1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Assistance with HE's, Ogres, and Skaven..and COC

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Meleemadness, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Meleemadness
    Skink

Meleemadness New Member

Is it possible to have one 2500 point list that can handle all three armies or would it be best to adjust for each opponent? I like all the monsters and stuff the lizardmen have to offer but I know the HEs use two bolt throwers and the Ogres have a mobile cannon.

Oh, are COC any good? I have the battalion box and it came with 8......but I never see them in peoples lists.

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

It is possible to design a good all comers list that can contend with any army but a list tailored army will do better against a specific opponent.

Monsters are a very poor match up versus cannons. Either avoid monsters or field great numbers of them to overwhelm your opponent. Personally from a competitive standpoint I typically avoid fielding monsters because of their weakness to cannons.

They are overcosted for what they bring. They do make great delivery systems for Scar-Vet and Oldblood cowboys.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Cold one Cav are in all of my list...
    they are a bit expensive, but also effective when used correctly.
    and amazing when you add a mounted Saurus hero.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Personally I wouldn't run them without any characters in the unit. They just don't match up to what other armies can field in similar categories. However, as a bus they work fine.

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

The big difference between our Cav and other peoples knights is that while their units are hammers ours is more of an anvil.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

)
    Which is not something that cavalry typically excels at. With only 1 wound and a 2+ armour save (@30 ppm) our cavalry won't make for a very good anvil, IMHO. I think our cavalry's main function is as a delivery system for our cowboys.

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

It's the TO4 LD8 +2AS coldblooded and fear that keep them from going anywhere.
    Eventually they will grind down most units over several turns. This has been my experience.
    I have had them last 3 or 4 turns against iron guts.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I wouldn't want to play those odds myself. A 2+ armour save is not that great for such a small unit. With a character they can hold their own, but against other units of their kind they fall a bit short.

9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

The problem of an all-comers list, is also that some of those armies, require different approaches and units to deal with them.
    For example, sallies are a very strong weapon against skavens, but work poorly vs ogres...

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I agree. All-comers lists work very well if everyone in the group is creating such lists. It only fails if you are creating an all-comers list while your opponent is specifically building his list to face your army.

11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I played against a similar list of opponents, I liked to change up my list a lot to keep them guessing,
    one week it would be a magic heavy skink list, and the next it would be a Saurus heavy monster list,
    and after that an all fast units list... you get the idea.