1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone tried aquarium sand for basing?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by The Red Devil, Jun 28, 2015.

1. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

As we were walking in the mall today, the little one found a pet store and wanted to watch the fishes.

Took the opportunity and collected some small plastic plants I can use for basing, but at the same time I noticed that they were selling bags with fine sized stones (around the same size as normal stone basing) in 5kg bags for basically nothing.

While it is true that one of those bags basically will give you enough basing material for a few lifetimes, it looked very interesting. Decided against getting one now as we are on vacation, and have limited space in the luggage when going home.

Though considering finding a pet store at home and getting a bag, was just curious if anyone else had tried it, and if it worked well to base coat/paint it? (as they were in all kinds of colors).

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yea, it should work, but free sand works just as well (you just have to sift it).
    All my models are based with sand and PVA (white glue).

3. matthius
    Skink

matthius New Member

Yes mate, I use the pure white sand as insta snow for my bases, works a treat!!!! just add a bit of watered down PVA and you get a nice ice affect too. It looks immense and its incredibly cheap £7 for 2kg's, that's about enough for 40000000 bases.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That's what I have. I went down to the beach and collected sand and rocks.

5. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

I use beach sand too. I'd suspect aquarium sand would work just as well.

For painting I use a watered down black for the basecoat. The sand really sucks it out of the brush, so it might take a couple coats. If you don't water the paint down it doesn't really cover the sand very well. Once that dries you can paint it as normal.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

The power of free!

Qupakoco likes this.
  7. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I have some free sand, some model RR ballast in several colors and sizes, some colored sand from the sand painting hobby ... the options are numerous.

I also have three rock formations and some ruined temple things from the aquarium section for terrain.

8. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

Thanks for the information.

I guess as soon as I finish up the basing materials I have at home, Ill try to get some aquarium sand/pebbles next.

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

The small rocks (forming the semi circle) on the base of this terrain piece I made are aquarium rocks...
    100_2191.JPG

n810 likes this.