1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Borks slo mo blog.....new Slann

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by borkbork, Oct 29, 2011.

1. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Hi,

I just got my hand on a very good lizardmen deal. Although to be honest i never planned to start a lizzy army this offer was just to good to resist. I have always liked the lizardmen, but i am a true orc at heart.

Here you can find my orc blog (which is also movind quite slow).
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=25246&st=0

anyway i have not done anything yet with my newly acquired lizards. But i thought i just post the pile of models to get this blog started. I will update it from time to time, just dont hold your breath :D

I intend (will change my mind probably a 1000 times) to do a desert style with the Slann based on the Gila monster.

here is my army

45 saurus (new plastic + old metal)
    17 Temple guard (old metal)
    3 salamander
    5 terradons
    5 krox
    9 chameleon
    ca. 40 skinks (plastic + metal)
    ca. 15 CoC (plastic + metal)
    1x Old Slann (+ 4 bearers)
    1x lord kroak
    4x swarms

PS: these pics were made by the seller!

ScreenShot004.jpg

ScreenShot003.jpg

ScreenShot001.jpg

Attached Files:

2. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Re: Borks slo mo blog

Cool, I'm a sucker for old lizardmen stuff. The gila monster theme could be very nice!
    Keep us updated :)

3. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

I just hope my painting skills are up to it.
    Am not a bad painter, but i have trouble with making things look intentional instead of random blobs, if you understand what i mean.

4. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

I think that you should make your whole army in the gila-scheme. Very nice contrasts with that warm orange against the rich black, and maybe blue tounges.

Then you could also practice with the black dots on the scales on the saurus and such,

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Thats a cool looking lizard, I have seen a few orange and black schemes and they look great! Very volcanic. Good luck with the army.

I had a bit of a look at your Orcs, some very nice models and conversions in there!

6. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

thx,

But than you will have seen how slow i can go. :D

@totzro.

am not sure if i want to do a full gila sheme for the full army. Although you might be right it could be a cool theme for the army, but i dont think it will look right on skings and saurus. Will do a test model tho.

But it will certainly work for sallys and chameleons (but then more that black and yellow poisoned frog like).

7. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

No progress yet worthy of making pics of.

Have been slowly assembling the battalion box, and doing repairs on the old models i got.
    Turned the old slann bearers into regular TG. The curent saurus warrior arms fit perfectly.

Also have decided on a paintsheme, although i still have to experiment with the actual recipes.

Like mentioned above the Slann is going to be a Gila monster (must be the coolest name of all animals).

Saurus warriors (And TG) will get a light grey/brownish collor with dark (blackish) scales. . Shields will be black(ish) with orange glyph/accents,

For the skinks it will be similiar to the Saurus although with a lot of orange accents around the eyes, throat and chest. the collors are inspired on these two little buggers.

btw: does anybody have any examples how a striped sheme would look on the actual models.

Indian_Garden_Lizard_%28Calotes_versicolor%29_in_AP_W_IMG_9906.jpg
    Red-Eye-Crocodile-Skink.jpg

8. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

9. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

i ll try, just dont hold your breath ;)

thx for the example, exactly what i was looking for.

10. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

11. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

just dont expect golden demon quality from me ;)

Have seen his blog, and i basically am gonna use his Krox sheme (the left one) for my saurus.
    Didn't notice his reference to the croc skinks until now.

I also intend to make the orange a little bit more prominent.

12. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Yeah, check my blog. Both my Saurus and my Salamanders are tiger striped.

13. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

ty sir :)

tiger stripes are looking good

14. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

neveroddoreven Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing another's interpretation of those crocodile skinks.
    Those Krox I painted were really easy (I think I explained how in my thread), I just did a third one. It's the quickest model to paint in my army!

15. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

woooh...last post from 2011!!!
    Now that is embarrassing....but i probably had the gift of foresight when i called it my SLO MO blog :)

Anyway, since 2011 quite a lot have happened....although nothing really happened with my Lizardmen army.
    I actually almost sold them, as i decided to downsize from three to two armies as I hardly had time to paint or play. But in the end it were the high elfs who draw the shortest straw.

The bigest thing happening in the past period was moving from the Netherlands to Ankara in Turkey, because my wife got a job offer we could not refuse.

The downside of that was that i lost my job and became a house dad, but the good thing was that i suddenly had more time to paint and got a proper hobby room. Especially the latter was a serious upgrade from the small corner in the garage, where my paintdesk got banned to after the our first daughter was born.

I also came round to playing warhammer again. Wargaming is an very tiny hobby in Turkey, but here in Ankara we have a gamestore with a small but very friendly crowd (roughly 10-ish semi active warhammer players and few more who have armies but play very rarely). Unfortunately there were allready two orc players and three orcs players in such a small gaming crowd is a bit much. The last store tourney had only 6 participents....3 of which were orcs...and to make matters worse they all had pretty similar lists (big troll unit, big savage orc horde, and 1 Night Goblin bus)

Although orcs will always be my nr 1 army this was a big incentive to dust of the Lizards. So the last few weeks i have been working to make them battle ready (still unpainted though). And last weekend I actually had my first ever battle with my lizards (against orcs). And it was really fun to play something different from orcs, made lots of mistakes and in hindsight i probably could have won the game, but it turned into a 780-ish vs 1050-ish defeat after the big toad sucked himself in to the warp.

And today....i actually got the first real paint on them (apart from primer)

Few wip shots (very bad pics cause the proper cam is currently out of action) ..gonna leave the skink for now because i need to mess with the paintsheme a little on regular skinks.

imagejpg1_zps658f29ed.jpg

imagejpg3_zps0ab6e7dc.jpg

16. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

So.....finished my Slann (well 95% finished...still need to do few touch ups and the base).

Perhaps it was a bit stupid to start of with the Slann but i just could not resist it.
    As you can see it is the old Slann with bearers.....but without the bearers ;)
    The bearers got a spare arm from the regular Saurus warriors and will act as regular temple guard (although with handweapons).

For the Slann i drilled a hole into his seat and added a piece of thicki copper wire. And added some cork to make it look like a floating piece of rock. I went for the Gila monster look, and although i am not the best painter in the world but i think i nailed it. Most Gila monsters are a bit more yellowish, but i decided to go for the orange variety as orange will feature in the rest of the army as well.

Pics are not fantastic as i had to use my cell (real camera is allready 4 weeks at the repair shop for cleaning some sand out of the zoom thingy).

2014-09-28193023_zpsf89df465.jpg

2014-09-28193008_zps93742ecb.jpg

2014-09-28193017_zps843ce494.jpg