1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Battle Tome update???

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by ILKAIN, Aug 6, 2018.

1. PabloTho
    Razordon

PabloTho Well-Known Member

Whether or not this relates to us getting an update, I am sure it will happen eventually. Currently it is impossible to play Seraphon without accessing three different sources (Battletome, GH and FAQs) which is more effort than anyone should be expected to deal with when playing something for entertainment.

2. Darkfine
    Skink

Darkfine New Member

So I play a few board games that have rulebook, expansion books(s), player record sheets, NP record sheets, collected FAQs and rulings not to mention the actual pieces have rules on them.

I play a few PC games where in the manual/tutorial writings are hundreds of pages.

Practically any RPG ever printed can have shelves of books and reference material.

I apologize for the apparent rudeness of my post but “there are too many words to keep track of” is a very tired argument.

3. Galen
    Saurus

Galen Active Member

But that's exactly the same for any army in AoS. Even Stormcast, the most supported faction, have to at the minimum have the same three sources.

4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I tend to agree, however, when you have printed warscrolls that are mostly outdated because you (as customer) must refer to:
    - the ones published on gw site
    - the corrections in the new General handbook
    - the modifies that you find in FAQ
    - the changes in the "designers notes" (seriously, wft?)

Then you (as publisher) should really evaluate the possibility of a new battletome.

Paradoxical Pacifism and Brad like this.
  5. PabloTho
    Razordon

PabloTho Well-Known Member

I understand that added complexity is a bonus for some people, but it seems to me like one of the main purposes of the transition from WFB to AoS (and 40k 7th to 8th) was cutting back on the 'bureacracy' so to speak.

I'm all for adding new aspects to the game over time, but having to flick between multiple sources before I can roll the dice for a single unit because GW missed something in their last revision of it just slows down the game unnecessarily.

I guess I'm not poking at AoS itself so much as I'm poking at GW's sketchy quality control and playtesting.

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I agree on this for the change from Fantasy to AoS but 40K 8th Edition failed miserably in cutting down beaurocracy as it’s the same old media except new rules that are too much of a hybrid of AoS and previous editions of 40K and are recognisable as neither.

7. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

The Tome Is back on the website with no apparent changes. My LGS's Supply Rep said they had a documented shortage, and that's why they pulled it for a bit.

8. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Well, one could hope. :D

9. Killer Angel
    Slann

The Old Ones are not pleased

Koriialstraz likes this.
  10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Boooooo

11. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

8th edition is the strongest 40k has ever been. Its infinitely better than the "can you remember what all four thousand detachments do?" in 7th, and has absolutely cut down on the bureaucracy.

8th edition has been a success, with tournament attendance and sales up across the board. If you personally don't like it its fine, but lets not pretend it's some unmitigated disaster.

In terms of bureaucracy, the removal of detachments immediately makes it better. Granted, if you want to take an 8th ed imperial soup army, yeah, you're using a lot of books. But you're also using 3 different armies, and if you used allies in 7th you suffered from the same problem (except worse because of detachments.)

Anytime you have regular balance updates, you have a lot to keep track of. That's just the nature of the beast.

12. skinkyone
    Chameleon Skink

skinkyone Active Member

And for every new person picking up 40k 8th there is people who may have stopped playing.

8th is more accessable yes but it is not a good ruleset as its open to as much abuse as 7th hence the chapter approved .

Its a shame they lizards arn't getting redone im finding they need some refreshing with all these new releases power creeping :)

13. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Sorry, but i disagree entirely. 8th is infinitely better than 7th and there isn't even close to the same level of abuse. More armies are competitive, more models are competitive, and the tournament attendance (and results) shows that.

GW has posted monumentally higher sales numbers, so I don't think its fair to imply that people are leaving the game at the same speed they are joining it.

8th is the healthiest 40k has been since 5th edition, and as someone whos played since 3rd, i'd argue this is the best 40k has ever been.

If anything chapter approved proves its NOT open to as much abuse... considering they are making active balancing changes. I don't understand how the existence of a balancing document somehow indicates a game is more abusable.

I also don't understand how Seraphon need a refreshing considering they are stronger than they were in 1.0, just got an incredibly strong mechanic in 2.0, and have one of the most diverse range of models under 1 allegiance ability. Perhaps that will shift after Kroak got nerfed, but we'll have to wait and see. I wouldn't be opposed to a refresh, the new SCE and Nighthaunt books are awesome and the models are beautiful, but i dont think we're on the short list of allegiances that need one.

Sorry to get so argumentative, but comments like that can really create a negative (and in my opinion, untrue) opinion of how healthy the community is. 40k is more popular than ever, and any opinion to the contrary is just that, an opinion.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    ChubbSkink likes this.
  14. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Need? No, probably not.
    But....Want? Yes. :D

Tle'azqa'ecl and Putzfrau like this.
  15. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Totally agree! Especially if it means updated models, the latest releases are jaw dropping and I can't help but hope some of those dated seraphon models get a bit of a face lift.

Aginor likes this.
  16. skinkyone
    Chameleon Skink

skinkyone Active Member

I havent denied the community is doing better but that is because 8th is more accessable to everyone as the basics of the game are simple but it still has small complexities to it.

However it is a horrible rule set in my opinion But then again my experience has been vs pre fix assasin spam then pre fixed imperial soup then most recently the new DE ( you want to use a strat nah thats not happening)

At the same time i was a avid HH player so i never expeirenced these 7th uber formations.

With regards to lizards if you remove the tourney player style list that by nature are very optimised they are not to great. So yes i do feel they need a refresh and i would say an update to basic troops other than skinks would be a start, again my opinion is formed off who i play

Im not trying to be negative i still play lizards i love giant dinos and dinos riding dinos

17. Killer Angel
    Slann

To be fair, every edition have its portion of overpowered units / broken combos/ abusable mechanics... and they change with each edition.
    It's in the nature of GW 's games.

WHFB, 40K,AoS: you won't find a single balanced edition in any of these games.

What matters is to have an entertaining system, and 8th edition is fun to play.... with a ton of things that need to be fixed.

18. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

I think "horrible" might be a little extreme.

There are more viable lists in 8th edition, right now, then there ever were in 7th edition 40k. Just in the last few months we've had Knights, tau, Death Guard, IG, Blood Angels, Dark Eldar, Eldar, Chaos, thousand sons, and nids all be some kind of good. Even armies like Ultramarines, orks, and Dark Angels have had varying levels of success.

8th has a massive variation in good lists and good units. There are a handful of glaring problems in the edition right now, but compared to 7th ed 40k, its a godsend.

Seraphon troops certainly aren't the most exciting units, but i think they have pretty good diversity overall.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  19. Hankster
    Skink

Hankster Member

So as someone about to go buy a battle tome at my local store, should I hold off? How long to updates usually take?

- Never-mind, I kept reading the thread. :/

Crowsfoot and Putzfrau like this.
  20. ChubbSkink
    Saurus

ChubbSkink Member

We were one of the first to get a battletome, so I reckon there should be an update anytime specially after AOS2 hit the shelves. But that's just wishful thinking I guess. Next on the pipeline will be MOAR SCE, and for Christmas..... what do you know! SCE! LoL

Koriialstraz likes this.