1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bases?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Larinus, Sep 1, 2010.

?

Which base colour do you prefer?

1. Green

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Brown

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Leave Black

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Other (please specify by replying to thread)

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Larinus
    Chameleon Skink

Larinus New Member

Hi all, I was wondering what people think about base colours. Green, brown, and black are the only ones I've seen so far. I've just finished a unit of Saurus with my new colour scheme, and am really pleased with them, however I don't want to ruin it by painting the bases a bad colour. Of course, I already to know to flock it and stuff, just want your opinion on the outside rim colour.

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Never a fan of the green or brown,
    usualy the last thing I do is paint the base
    sides a nice gloss black to cover up all
    the mess I made basing it. ;)

3. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

I voted "other"...

I like cobblestones or ruins on bases, with lots of plant life, as if they're in an overgrown temple in the jungle.
    I suppose that translates to grey or tan for the base color.

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Well, the rim is not going to wreck the model, especially since you can paint over it in a matter of seconds anyway. It will generally depend on how the rest of the base looks as to what works best on the rim, I generally find green doesn't work so either a brown or black.

For the base, I don't recommend putting flock on the whole thing. A straight green grassy base looks boring, especially for LM. Just putting that out there. :)

5. Larinus
    Chameleon Skink

Larinus New Member

What would you put on the standard siz of base, instead of grass, or flock. I like small pieces of bark, but they look massive on the small sized bases.

6. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I still use flock, just not covering the whole base. It looks good patchy with pare patches of dirt around. If you browse on the GW website, most of their LOTR figures are based like that, in fact so are the LM on the GW website.

Have a look in the photo section of the army book, it should give you a few good ideas.

7. Nuclear
    Skink

Nuclear New Member

All of GWs fantasy bases are done with graveyard earth rims. Myself, I have only ever done black, but haven't done any fantasy armies either...

If the base is predominately brown or grey, brown trim would work. if its got some other colors goin on, stick with black maybe. Black would work with anything other than ice bases, IMO. And since this is lizardmen we are talking about, that's not a problem.

8. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

I paint my bases Scorched brown. But then again, Said brown is the dominant colour on the base, and doesn't clash with the model.
    My Eldar on the other hand (snow bases) I let have black rims. I just find it odd if the rim is any other colour on them, although light grey is a good candidate.

I've seen red base rims. The only thing you need to think about is that it shouldn't clash with your other colours, and keep it neutral. You want people to look at the model, not the base. (Most of the time)

Cheers!