1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Army Painting Help

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Trix, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Trix
    Skink

Trix New Member

Hi all I just wanted to know if anyone could help me. I have two color schemes in mind that I would like to do my Skink army based in the city of the sky Tlanxla.
    The only problem I am having is that these will be the first models I will be trying to paint with the idea of turning into my army theme, I don't know even what basecoat to start with let alone the colors to use ^^;;;

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Pigeon_Point_at_Dawn_San_Mateo_County_California.jpg

Basically I am deciding between a dawn and dusk style army. If anyone could help me with what colors will be using I would be very grateful ^^

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

3. Trix
    Skink

Trix New Member

Thanks... but to prove my lack of painting knowledge... whats a PRIMER ^^;;;
    And that Saurus painter is interesting, just a shame you can't mix colors and that there isn't a skink version XD

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

5. Trix
    Skink

Trix New Member

I looked at your scheme ideas and there is some nice designs in there that i might try. I have about 3 spare skinks that I could try a couple of ideas on.
    Ah so thats what a primer is. I understand now :p

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Basicly it makes ur paint stay on, and go on smoother.
    I recomend usung automotive primer in a spraycan.

7. Trix
    Skink

Trix New Member

Sounds like a plan. The only thing I am not sure of still is the paints that I will need, because recently they changed their range of paints didn't they ?

8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

You are allowed to use any brand or color you want man. ;)

9. Trix
    Skink

Trix New Member

True true. Well right now I am trying a dusk and dawn scheme on some spare skinks that I have to see how that turns out. Once decided I will paint up a few and start off my own paint blog :p

10. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

You could even go down to the local hobby/craft store and look for their range of acrylic paint that has the dots on the lids that show the colors. Pick up those for much less than GW paint and get twice as much paint (at least). You will have to thin them down some before use, but that equals more paint in the long run anyway.

11. Trix
    Skink

Trix New Member

If I did have to pick up some GW paints, could you recommend me which ones I should get for the purple pink sky colors. I really want to do some painting but I don't know where to start XD

12. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I think you should start with the games workshop paints. It will help you a lot. The new set lays out base coats, layers, shades, and hilights really well. As well as when you watch videos or ask people what colors they used etc most people use the GW paints or at least are familiar with them and can tell you about what color they used.

Also I would recommend that you not mix the paints. At least for your basic core troops. You are going to have to paint a lot of them. And it is hard to make the same exact color again. Also you'll probably be using something like 12-15 colors on each model even for a beginner. Recipes for mixing really makes it hard to remember how to recreate what you did before.

On the heroes and one of models, have at the mixing. It's the best part of painting. Anything that you want to look unique like each hero maybe each sallie or each krox, have at the mixing. You will be mixing and shading up and down so much you won't ever be able to recreate it or remember what you did.

This should help you understand how the new paints work.
    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=2000010

This is a wonderful place to start and help you pick colors to buy.
    Pick one based on the layer colors. That will be the general skin tone.
    The other colors are hilights and shades. Of course depending on how thick you put your paint on the base coat may be a factor too. Which reminds me, water down your paints. The thinner, the more control you have over the color. Just apply more coats to areas that need more of the tone.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/paintChart.jsp?catId=cat820002a&rootCatGameStyle=

Good Luck! And if you don't like any of the layer colors, adding more or the hilight color can brighten up the layer without mixing and shades can darken the layers without mixing.

13. PossumCraft
    Skink

PossumCraft New Member

Not to toot my own horn, but I've recently been playing with colour schemes and have a couple similar to the images you posted:

tg6.jpg
    tg4.jpg
    tg5.jpg

If you're interested I can give you a breakdown on how I painted those.

14. Trix
    Skink

Trix New Member

Damn Oo..... those be some very colorful reptiles.
    I would like to do something along the lines for my skink army, the first picture you put. Is it difficult to do, cause my painting experience is very low ^^;;;

15. PossumCraft
    Skink

PossumCraft New Member

surprisingly easy :p

Unfortunately I'm slack and am still using a few of the old colours, so you might need to do a bit of conversion at your local store!

So the basic colour is Ice Blue.

1. Paint with ice blue til you have a good solid colour (several layers usually.)
    2. While the last layer is still wet, mix up some Ice Blue and Warlock Purple (about 50/50) and paint it on. Before that dries, use a moist brush to smear the place where one colour meets the other.
    3. Before that dries, add a bit more Warlock Purple to the mix on the palette then paint that on to the mini. Again, moist brush to smear the line where they meet.
    4. Before that dries, paint pure Warlock Purple on and again smear the line where they meet.
    5. Allow it to dry.
    6. Paint another coat of pure Warlock Purple to strengthen the colour.

With each consecutive layer leave a little more of the underlying colour exposed.

Let me know if you need a little clarification!

16. Trix
    Skink

Trix New Member

Damn thats a lot of work. The problem being I am one of those that is... not confident when I comes to doing painting.
    I decided I will stick to something a bit more simple, but still make my army look awesome :p

17. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Beah practice makes perfect, Break out a guinea pig and give it a shot. :chicken:

18. Trix
    Skink

Trix New Member

Very very true practice makes perfect. But why harass a poor innocent guinea pig surely we should put abusive painting powers to practice on rats :p

19. PossumCraft
    Skink

PossumCraft New Member

Actually to err.... share one of my deepest darkest secrets....

The entire list of steps there to achieve the blending on my temple guard takes err... maybe 10 minutes per guy :oops:

Tell no one o_O

The saurus take a bit longer but that's because the colour change is more extreme. Still, not as long as people seem to think ^.^ My advice is to experiment. It took me about 3 hours to paint the first blending on a lizardman, and now it takes 10 minutes - you get more confident and learn timesaving techniques surprisingly quick!

20. Trix
    Skink

Trix New Member

I should have also pointed out that I was planning on doing a skink army ^^;;;
    Well I plan on doing that army theme idea, though the colors aren't going to be quite adventurous as what I had originally planned I have just decided to keep it simple, but that doesn't mean it won't be fun to paint.

Heck I may even put up a painting blog to let you all know how the skinky goodness is coming along XD

Death from above, for the glory of Sotek !!! >:3