1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age Army List for Saurian Ancients, not quite sure, enough magic? What about protection?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by ASSASSIN_NR_1, Mar 20, 2017.

1. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Before anything else, I should say that I really like my Alpha Carnosaur, so I will most likely rather keep him, than the Cuatl Lord for instance.

I will write with some units, why I have taken them, or what I am thinking about them, so reader (you) can get an idea of what I am trying to do (if anything rally :p)

4500 points - There is 4496 points
    Characters - max 40% - 1800 points

Warlord 840 points
    Alpha Carnosaur
    Flesh Render
    Lucky Shield

I am trying not to go overboard with magic items, but the flesh render costs the same as a regular great weapon, but with +1 to armour piercing, so why not. I am thinking of making the Warlord my general, to get the increased range for inspiring presence, as I do not have a BSB (which might be quite dangerous).

Saurian Veteran 360 points
    Raptor
    Armour of Fortune
    Great Weapon

I have never really tried a cowboy, so I thought I would try. He is relatively lightly equipped (there were not a lot of points to throw around). The armour of fortune was only 10 points more than regular heavy armour, which he can not wear as he is mounted. Basic Great weapon should be fine I think.

Cuatl Lord 600 points
    Dispel Scroll

From my last couple of games, I think it is a bit too dangerous to not include some kind of magic, so I went with a basically naked Cuatl Lord, but at least it should give me some decent magic, I just can't quite figure out which path to go with.

Edit: I'm thinking Pyromancy could be okay, to deal with chaff units.

Core min - 20% - 900 points

30 Skinks 610 points
    3 Caimans
    F/C
    Gleaming Icon

I just needed some core, and they are quite fast like the rest of the army, though maybe regular saurus would be a better choice.

16 Saurian warriors 356 points
    F/C

Minor protection for Cuatl Lord.

Edit: Scratch current Core for:

"
    35 Saurian Warriors 890 points
    F/C
    Spears
    Serpent
    War Standard

10 Saurian warriors 190 points
    Serpent
    "

Special - no limit

11 Raptor Riders 700 points
    F/C

Potential support for the Cowboy, Warlord or Taurosaur, and if need be, they are scoring.

Edit: Minor change

"
    10 Raptor Riders 710 points
    F/C
    Reding Banner
    "

Jungle Guerrillas - 30% - 1350 points

10 Chameleons 240 points

10 Chameleons 240 points

Chameleon Skinks to get a bit of poisoned shooting, though maybe Chameleons are not the best at 4500 points. Not quite sure, I have not used them much.

Scratch these fore:

"
    10 Skink Hunters 180 points
    Blowpipes

Blowpipes
    "

Thunder Lizards - 35% - 1575 points

Taurosaur 550 points
    Great Bow
    Engine of the ancients

I am actually not quite sure if it is allowed to have the Great Bow and the engine, but I could not find anything against when I looked. The Engine is to buff my magic a bit, but the main idea is protecting the Alpha Carnosaur, or maybe the cowboy somewhat. This with the Alpha Carnosaur, should be rather dangerous on the charge as well.

So what do ye think? Is it any good, and are there any critique? Any corrections I should think about making?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. Deusvult
    Chameleon Skink

Deusvult Active Member

Hey,
    Could you post the list, just the updated one.

Also Starfall shard on the Alpha Carno is really handy.

3. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

Indded I can.

I'm thinking that the Taurosaur's ward save, should protect the Alpha Carno.
    As it stands now, I have 0 points left for characters, so if I were to take the Starfall Shard, what should I take out?

Updated List:

4500 points
    Characters - max 40% - 1800 points - there are 1800

Warlord 840 points
    Alpha Carnosaur
    Flesh Render
    Lucky Shield

Saurian Veteran 360 points
    Raptor
    Armour of Fortune
    Great Weapon

Cuatl Lord 600 points
    Dispel Scroll

Pyromancy

Core min - 20% - 900 points - there are 1080

35 Saurian Warriors 890 points
    F/C
    Spears
    Serpent
    War Standard

10 Saurian warriors 190 points
    Serpent

Special - no limit - there are 710

10 Raptor Riders 710 points
    F/C
    Rending Banner

Jungle Guerrillas - 30% - 1350 points - there are 360

Blowpipes

Blowpipes

Thunder Lizards - 35% - 1575 points - there are 1070 (as The Alpha Carnosaur counts towards this too)

Taurosaur 550 points
    Great Bow
    Engine of the ancients

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  4. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

Would it be a good idea to take out the veteran on raptor, to instead make the Cuatl lord my BSB, possibly give the warlord the starfall shard or divine icon, and lastly give the Cuatl lord some some disciplnes?

5. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

I really like playing the Cuatl as the BSB, and if he's mostly there for magical protection, you can give him a dispelling bonus through the disciplines.

That said, if you're not really looking to invest in magic, you'll probably be fine just going with a Skink Priest. With Druidism he synergizes well with a number of things, and Shamanism would work well with your monsters, too. You can also put him on a Palanquin of his own and stick him inside that big Saurus block. That would free up points for your Starfall Shard.

Raptor Riders will need to be used carefully. As a bus to deliver your Veteran, they'll work, and they can grind really well with 4 attacks per model. Don't expect too much of them if you're up against high-Strength attacks, though. Most "competitive" players would probably tell you not to bring them, but also a block of 10 is not something that I've really seen anyone bring, so you might be uncharted - or at least unusual - territory.

ASSASSIN_NR_1 likes this.