1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bases?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by forlustria, May 26, 2013.

1. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

forlustria Well-Known Member

guys im in a right pickle and its driving me mad. Im currently making some skinks for an etc event and ive decided with the new book coming out I would redo my lizards. so got a nice new colour on my new skinks but am having real trouble getting the bases right.

I have lots of bases stuff but just cant get then right. I want a jungle type theme any ideas?

2. clockwork lizard
    Skink

clockwork lizard New Member

I find actual real earth works pretty good. Get some from a plant or something. Also, jungles are often quite green so painting the bases greenish brown instead of normal brown or grey works a charm.

Try experimenting with cork and styrofoam, both can be used to create rocks and decaying buildings, which is always a nice touch.

Good luck!

3. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

If there is a basing style you would like to emulate, post some pics and maybe we can help you figure out how to do it.

4. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/images/Battle_Bases/B02142_BBases_Jungle_WRound40mm.jpg

these type of leaves interest me. not so much the temple bits

5. Snellius
    Skink

Snellius New Member

Personally I've basecoated my bases with Lustrian Undergrowth and gave it a highlight with Zandri Dust. I don't know how fancy you want your base to be but I think it looks pretty neat and 'junglish' for a start.

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

These might be a bit dificult to emulate, since they are all custom sculpts...

I supose you could go crazy and buy a bunch of brass plants and some custom rubble and other bits.
    (But that would probaly cost more than the base themselves)

You could go the thrifty route and decorate you bases with leftover bits, and some plastic plants of the apropriate size.

B02142_BBases_Jungle_WRound40mm.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Agreed. If you aren't good with green-stuff, you will need to go the aquarium-plant route on top of sand or other texture.

8. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

9. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Still, it could be a better value than the precast bases depending on how much stuff is in there. If you could stretch that kit to 30+ bases, it would be a pretty good deal. I have no experience with it though.

10. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

My wood elf friend uses the brass leaves extensively, and they do look good. There's 1 sprue in the basic warhammer basing kit, which is slightly cheaper, I think.

Brass foliage looks pretty good for jungle bases IMO, usually a lot better than aquarium plants, or sculpted stuff. Unless you're quite good at sculpting, it can really break the look of the base.

There are other places that do brass leaves, like http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=accessories~etched-brass-(foliage),
    http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/wargaming-materials-tools/leaves.html, etc.,
    but I haven't used them, or even seen them in action.

11. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

have a look here:
    http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/GroundCover

i use painted sand with bits of static grass, clump foliage and moss. a combination of these on one base if done subtly gives a nice varied undergrowth look. the size of the bits of the foliage and moss is dependent on base size, but it does work well on skink bases

12. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

I purchased plastic ferns and other small leafed plants to put on bases I've coated with real sand. I have some gravel pieces of various sizes to lay down some rock accents. Michaels or other craft stores should have

13. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Personal taste, while I find that clump foliage is ok for table-top standard, IMO it looks a bit "plastic" and unrealistic, and can spoil a more finished model.

14. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

thanks guys but I think ive found a way to get the look I want. I use lustrian undergrowth with a nuln oil wash then a drybrush with a sickly green colour . then ive got a mix of green lichen stuff and some small amounts of static grass (grass mixed with scorched grass) I have also got the death world base kit from gw to do things on bigger bases.