1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Battalion Rules

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Otzi'mandias, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

Do battalion rules count if you have surplus models to the battalion? Just a musing but I need answers! Also guys, if in conflict just agree to disagree and move on ok? I dont want to start a verbal fight to the death.

2. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

We have never played it like that. The units you include obviously have no max model count, but you can't have more units than the scroll states in a single formation.

Also summoned units will not count towards a formation, even if they are the same unit types. Only units initially set-up can count.

3. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

Just to clarify in case I wasn't clear enough there.

The rules for a single battalion will only apply to the number of units stated on the scroll. If you bring surplus units they will NOT gain any of the special rules unless they themselves are part of a different battalion.

Bainbow likes this.
  4. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

The second post was exactly what I eant I phrased it very badly. Sorry for the newbie-ness, I havent had chance to play many aos battles yet but I am signing up for a tournament in a few days so prepare for my metamorphosis into a veteran.

Freddy25 and StealthKnightSteg like this.
  5. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think they are always active as long as you have the models required for that formation.
    If you have that formation's units AND some others (a Slann and a Salamander, for example), simply these ones (i.e. Slann and Salamander) don't get the bonuses!
    I've always played AoS following this idea... but now that you make me think about it, probably we are doing it wrong: seriously, why does a formation cannot be "built" along the match?

I mean, maybe is it possible to field at the beginning of the battle a Sunblood and 2 Saurus units, and make them become a SunclawStarhost during the 2nd turn by summoning another Saurus unit...
    I'm in doubt :bookworm: :watching:

6. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I don't think this would be the case but given the exact wording I'm not so sure. Technically speaking, as per the 4 page rules any models that aren't on the table are "held in reserve", so really summoning is more akin to Deep Strike in 40k (albeit triggered by magic) rather than creating new units, so I suppose you could say "hey this unit of blue saurus are part of the Sunclaw Star Host" and just not deploy them during set up, but then if you summon a yellow unit of Saurus then they wouldn't count as part of the Sunclaw host and not get the benefit.

I'd tread carefully though, I know a lot of people wouldn't be fond of this interpretation. As with most aspects of setting up an AoS game I'd say have a chat with your opponent first and see if you can come to an agreement with them.

7. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

Well this might be a thing though as the Stormcast's Lightning Strike actually works this way.. well sort off.. with set-up you still have to set them up in the celestial realm and thus are known to be there. And there is no "summon-cost" to them as I can deploy them any time in my movement phases. But by this I think you can use it like that. At least the unit is known.