1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Best way to equip Saurus Knights?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Erdrick, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Erdrick
    Skink

Erdrick New Member

Building out my first Getting Started box, and I'm trying to figure out how I want to build my Knights. It seems from most of the lists I've looked at use Saurus Knights with Celestite Lances if they use them at all, but that seems less useful to me - especially in the context of a Firelance Starhost.

By my math there is a ~66% chance you get 0 mortal wounds from a unit of 5 on a charge, and the bonus from Firelance is ~8% chance on Lances but ~12% on Blades because of the better toHit. It seems like you'd need to be facing off against high-save enemies AND get the charge off AND be lucky on your rolls to get a net benefit from the Lances - and anything that tough is likely to take more than 1 charge to kill, which means in subsequent rounds the Blades would have a bigger advantage.

Which do you guys use, and why?

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I use lances.
    I'll be honest: most of the time they don't work. But if they do it is nice, and I think that some opponents give them higher priority than they deserve because they fear the charge that can occasionally break even elite units when they work. Especially in a Firelance.

And I still hope that they get 2" range one day. What kind of lance has only 1" range?

3. theodoris
    Cold One

theodoris Member

I magnetised the arms with the weapons, so i can swap them.
    every time a new book(battletome) comes out the usefulness changes, then spears are better and then clubs are better.
    It takes some effort but it`s worth it

4. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

At present defo lances (yeah they aren’t a guarantee) but do you really use a lot of knights? Not many do, and if they pull off a few bonus mortal wounds = thanks very much.

5. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

A lot of effort: but do a conversion to give the Saurus on top a Large Bow.

Trick out the bow with multiple arrows.
    [​IMG]
    Give the whole thing the base of a Razordon, add some skinks on foot as arrow bearers (handlers) and presto you’ve got Razordons.

The multiple arrows represent the Razordon’s spike hurling attacks.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  6. PabloTho
    Razordon

PabloTho Well-Known Member

In a Firelance, lances seem like a better idea simply for the possibility of two juicy mortal wounds on that six to wound. Realistically, however, whenever I'm banking on doing damage with knights it will be with the Cold Ones and not with the weapons themselves.

I prefer to use clubs just to force more saves. I find 4+ to hit to be pretty disagreeable but that is mostly my terrible luck when rolling.

7. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

I agree, I also find Cold One bites is the main weapon of Knights. Scarvet's on CO command and Venom for Starpriest are the way to go. Riders' weapons are just pleasant addition. I use lances in case Knights attack something tough - Bites will eat hordes anyway. Can't wait to try 10-15 knight squad in Aqshi - +1 to-wound is such a gift for Knights.

Killer Angel likes this.