1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Basing Sand for Sale

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Hookadoodle, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Hookadoodle
    Saurus

Hookadoodle New Member

The sand sucks - its too small
    The old dirt/gravel was so much better - it was bigger grains and had like little rocks and stuff in it

Does anyone know any way to make the sand like bigger/chunkier, like closer to the old gravel that they use to sell.
    or
    Does anyone know a close alternative that relatively looks the same as the old dirt

2. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

I use washed beach sand mix with fine cat litter (bentonite) just shop around for the grain size you want its also sanitized and pre wash needless to say relativly cheap

3. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I use a mixture of the GW sand, kitty litter, and ground up cork board. Works fairly well. I also painted the kitty litter with gray primer to give it some color (other than white and blue).

4. Hookadoodle
    Saurus

Hookadoodle New Member

Everyone talks about this cork board
    What is this?
    Do you make it or buy it?

5. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

It's just a cork board that you could pick up at most stores. In the States, we can find it at office supply stores, Walmart, Target, as well as any craft store. It is the cork board that you would use with tacks to post things on a bulletin board. That said, you could even take actual cork and cut it up and manually crumble it. That is what I have been doing (with the cork board). You can see in this example. There is also painted kitty litter in there as well as sand and static grass.

2010-10-20220400.jpg