Dwarves player. I opted for our dear Lizards very soon after, and this is just the latest of our bouts.

Lizardmen vs High Elves, BRB 8th rules
    Lizardmen
    4x units of 10 skink skirmishers
    1x unit of 20 Saurus warriors w/full command
    1x unit of 5 Chameleon skinks with stalker
    1x unit of 11 Temple Guard w/full command
    1x Salamander hunting pack w/3 handlers
    1x Skink priest, mounted on Ripperdactyl; light armor, shield, javelin, Stegadon helm, Biting Blade
    1x Slann Mage Priest, Loremaster High Magic, Lichbone Pennant, channeling staff, obsidian lodestone, Becalming Cogitation, Harmonic Convergence

High Elves1x unit of 8 Silverhelms1x Prince on steed with barding, heavy armor, ogre blade and Shield of the Merwyrm
    1x unit of 20 Sea Guard
    1x Archmage with Book of Hoeth
    1x BSB
    2x Eagle Claw bolt throwers
    1x unit of 10 Swordmasters
    1x White Lion Chariot

The start of the game had the Elves going first. The archmage and BSB were bunkered into the Sea Guard, while the Prince joined in with the Silverhelms. The bolt throwers were set in the corners of the board, with the Sea Guard in the board center, the Silverhelms on his left flank, the chariot between and the sword masters on his right flank.

My setup had the Slann bunkered into the temple guard (obviously) on left center, my saurus on right center. Each main infantry block had skirmishers set just in front of them, angled slightly to move away from the block in the event of a charge. The skink chief on the ripper was on my right flank, and my chameleon skinks were set in a forest on my far left flank.

The elves made their first move by advancing slowly, trying to feel out where I was heading. The bolt throwers fired, one on a group of skirmishers and the other at the nearby chameleon skinks threatening. The chameleons lost two to the hail of bolt fire, the skirmishers lost some to the same. Sea Guard volley fire took one skink off one of the units screening for the Temple Guard. The same group of skirmishers that took bolt fire had taken a Soul Quench from the Archmage, but they didn't break. They were screening for my saurus block, nearest to the chariot, so I suspected what might happen there.On my first turn, I advanced. Skinks moved up, still screening for infantry blocks, but I adjusted the angles a bit more so that their fleeing would be further away from the infantry blocks, but they still had some good forward arcs of fire. I couldn't quite close my Ripper to the bolt thrower on his side of the board, so I just marched him as close as I could. When magic phase hit, I dropped boxcars, then channeled for two additional dice. I managed to bait out some dispell dice with an early Soul Quench, then hit my actual plan. I dropped an Arcane Unforging on the Archmage, who it turns out, only had the Book of Hoeth as a magical item, so I promptly blew it up. With my remaining dice, I managed to cast a Fiery Convocation on the Sea Guard block, taking off two ranks of five off the top. I finished by putting a Hand of Glory on one of the skirmishers by the Temple Guard block and boosted their ballistic skill. On the shooting phase, javelins flew. They managed one wound on the Silverhelms and a couple on the Sea Guard block. The rest of my shooting phase came up with no additional wounds.
    [​IMG]

On turn two, my opponent rolled low Winds of Magic, no channels on either side, and threw most of his dice at trying to dispell the Fiery Convocation, and got nothing, so more Sea Guard burned away. The remaining dice went into a Soul Quench at the Salamander pack that killed two out of three handlers, which my dispell rolls fell flat on. Then, the charges began. The silverhelms went in the direction of my Saurus block, but with one of my skink skirmishers in the way, the charge was at them. They opted to flee to try and draw them laterally, but the Silverhelms with the Prince had a high enough leadership to redirect to the Saurus, who stood and took the charge. The lion chariot was blocked by the other unit of skinks blocking for the Saurus, and didn't make the redirect roll, so they pursued there. Now, they did manage to draw the chariot away from the Saurus, but I rolled low on their movement, so they did get overrun. Ah well, just 70 points. One bolt thrower fired at the chameleons but missed all the attacks, the other shot the ripper out of the sky. The sword masters turned from the chameleons and moved towards the rest of the battle.

When close combat hit, the Saurus took four wounds from the prince, but none from the rest of the unit. The Saurus' return attacks took three Silverhelms out, and so the Saurus were steadfast from having a rank up on the Silverhelms and stood their ground.
    On my turn, the Winds of Magic were again blowing strong, so I threw around an upgraded Hand of Glory, then an upgraded Soul Quench at the sword masters. The Soul Quench killed nine of the ten sword masters (the last one passed his leadership test and stayed put, but in the range of two units of skirmishers). The still in play Fiery Convocation chewed through the remaining Sea Guard, leaving the Archmage, BSB and the command units. The Slann used the remaining dice to throw a Tempest at the unit, but only took out the musician. When the shooting started, one of those units of skirmishers finished him off. The other unit of skirmishers fired at what remained of the Sea Guard block, killing the Archmage and remaining Sea Guard, leaving only the BSB. The Salamander went to fire at the Sea Guard block, but misfired, at the last handler, then rolled to defend the bodies of his fallen handlers and only attack at nearby enemy units. Weird, but whatever. The skinks that tried to redirect the Silverhelms reformed, and moved into position to flank.

For close combat, the Prince again went full ham, killing three Saurus. The rest of the Silverhelms were fighting without the benefit of the charge, though, and the Saurus wiped out everyone but the Prince.

It was here that my opponent opted to concede. He had two bolt throwers left, a single BSB, a prince on horseback and his lion chariot against a unit of 12 Saurus, the untouched Temple Guard, three chameleon skinks, two largely untouched skirmisher blocks and one skirmisher unit with 7 figures left.

This game was determind by the magic phases and close combat. We both determind that Saurus vs High Elves is a strange matchup, where many tactics like redirecting weren't highly reliable against high leadership, and strong magic units going toe to toe. It was a good game, but after the first magic phase I had, things began to snowball away from my opponent.

Trociu and n810 like this.