1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archeans Army

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Archean, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Archean
    Jungle Swarm

Archean New Member

Hi Guys,

Long time fan of the site, thought i'd post some pic's up of my Armies conversions, mainly my Cold one knights and my Slann:

Cold one conversions inspired by Elmquasmash's advice on neck extensions on DE cold ones
    IMAG1189.jpg
    IMAG1193.jpg
    IMAG1200.jpg

My Slann, inspired by fire bellied toads and a sturdy lore of life themed base
    IMAG1179.jpg
    IMAG1182.jpg
    IMAG1187.jpg
    IMAG0776.jpg
    The base is rock solid, the model never falls over as it has a wire frame
    IMAG0769.jpg
    IMAG0731.jpg

Hope you like them,

Archean

2. rhysap
    Saurus

rhysap New Member

amazing army :D especially the DE coldones

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Great looking army! Nice work, and welcome to LO!

4. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Those cold ones are brilliant! Good, simple colour scheme on the cold ones themselves; looks very natural. How much did you extend the necks by? Loving the bases, too.

I'm going to have to try to do something similar with my slann, only somehow fit it to a lore of light theme. I'm too darn sick of it falling off the magnetized flying rod. Yours fits the model very well. I like how you've blended the larger, custom vine at the back with the one that is part of the model. Looks good!

5. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

very nice looking stuff! especially the bases are above what you ordinarily see :)

6. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Nice conversions :) Wow, you really must be a long time fan of the site if you got the idea for the necks on the CO's from me! :jawdrop: My thread on that is back on like page 25 or something!

You have some very nice painting skills! My favorite Slann's are green ones :) And the occasional albino one!

7. Archean
    Jungle Swarm

Archean New Member

Thanks for all the great comments guys, i'm really glad you like them!

About the Slann: At first I painted the vines a dark green but it really didn't contrast well with the Slann himself or the Gold and left a very small palette for me to work the leaves.
    After changing to brown I found it blended in a bit better, I may still yet touch up the Gold to ensure there is a clear difference between the Gold base and the Brown vines.

@Old Mossy, yeh good spot with the vine on the back there, in fact all the vines fed really well into the existing base detail so I was very pleased with the end result.

Final point on the slann, and I cannot emphasise this enough, but he is an absoulte rock of a sturdy model! I hated the flying base and balancing that much weight on it just doesn't work for me so thats why I pushed ahead with a custom base for this fact alone

@Elmquasmash, credit where credit's due! I wouldn't have done these conversions without your thread advice about the neck, fact. Anyone who fancies a pop at doing a DE cold one conversion should read the Cold one thread before proceding, in order to get the neck and head to match up you do need about a 1/2 cm extension and plenty of green stuffing and painfully sculpting scales. ;)

8. liath
    Saurus

liath New Member

Stunning!

9. Zach
    Skink

Zach New Member

how did you do the sarus skin. did you wash em?

10. Archean
    Jungle Swarm

Archean New Member

@ Zach, For the Saurus skin I did the following: Regal Blue base, 50/50 Regal Blue and Hawk Turquoise highlight, Asurmen Blue wash, 50/50 Regal Blue and Hawk Turquoise highlight again, then a final Hawk Turquoise on some raised areas. Scales are regal blue with a Hawk Turquoise drybrush on the edges only.

Hope that helps! :)

11. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Man those cold ones look good. I really wish I had an ounce of artistic ability so I could convert mine as well.

12. Archean
    Jungle Swarm

Archean New Member

Going to refresh the plog with some updates soon

13. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

Well I shall hang out on a branch and wait for updates, your stuff is good and worth a wait!

14. Archean
    Jungle Swarm

Archean New Member

Going to get stuff up straight away then:

First off the Carnosaur. Felt the base really needed something to fill the gap so decided to make a decimated stegadon to fill the gap
    photo31.jpg
    photo5.jpg

Now i've photo'd it, think the red needs a bit more clear highlighting and the blue too

15. Kugelfang
    Saurus

Kugelfang Member

Looks great. Love those Cold Ones. Very realistic