1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arrayed for War: painting log

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by lordberti3, Aug 28, 2012.

1. lordberti3
    Saurus

lordberti3 New Member

Hi, i hae finally got round to starting my painting/converting log. i don't have much to start with but i dont have much done yet; just assembled lots of models (especially skinks). hope this works!

this is my converted skink priest with staff of the lost sun.
    55e73ceb.jpg
    6dafd490.jpg

this is my converted standard bearer; i will either try and get rid of the strange lumps or just paint them gold.
    29efff55.jpg

my painted oldblood.
    0bec5cd8.jpg
    8ae420be.jpg

a skirmisher, this is my brave so i tried to make him look scarred, this is why one of his eyes his miscoloured and scratched (not sure if you can see in pic.
    feb6a51a.jpg
    1e4be2c4.jpg

and last but not least a skink (one of my first properly painted models)
    4f6e004c.jpg
    57b24bcf.jpg

any advice, constructive criticism welcome :D

Sorry for poor photo quality, ill try and sort that.

2. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

overall they are lovely. you have spent more time than average on the bases which really helps the models along. a superbly painted model with a slap dash base will look pretty slap dash. a nice base will bring forth the model.

You have some creative conversions there and that is always nice. i would however do something about the skink standard bearer. that banner pole will break, and the strange lumps makes it look like it broke fifty times already and you got tired of it. instead i recommend getting either a plastic rod (from another models lance or spear perhaps) or a brass rod (a paper clip will do too) and drill a whole in the skink´s hand. put the rod through the hole so you have a banner pole made from a single piece. that will make it MUCH stronger. you can then glue on the fancy decorations.

I think you should get some better lighting for the pictures too. now the light is coming from the side, making the actual models very dark. use several lamps and maybe even the flash on the camera to get some better lighting. a superbly painted model will not look superb in a bad picture. you dont need any fancy equipment, just a normal camera and a few desktop lamps. you already have a good box or something to place the models in it seems. use a tri pod to get rid of the slight blur in the picture, and use a timer on the camera so you arent actually touching it as the photo is taken (hands always vibrate). a tripod can be bought for about 10€ (om talking about a very small one, but it works wonders).

best of luck with the painting log :)
    /T

3. lordberti3
    Saurus

lordberti3 New Member

thanks for the advice: i shall fix the standard (yeah i did begin to get tried of it)
    how shall i do the bases? just add more details; e.g. rocks more plants or do i just paint it over the sand abit

anyways, i have fixed the photo problem (not the standard bearer)

Skink skirmisher:
    b91f8284.jpg
    a7447753.jpg

Skink with Javelin:
    cbbe227a.jpg
    7ff75957.jpg

Saurus Oldblood:
    a8ee4d6b.jpg
    9bcdfe3c.jpg

Converted Skink Cheif: (arm is currently held on by bluetack)
    4b950fa8.jpg
    2b56c6bd.jpg

Hope these are better pics :D

P.S. thanks for the advice Lord Tsunami

4. lordberti3
    Saurus

lordberti3 New Member

Also, toady i will hopefully start my making my salamander: im going for scratchbuilt because i can't afford to spent £20 on it but if its crap ill buy it :D

5. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Ah, much better pictures. I couldn't even see the colours of their skin in the original ones... I really like the scarred eyes on the Skink Brave, he does look likes he has "seen" his share of battles. Good luck with the Salamander!

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Ah yes, pictures are excelent now,
    hmmm i realy like the conversions on that one skink. :)

7. lordberti3
    Saurus

lordberti3 New Member

Ok, justa quick update, i have started to work on my salamander; i've sculpted a base with a plant(WIP, help needed on how to finish) and have constructed a quick wire model to see how it will look. (the wire model is temporary so can be modified but i will use wire for a sculpting base.

4c051b17.jpg

So i will try and keep the model looking similar but with obvious changes to the pose, i wanted to make it look like its crawling over the rock to make an attack, with its mouth gaping open as if to breath fire.

Any criticism welcome (and help with the plant seen in background, greeny black colour)

8. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Awesome! I love to see this type of work. Please post some in progress pics. I would like to see the final armature before you add any sculpting material to it as well. I assume that you will change the orientation of the left rear leg (that one seems at the wrong angle).

I look forward to seeing the progress on this.

9. lordberti3
    Saurus

lordberti3 New Member

ah yes, ive just checked my model and the rear legs are on back to front; that would make one funny lookin' salamander. :oops:

i shall try and keep you informed on how its going with pics.

also im not sure im going to do anything elso to the armature except from strengthen it(and adjust the legs) and the add the spine on when the body is under construction; does that sound like it will work; or shall i bulk it up with masking tape or something... actually... thats not a bad idea (soory, just writing out my thought process). ill be back.

10. lordberti3
    Saurus

lordberti3 New Member

Re: Arrayed for War: painting log (updated)

i have strentghed the model with masking tape and have also finished painting a jungle swarm (not based yet)

9fba8e00.jpg

7b3a664c.jpg
    f91bbda9.jpg
    criticism welcome for the swarm.

11. elmoheadbutt
    Cold One

elmoheadbutt New Member

May I suggest putting patterns on the snakes' backs? They kinda look like worms lollies at the moment. But I'm really liking the colour combo.

12. rdennison11
    Skink

rdennison11 New Member

What kinda patterns; Like stripes kind of thing

13. lordberti3
    Saurus

lordberti3 New Member

My other account.

So, I've put a few basic patterns on them, spots stripes, drybrushing
    Lighter colours : is thr what you meant?

14. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Something like this:

100_7234.jpg

15. lordberti3
    Saurus

lordberti3 New Member

Thank you, i just needed a visual to inspire me.

16. lordberti3
    Saurus

lordberti3 New Member

Quick update;

i have done a few patterns of the snakes; not too many but i think its just right( but i wont post a pic until ive based it.

i have also started a bit of work on the salamander doing the basic body: it has begun.

and also ive started to work on the base for tetto'eko (but really not much at all yet.)

17. lordberti3
    Saurus

lordberti3 New Member

the base on the swarm is no complete:
    cc5c890b.jpg

i tried to get a decent picture of the patterns; i didn't want to put on too many otherwise i dont think it would look natural.
    88aefb83.jpg

i have sculpted a basic body onto the salamander now and have begun to work on the head/mouth. (ignore the sail, it will be filed down in size as it is to big, but i am wondering wether it needs more point things)

d4878934.jpg
    ed2534fc.jpg
    d1fde2be.jpg
    i am wondering if i should put a crest on his head like the GW salamanders or to leave it?

criticism and tips for sculpting welcome.

18. elmoheadbutt
    Cold One

elmoheadbutt New Member

fire_lizard_by_yuchenghong-d4gqjeu.jpeg

I like this one.

19. lordberti3
    Saurus

lordberti3 New Member

I'm liking that picture, that's very inspirational and some ideas are in the process of being stolen: updates will be slower now as I am back at school but I will try and keep you informed

20. lordberti3
    Saurus

lordberti3 New Member

Re: Arrayed for War: painting log (update 09/06)

I have finished making my salamander now, it's no where near as good as anything else on the website but as a first model (and first sculpting ever) its not bad.

I added a few scales and some liquid green stuff to add a bit of texture

I will post pics as soon as