1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battle for skull pass

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by shari, Feb 3, 2010.

1. shari
    Jungle Swarm

shari New Member

hi,
    me and a friend of mine ar absolute warhammer newbies. will we be able to play with the battle for skull pass starter kit? I mean without anyone elses help, just by follwoing the starter guide.

thx for your awnsers and sorry bout my english, i don't use it often ;o)

2. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Yes you will be able to play the few missions they have in there, and some battles, the armies are about equal points. However you will need to buy army books to advance your army or play tournament games.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah it is designed as a box to get new players started and has everything you need to play some battles and learn the rules.

4. shari
    Jungle Swarm

shari New Member

Thanks for your awnsers!

We finally bought it and started to play. It's great!

5. Stegadeth
    Temple Guard

Stegadeth New Member

So glad to hear you like it! Welcome to the wonderful world of Warhammer Fantasy Battles.

6. Skrox
    Cold One

Skrox New Member

I had a question about the models in this boxed set. I have seen some up for sale on ebay and they look like they aren't quite as nice as regular GW models. Specifically the dwarfs. Am I crazy or do they make these guys differently? I know they are alot cheaper so it would make sense if that were the case, but I don't know if I want to buy them if they aren't as well made.

7. bradsul
    Skink

bradsul New Member

The BfSP Dwarf models are definitely terrible compared to the regiment boxes. I started my Dwarf army with them and I actually plan to replace them soon.

8. strewart
    OldBlood

The starter box models are deliberately made as one or two piece models that can clip together potentially without any glue to make them easier for beginners. This naturally means they will lack some detail and posability as compared to the real models. Some can still be quite good, while others are simply inferior.

9. Gerdion
    Skink

Gerdion New Member

I can totally relate to this from when I bought my Assault On Black Reach starter set for 40k. The Genestealers especially were horrid and didn't even fit properly together.

However, the newer starter set that involves the Orks and Marines looks far better. Some of the models (especially the Ork Warboss and the Dreadnought) are absolutely wonderful looking.

Perhaps when 8th edition comes out later this year, we'll get a superior starter set that is of comparable quality.

10. strewart
    OldBlood

GW is definitely vastly improving with their plastic kits, maybe 40k moreso because they are using computer modelling a lot more extensively for them. If we get the same quality treatment (ie. if someone trained in it is interested in WHFB) then yeah they will be great models. Only problem is still they will be clip together so harder to convert.