1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Building a army with my current models (?)

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Killer Croc, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Killer Croc
    Skink

Killer Croc Member

Hi guys,

played my last game 2-3 years ago, so i never played the "new" age of sigmar...thats why i need your advice and help :D

here are a list of models which i own:

-Bastiladon
    -Stegadon
    -Skink Starseer
    -Skink Starpriest
    -5 Chameleon Skinks
    -3 Ripperdactyl Riders
    and a zillion Skinks with Boltspitters

is it possible to build a army with these? did this army work well, maybe semi competitive? there is a little tournament in my store in a few weeks and i´ll give it a try i think :) what should i buy next?

thanks for some advice and help :)

LizardWizard and Captaniser like this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Welcome back!

How many points will the Store Tournament be? Also, how much are you willing to spend? You are only a Box of Ripperdactyls and A Slann short of having a strong Shadowstrike Starhost. Razordons would also be a good addition to your forces.

3. Killer Croc
    Skink

Killer Croc Member

Thank you !

First i want to start with 1000 Points. play a few games, learn the rules etc. the tournament(s) will be 2000 Points. mhm how much am i willing to spend? idk, lets see how much i "need" haha, idk i have a hobby budget - at least my wife wanted the "limit" - but its high enoufh to buy some boxes

4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

If you just want to get a hang of Seraphon then I get pick up a Slann Starmaster and either buy or convert a Saurus Astrolith Bearer. Both of these units are in nearly every Seraphon list.

Shadowstrike at 1k is very effective. However, you won't get to learn very much about the game thought because it normally wins around turn 2.
    Here is my favorite 1k list:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Mortal Realm: Ghur

LEADERS:
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    - General
    - Command Trait : Master of Star Rituals
    - Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm

UNITS:
    6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)
    40 x Skinks (240)
    -Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    -Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    4 x Razordons (160)

BATTALIONS:
    Shadowstrike Starhost
    (180)

TOTAL: 1000/1000

5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

without buying more stuff a shadowstrike host is the only thing that you can really make, alongside some support from a big dinosaur. It'l work decently in 1k games. In bigger games you'l probably end up suffering without extra additions.

As @LizardWizard says, a Slann & astrolith bearer are almost mandatory at this point due to summoning, especially in larger battles so I'd pick those as your first additions. Beyond that, some saurus or more of the big dinosaurs for staying power.

Given what you already have I'd try the following:
    - Slann
    - Astrolith bearer
    - Start collecting box x2, the 16 Knight models can be used as a more solid battleline than skinks & the 2 big dinosaurs can be used as some additional scary stuff. Remember to kitbash a knight into a scar vet at least.

That way you have your summoning going and you have some more staying power for a bigger battle as you can field a shadowstrike and firelance starhost (or just field what's in the firelance the battalion bonusses aren't too amazing)

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yeah, it's incredible how much the new edition forces our builds to include Slann and Altrolith Bearer, but that's it.
    I find it kind of funny because during the game we have an enormous variety tnx to summon.
    I find it kind of sad because every single seraphon list will be formed by the same core (edit: with the only exception maybe by some shadostrike build around 1000 pts)

LizardWizard likes this.
  7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh, I wish summoning was several steps cheaper (and the summoned units consequently weaker). It'd be nice if for example we could summon a temporary carnosaur for 1 turn to wreck havoc or a bastiladon to block a chokepoint only to dissapate and allow us to charge through the chokepoint the next turn. It'd show off our variety more.

8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

We can do that. We can LoSaT it to a new spot:D

9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

You already need the bastiladon in that case so it's not really the same :p

But yeah, it might actually be a very interesting option for our form of "endless" spells, summon some of our bigger stuff for 1 or 2 turns instead of permanently & they could be dispelled.

LizardWizard likes this.
  10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I definitely like the idea of summoned units that stay for a limited amount of time.

Canas likes this.