1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bases?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by synical, Oct 8, 2012.

1. synical
    Skink

synical New Member

Not sure where to put this topic tbh, but here goes nothing.

What's the best way visually that you guys create and paint the bases for the lizardmen army?

I've been toying with the idea of custom jungle bases online for my hero models and such as they're quite pricey. But not sure what colour to paint my bases and what to put on them really, as grass
    /sand seems wierd.

Thoughts appreciate.

//syn

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Mine are bassed on moss and rocks, I figure that stuff is probaly on the jungle floor,
    also you could base them with a lot of leaf litter, ot maybe some carved stone from the temple floor.
    It realy depends on the theme of your Lizardmen.

3. synical
    Skink

synical New Member

I figured vines and leaves would be the best bet really. Not sure what to say my army theme is based on really.

Though i don't know what would look good on the bases to make it seem jungle based, Mainly in terms of what colour to paint the bases aswell as finding stuff to proxy on the bases to create fake leaves and such. I've heard good things for using aquariam based plants to be painted over and use those, Though money is tight so don't want to be spending loads on making the bases look good.

//syn

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

5. synical
    Skink

synical New Member

Those were something i was looking into myself, but didn't give the overall feel of what i wanted.

I thought about these bases:

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/forest-bases-20x20mm-p-74.html

They're quite nice in overall theme/feel, but a bit pricey and maybe a little to busy for my liking. Though i'd have no idea where to get small lizards/logs or leaves that would look fitting.

6. Ragnar
    Saurus

Ragnar New Member

I throw some plastic plants onto my bases that I got at the dollar store. Other than that, I just use the same flock and static as my gaming table at home, and they turn out okay. If I need some variation I paint some sand brown for mud or throw a rock/temple stone thingy onto them.

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

8. synical
    Skink

synical New Member

Good ideas so far guys, appreciate it - though funding is scarce due to purchasing a slann and some terradons :D I've elected to try out the aqauriam plants and see how they come out.

Lack of hobby stores around here makes it hard to find leaves and such. Still trying to find tiny lizards/toads :D

//syn

9. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

10. synical
    Skink

synical New Member

Good reads guys, really appreciate it - Having only gotten back into the hobby recently i'm still new to basing and converting things.

But generally, the plant like things i got seem to be a good fit, still a shame i can't find small frogs/lizards and such. But going to paint them and see if i can find some decent tutorials. I'll try the tea leaves thing and post pictures if my camera phone is any good.

//syn

11. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Haha, plus, you'd most likely had the best smelling army around!

12. synical
    Skink

synical New Member

Well, was making progress today with the aquariam plant like things i purchased - in the process of letting them dry from the prime coat of paint. My biggest concern is how to lay them out, I have some viney type things and plant/fly catcher leaves - but not sure how to really go about placing them asthetically on the base, I did however find these today:

http://www.totalwargamer.co.uk/the-army-painter-battlefields-xp-jungle-tuft.html

13. synical
    Skink

synical New Member

Just posting a short update as i forgot about the post in honesty -

I'm really struggling on what to do for my big creatures as such; Carnosaur, stegadon, slann and my three terradons in terms of basing. I can't decide how to make them look amazing without going overboard on cost aswell as making the bases to busy.

I posted some images of a few models aswell as some "plastic aquariam" style plants i managed to pick up and would love some onput on how to use/arrange or add to the feel of what i posted - here's the link:
    http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/my-lizardmen.10000/

//syn