1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arli's Painting Log

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Arli, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I decided to start a painting log for my army(ies). What I am doing first is listing what needs to be painted/repaired. Once I get that done, I will begin the repairs. I am going to start with Lizardmen as it was my first army. I will follow that up with Ogres, Vampire Counts, and Orc & Goblins (in that order). I have not decided yet fully on the timeframe. I may do a unit from each army in order to keep from getting burned out.

Anyway, here is the start:

Lizardmen (to be painted/repaired)

77 Skinks Primed white-ish (some have red under the white). My skinks are all white. heroes and Lords are red.

20 chameleons (19 plus Oxytyl, 7 primed white, 13 washed green)

18 Saurus (primed white) These will be red.

4 Temple guard (converted from saurus, primed white) these will be Purple.

2 razordons with 6 handlers painted in a way that I can proxy them as either razordons or salamanders.

6 Cold One Cavalry (Primed white)

3 Cold Ones (No rider)

4 Terradons (2 for repair and 2 primed white for painting)

1 Kroxigor (6th edition need head of axe repaired)

2 Stegadons Paint/repair

Kroak (needs repaint and some repair/paint on paliquin)

9 skink heroes (2 with cloak of feathers, cheif with warspear, EOTG priest, 2 staff priests, one old shaman, one old Tehehuin)

1 new Tehehuin (partially painted)

1 Saurus old blood

Models that I need to purchase:

Scar-vet BSB
    Scar-vet on Cold One
    Chakax
    Lizardmen Saurus Oldblood with Hand Weapon & Shield 1

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Going through some of my paints, I have found that I need to replace almost all of my GW washes. Anyway, 1st up will be the skinks! Here is a top view and a side view as they are now:
    topview.jpg
    and
    sideview.jpg

3. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

I'll be interested to see how long it takes you. I'm just finishing up doing 50 skinks, and I'm curious to see just how slow of a painter I am.

4. Maazie
    Cold One

Maazie Member

I'm in the process of painting about 36 Skinks for my Skrox Unit. SOOOO Many skinks, but they will be fun once done.

5. Arli
    Skink Priest

I have already painted about 90 skinks. I did most of those in a sort of assembly line. Go down the line and do each color on all of them. I do not remember how long it took. I know that I based those in about 3 hours or so though.

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

77 washed skinks! This took about 2 hours and almost a full pot of devlin mud wash. Next up, dry brushing some white onto the scales on their backs and fins.

Top view washed:
    TopWash.jpg

Side view washed:
    SideWash.jpg

Front view washed:
    frontWash.jpg

7. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

looking cool so far :)

8. Arli
    Skink Priest

Here is a small update. I have applied a white heavy dry brushing to the skinks. I also have applied foundation yellow to the shields, hand weapons, and anything that will be gold. Here is a pic of two fo them. They are still in need of touch up work, so bear with me.

SkinkWithYellow2.jpg

I also realize that I need another light source. I took three pictures of these two skinks. 2 of them were tinted with yellow light and the last is the one above.

Next up, painting all the wooden surfaces (javelins, blowpipes, dart, etc.).

9. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Damn, thats a lot of skinks! Good luck! I will keeping an eye on this thread.

10. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

I've got 50 skinks at home that need to get beyond mere base coat. Hoping this will inspire me too. Keep up the good work, you machine you!

11. Arli
    Skink Priest

It took about 90 minutes to do just the base yellow last night. Then, the first two models that I picked out to take pictures of had missing details! DOH! By then, my wet pallet was empty and I was needing a break. So, I will hit those up tonight.

My overall plan is to do something to the lot of them each day. I am hopping to get a rhythm going and power through. I do not feel like working on them every night, but I am going to try.