1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bastilodon paint help

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Stuart Glasson, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Stuart Glasson
    Skink

Stuart Glasson Member

Hi guys,
    I think this guy looks awesome. Can anyone suggest how they did the scales? Thanks v much
    /Stuart

[​IMG]

Crowsfoot and LizardWizard like this.
  2. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

I also love that effect, but been too scared to attempt it.

The synic in me wants to say it’s been stencilled with an airbrush... but on the other hand you Could build up the orange very slowly with a base of orange and then a series of glazes? I’m not a very good painter so I’m sure someone who actually knows something will come along shortly :)

3. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

This looks like freehand. You can see the layers of orange and yellow over-top the greys.
    also this:

Simply change the color palate to match your desired scheme.

Crowsfoot and Karnus like this.
  4. Stuart Glasson
    Skink

Stuart Glasson Member

Thanks - I watched that earlier and what I'm wondering is how do the fire patterns 'pop' so well. I feel if I try it it will come out too matt. So perhaps my question is - do you think they use something special to make the colours so vivid?

Crowsfoot likes this.
  5. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I think they just use several thin layers of bright colors that cover well. I personally would paint those areas white and start from there. IMO it is much easier to get brilliant bright colors when starting from white.

6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Yep, base the pattern in white. Probably a good two layers. Then start off with a deep red and transition through oranges and yellows. Build up smaller and brighter mimics of the larger shapes you laid out in red.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

It's a classic trick to get it looking so vivid, the finish is matt but it looks so vivid because your eye is drawn to that area.

Base coat it white as the boys have already said, now the trick is in the outline, it's dark red not bright red that draws your eye to the pattern then you see bright orange and that's how you trick the mind. If you want a colour to really look vivid surround it with dark colours.

Mephiston red then inlay with fire dragon bright apply thin layers.

Stuart Glasson and Karnus like this.