1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Best rider for carnosaur. oh, or just take troglodon

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by serafellow, Nov 25, 2018.

1. serafellow
    Skink

serafellow New Member

Hey everyone, just wanted to start a quick debate on what mount is best for the carnosaur or wether troglodon is superior to both (lol).

I think I’m in the old blood boat as they are far more self sufficient when compared to the scar vet, meaning they can be thrown into the fray without to much external support. However, I do believe the scar vet has a place as in order for the old blood to be truly effective, he must use his command ability, whereas the scar vet can go in without that requirement.

Troglodon is trash tier imo. Just doesn’t really get much done to be honest, although he is quite cheap for a behemoth.

Thanks everyone!

2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

ScV is a stronger force multiplier. A unit of Saurus Warriors generating extra attacks on 6's is pretty scary. ScV is also a beast in combat if you give him the Sword of Judgement from the Realm of Ulgu. The Troglodon is actually decent in this is spell saturated meta. He is still not as capable as the other two though.

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  3. serafellow
    Skink

serafellow New Member

@LizardWizard yeah good point, what are your thoughts on trogs? They just never seem to perform well for me. I usually summon them but I would rather wait the extra 6 points for the bastiladon/carnosaur.

Oh and a quick question, can I give a relic to a summoned model?

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

An oldblood has an extra ranged attack.
    A scar-vet has some rend protection.
    Their overal damage and stats are nearly the same beyond that though.

An oldblood command supports saurus heroes reliably.
    A scar-vet command supports all saurus, but unreliably.

And the oldblood is slightly more expensive.

The scar-vet is better if you have loads of big saurus units to support and the scar-vet's shield give it far better survivability if your opponent has a heavy rend army. If he doesn't have heavy rend, or you plan on having the carno rampage around on his own the oldblood is probably slightly better.

Ultimatly the difference is fairly minimal in most sitatuations though and mostly a point of personal preference.

As for the trog. It's cheap and cost-efficent. It's fast, having the most reliable charge after summoning out of all our options. It's stats don't decay as badly as most monsters. It can unbind, and be used as a skink vassal for some nice magical shenanigens. And lastly it's a significant enough threat that your opponent has to deal with it. It can deal quite a lot of damage so it will wreck havoc among his lines if he ignores it. It easily pulls its weight, but it serves a different purpose than a carno or bastiladon so which you'l summon will depend on the situation.

Nope.

5. serafellow
    Skink

serafellow New Member

Thanks everyone for the input! I am planning on purchasing the battle force box And was wondering what to put on the carnosaur/troglodon. I currently just own a scarvet but have proxies it as all three. I think I’m going to go with the troglodon for a good harrasing unit, although the old blood is tempting!

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Or you can build both of them

7. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I think the Trog has three things going for it. Trogs can act a casting vector for your Slann Starmaster, they are decent option in a skink heavy steggadon version of thunderquake due to their speed and low point cost, and the model is lovely. I suppose lastly, if you need to tie a unit up for two turns it does have a strong chance to make the on summon charg. This is especially true if you have cogs on field. It is lack luster in combat however.

8. Asamu
    Temple Guard

Asamu Well-Known Member

I'd rate the oldblood a bit higher than the Scar vet due to the command ability being better without needing support, and it fitting in the Fangs of Sotek battalion. If you don't have units of 40 saurus to pump with the command ability, the Oldblood carno command ability is better, and makes it a much more significant threat on its own, especially against other monsters, where you can add attacks to the claws to almost guarantee the 2+ to hit with the jaws.
    With re-rolls to hit, which makes for a better comparison for the scar vet, the oldblood carno still averages ~3-4 more damage when on full wounds with 1 use of the command ability, or ~2 more damage without re-rolls. With no buffs, the oldblood carno averages about 1 more damage.
    If you plan on using all of your CPs on other command abilities (which I don't see why you would), then they're pretty much equal. Otherwise, it depends a bit on the list, with the oldblood being better in most cases.

9. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

This should also all be considered knowing the ScV is 20 MPP less. The ScV is also a very strong candidate for the Sword of Judgement. Then there is no contest. Build all three though:D

10. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

If you have a skink-heavy force and want a carnosaur addition, Old Blood is probably better because of his Command Ability. Etherial Amulet is very good for him, because it mitigates the lack of Shield. Scarvet is cheaper, has -1 rend protection and more attacks with Blade/Spear and his CA stronger when applied to a unit with large number of attacks. For Knight force, however, Cold One SV is better commander, because of +1 bite. So Scarvet on Carno is better when you want to play with realm weapon artefacts, don't have 20 points or want to buff warriors/guard blob. That's how I see it.

11. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

The Oldblood Command Ability on Carno only affects Saurus Heroes though. I don't see the synergy.

12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The oldblood benefits more from his own ability than the scar-vet benefits from his own ability. So if they're the only saurus present the old blood commands has the most effect.

13. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Agreed, that is why you should go Trog in a Skink Heavy list. The Carno's are only worth taking in list with Saurus. Otherwise summon then if you want a monster hunter.

14. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

saurus oldblood on a carno with a doppleganger cloak is a sneaky good combat unit IMO.

Lots of fun defensive shenanigans you can do with that artifact.

15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Not necesarly, the Carno is ultimatly going to beat the Trog in raw fire-power. For example if you take the announced battleforce box then the carno might actually be better as in that case you have:

- A skink starpriest for wizard-ing
    - Skinks for screening and grabbing objectives
    - Terradons/rippers as (flying) cavalry
    - A bastiladon as lynchpin for your battleline/to block your opponents hard-hitting stuff
    - A carnosaur to rip and tear trough the enemies lines

A troglodon in this composition would probably be too weak to really wreck the opponent, and since there isn't any other big scary thing in the list the troglodon wouldn't be able to function as a distraction or back-up monster either.

To be honest, troglodons are probably at their best as supporting monsters. Something else is the real threat, they're just there to punish mistakes or draw away fire from the real threat.

tom1017 and Paradoxical Pacifism like this.
  16. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Well yeah,The Carno cost 100 points more. It had better be able to beat it. Trogs are there as mage hunters and hero hunters. The Carnos are there to kill monsters.

17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

well yeah, just meant the troglodon isn't necesary the go-to choice in a skink army. It serves a different purpose.

18. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Yes, this is what I mean. And if you just summon Oldblood, you won't be able to give him artefact, whic he really wants to have.

19. serafellow
    Skink

serafellow New Member

So, my list is a slannado summoning Combo with zero Saurus. I’m looking for a monster that can go in and wreck face. I have a carno on scar vet and when I grab the battleforce, would you say the Scarvet fills that roll? Or is an oldblood required.

20. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

You have a carno on scar vet? That must look interesting ;)