1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bastiladon Paintings Advice

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by DeathBringer125, Feb 24, 2019.

1. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

DeathBringer125 Well-Known Member

Hey I just got my first bastiladon and I am building it with Solar Engine. I would like some color scheme ideas possibly to match my Dread if that would look good. Also I thought it would be epic to make the crystal look like stars however I have no clue if that is even possible or if it would look good. I will find a pic of the star thing I want and if possible please tell me how to do that or if that will be to hard for me. I finally wised up and didn’t glue on the solar engine together yet so I could paint around and under it. I also didn’t add the skinks yet. Please give me some pointers and tips also please make any color scheme suggestions with GW paints if possible.

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

B878607E-2408-4A84-8330-BAEB4930593D.png this is what I would like to do if possible.

LizardWizard and Crowsfoot like this.
  3. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Now I don't know the names for GW paints, but what I would do, is paint the crystal black, and then paint almost all of it a dark blue, preferably with no hard edges, so it blends into the black. Then I would use a fairly light blue and put in the stars, and then lastly use white (or something close) to paint the insides of the stars.

I've seen something like what you describe I think:

http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/bastiladon.12692/page-3

[​IMG]

Seraphage, LizardWizard and Imrahil like this.
  4. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

Or you can go lighter and dark wash with blue/purple - keep adding to get the darker effects whilst leaving the edges paler.
    Add details as you go (stars etc) and wash over them lightly - when done highlight the edges and details with white - that way you get the blend of shades.

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

Is it possible for any of you to make a short video of doing this? Or explain it in depth as well as the techniques used.

6. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

So I got paints today. So to do the stars would I base abaddon Black, then do I put on a base of light blue? Or will I still be able to make it black without using abaddon black base.

LizardWizard likes this.
  7. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

I have no video equipment, and I'm horribly slow at painting, so it might be pretty boring to watch. I can try to explain what I meant a bit more in depth:

You can certainly use abaddon black as a base, though often when painting black, you might not actually need completely black, just something close to it, and it might even result in a better finish.

I would use basecoat black, and then use a thinned dark blue to give some subtle color almost everywhere, possibly with several layers. You probably could start lighter and use washes as Deed525 suggests, though I don't have any experience doing it that way. After that I would add the lighter blue as the stars, and after that a very light blue or white-ish color as the center of the stars. With this approach you will then have to paint the edges lighter too if you want that.
    Part of the picture you used looks a bit purple, so some thin coats of that might be good too.

Is this helpful/should I try to go more in depth?

In any event, the surface of the gem is smooth, so even if you do not like the result, you can easily start over, since there isn't any detail to lose.

Maybe master Crowsfoot is more suited for this?

8. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

thank you very much this is what I was looking for. Lol I really don’t want to mess up my bastiladon.

ASSASSIN_NR_1 likes this.
  9. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

No problem, I'm just glad you can use it ;).

I know the feeling, some models you just don't want to mess up on.

Post some pictures of it, either W.I.P. or when it's finished, I look forward to seeing the result

10. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

F53E2DD3-8505-47F2-920C-2F51ED6EA290.jpeg 3455C171-EB56-4FC3-85CB-FA975866DCDC.jpeg 8A90C775-436E-4E6C-9922-18A7A0BD0CB2.jpeg My work so far. The shell is caledor blue with drakenhoff nightshade and druchii (something it’s a light purple). The crystal I did caledor blue and I added stars and I plan to shade it just like the bastiladon. I will get a better pic of shell at some point but I plan to highlight the edges using a light blue (possibly caledor blue)

Seraphage and ASSASSIN_NR_1 like this.
  11. inakue
    Saurus

inakue Well-Known Member

I hope this helps:

12. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

If you want really tiny stars and struggle to paint them, you could "flick" them on.
    Basically: put white color on a toothbrush or something similarly stiff, and use your finger or something to move the bristles. That will create tiny droplets flying around, hitting your surface and thus creating tiny white dots.
    (Test it on something other than your model before though).

Crowsfoot likes this.
  13. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

This method is tried and tested and used by some of the best painters around the globe.

You can use an off white to create the effect of stars being dimmer, adjust the size of the "stars" by moving the brush closer/further away depending if you want bigger/smaller stars.

LizardWizard likes this.
  14. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

Nice ty for the help I will redo it (the crystal) and try to do that nebula video and add the stars via toothbrush or just being extra careful.

LizardWizard likes this.