1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Army of Tepoc

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Theik, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Theik
    Skink

Theik New Member

Just some pictures of my Tepoc themed lizardmen army. The photos are absolutely horrendous and my painting is pretty dire (this is my first time trying to paint miniatures and using greenstuff.), but I figured I'd share them none the less.

skinks.jpg
    Skinks

cavalry.jpg
    Cold One Cavalry

tray.jpg
    Movement tray, made from cardboard, greenstuff and toothpicks.

2. Thunder Lizard
    Skink

Thunder Lizard New Member

movement tray looks good and I do really like your color choices. Good stuff good stuff

Your Friendly Thunder Lizard

3. lazylizard
    Temple Guard

lazylizard New Member

nice. i like how the teeth still shows on the cold one riders.

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Cool - albino lizards. Looks good!

5. slannfrog
    Cold One

slannfrog Member

Your army lacks detail. I suggest using some watered down washing then light highlights on top, it will make a world of difference.

6. Theik
    Skink

Theik New Member

Thanks for the feedback! The models are already washed, though. It is a lot easier to see in person. I took the photos when it was rather dark and I think the flashlight of the camera might have flushed out a lot of the detail. The skinks for example are washed to look like they went through a lot of mud, but you can only really see the wash on the skink to the left, which didn't go blinding white from the flashlight.

Can also slightly see the wash on the left and right cold ones in the tray picture.

But that said, my washing skills are pretty poor, and they're something I'm working on. Thanks for the suggestion to mix it with water, didn't think of that yet.

7. Theik
    Skink

Theik New Member

Finished my temple guard, decided to go with a very gold-y theme for them rather than the traditional bone skulls.

tg_front.jpg
    tg_side.jpg

Terrible photo quality as usual (it can't really focus at higher zoom levels, it just goes blurry. Old camera's for the lose.)

I decided to go with green for the shields on all the models in the army, the same colour as the cold ones.

8. BezZeMad
    Cold One

BezZeMad Member

They're Pretty nice!!!

I like the colours!

What I do for my Lizards is to paint all the areas in a flat colour, like you seem to have done, then give them a wash all over with a neutral colour (I use Ogryn Flesh, but as your colours are different you might want to use Badab Black) then highlight the areas with the original shade. This is a very fast method of painting, but still gives them plenty of detail!

Cheers, Bez

9. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Very nice models! Painting looks very neat and i like your colour scheme.

Small comment with regards to the gold... I think it needs some shading and highlighting in order to remove the flat looks. What I do (and find it is rather effective) is give the gold a brown wash, then highlight with gold, and final highlight with 50/50 mix gold and silver.

10. thegilifeguard
    Skink

thegilifeguard New Member

Lookin good, lookin good!

11. Theik
    Skink

Theik New Member

A new (blurry, but what else is new) picture of my salamander.

salamander.jpg

JPG distortion makes the side look funny (no clue why there's yellow there, really).

Colorscheme is undercoat black drybrushed with a mixture of blue and black, gold for the jewelry, bleached bone for the teeth and claws and a mixture of yellow and red to make the orange on the scales and fins, drybrushed with some yellow. Used badab black ink for the shadows.

The belly was done mixing my orange with some white and a lot of water to form a shoddy ink, then once that was dry I washed it with badab black, then drybrushed with some bleached bone. It looks better in person, but mweh.

12. Theik
    Skink

Theik New Member

Finished my three Terradons.

terradons1.jpg
    terradons2.jpg

Went for a dark blue body. The wings are a mixture of blue, green and white to form a light coloured membrane to set them off.

13. Flint13
    Saurus

Flint13 New Member

I've got to say man, I love your choice of colors. The albino deal looks great, especially on skinks. The contrast agaisnt the dark blue terradon looks pretty darn impressive. I have to agree with you on the cold ones, it kinda sucks that we get chubby velociraptors while the dark elves get wicked looking miniature t-rexs... Admittedly, the squatter broader lizardman cold ones look like they might be able to better support a heafty saurus, but to try and argue something that looks like a sleepy jurrassic park action figure could cause fear? I mean come on, their eyes are even 3/4's of the way closeed, haha. Maybe thats where the stupidity comes in., from trying to keep them from nodding off when there's warmblood killin' to be done. oh well. Keep up the great work, your army looks to be coming along great!!

14. Great Lord Tlanxla
    Saurus

Great Lord Tlanxla New Member

I have to agree with Flint.
    The white lizardmen are just plain awesome. It would be great if we could see some better pictures though so that we could see exactly what they look like. Do you have a stegadon? or a carnosaur? Cuz it would be sick to see the color schemes that you pick out for them

15. Theik
    Skink

Theik New Member

I'll see if I can score a slightly better camera eventually. This old one can't focus at all at high levels of zoom, it just goes blurry (as we've all seen.)

I do have two stegadons, but they're waiting assembled for me to prime and paint them. I'm almost done with my slann mage priest.

16. Theik
    Skink

Theik New Member

Finished my Slann Magepriest.

slann1.jpg
    slann2.jpg

I'm planning to run him with Lore of Life most of the time, so I tried to go with a nature's feel to the throne. It's harder to see on the pictures, but I used a lot of green wash to make it look moss covered, to try and give it a natural feel, and went for more-than-average grass on the base.

17. Theik
    Skink

Theik New Member

A work in progress of my first engine of the gods, because people expressed an interest in my color scheme for it. I went for a dark green color scheme (goblin green mixed with black), making the head stand out by going with red scales there instead of darker green.

It's nothing spectacular, but hey. Nothing in this thread is. :p
    stega1.jpg
    stega2.jpg

My camera can't seem to pick up the colour differences properly though. Scales on his body are a darker green than his 'skin', and the horns and stuff are not one solid colour of ivory, they're darker at the base and lighter at the end.

18. Theik
    Skink

Theik New Member

Haven't posted in a while because I was busy with my Stegadon, but I have finished the Stegadon and the howdah itself, still need to do the priest and the crew, but this should give a good impression of the color scheme I went for.
    stagadon_wip_front.jpg
    stagadon_wip_back.jpg
    stagadon_wip_side.jpg
    stagadon_wip_top.jpg

For the howdah I went with the same technique I did for my Slann to make the stone look old and aged. Basecoated it grey, and then applied a very heavy wash of thraka green. This way it looks like they hauled the stone platform out of the swamp, polished the gold slightly, redid the painting and slapped it on the back of a Stegadon after their temple city was reclaimed.

19. spyglius
    Jungle Swarm

spyglius New Member

Nice, but would be even better if the pics were here ;)

20. Theik
    Skink

Theik New Member

Yes, sir!
    I actually tried to link them with the img tag before. I only just noticed the pic one, which does seem to allow me to post the pictures. The rest pretty much spat out "maximum size is -1 px'.