1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basecoating lizardmen

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by SeBM, Apr 1, 2010.

1. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I'm curious, does anyone basecoat their lizardmen with black? What is the standard basecoat for Skinks? What about Saurus Warriors?

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Basecoat or undercoat? I undercoat absolutely everything with black because white can be a pain to get rid of from the deepest areas of the model.

Basecoat? Scab red for the scales, and a dark blue which name I have forgotten right now for the skin. Either storm or regal I think.

3. b3rtil
    Saurus

b3rtil Member

I undercoat my lizzys black atm. but I'm planing on switching to white instead. better for my yellowish sand lizzys =)

4. Kondoe
    Skink

Kondoe New Member

I'm using white at the moment, but will switch to black. I'm doing orange skin with black scales.

5. Tetz
    Skink

Tetz New Member

It depends on what I'm painting. For skinks and saurus I basecoat white, I've found that it works great. I thin my blue and it goes on great and gives a bright look to the body. For my cold ones I did black, because I wanted a darker overall look to the model.

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Lately I have been priming black....
    then I spray them with a whits basecoat
    from straight overhead and about 30 degres
    to each side from 2 or 3 feet away.
    this gives me the best of both worlds,
    the recesses are all dark a shaded and the higlights
    will be bright and clean.

7. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

I'm priming my lizards Dark Angle's green. Since I plan on painting my guys a green color scheme I feel that a darker version of the basic color helps to flesh out that look. For the skinks I'll likely prime in white though since I'll be making them a brighter green instead of the saurus and monster's darker. I still havne't figured out what I'm gonna color my Terradons...I'm thinking maybe a blue or perhaps take a page from the movie 'Avatar'

8. giant stegadon
    Saurus

giant stegadon New Member

I used GW white primer for my undercoat. I wanted the army itself to be bright. However, I've found that GW Black primer goes on far better. The white I've had a lot of trouble with "sputtering" & getting a coat on there without having it too thick. I think I also might be too impatient when I prime...

9. adam.s
    Jungle Swarm

adam.s New Member

IMHO you should ALWAYS ALWAYS undercoat your models, it means that the foundation paint sticks to the model much better. GW use mould release agent that often means it's hard to apply thin paint directly onto the model. If you're after a dark look in the recesses (e.g. the scales) why not apply a wash afterwards. I always paint the scales, apply a wash, then highlight.

If you're wanting to cover a lot of models quickly, think about getting an airbrush. I undercoated my CoC with chaos black spray, then used the citadel airbrush to give them all a dark angels basecoat (saves painting each one individually)