1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The winners of the Golden Serpent 2016 competition has been announced! For more information, click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have added a section to discuss Kings of War and the new race Salamanders that is currently in beta. Feel free to discuss anything about Kings of War in these forums. Click here to check it out and post!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. AOS Campaign Warband competition is here! Aid the community by Giving us your ideas! For more information, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

8th Ed. Can +1 to hit cause poison?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by themuffinman873, Jan 21, 2016.

1. themuffinman873
    Chameleon Skink

themuffinman873 Member

If I normally poison on a 6+, and have some sort of buff that adds +1 to hit, can I poison on an unmodified roll of 5? (Modified roll of 6)

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I would say no. On page 73 of the BRB it states that: "A model with the Poisoned Attacks special rule wounds his target automatically if his natural dice roll to hit is a 6". The reference to a natural roll of 6 indicates that the dice must physically show 6 in order for poison to take effect.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

The thing you are looking for is "can poison on a 5 or a 6".

4. ZeTe
    Saurus

ZeTe Member

but are there not ways you can improve your chance to hit with poison attacks from a 6+ to a 5+ somehow? or is that only restricted to OnG?

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Blades of Putrefaction from the Lore of Nurgle can also improve poison so that it takes affect on a 5+.

6. ZeTe
    Saurus

ZeTe Member

so there is definitely no way for us (lizard players) to improve our poison attacks to a 5+ ?

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Nope, I do not believe that there is a way... at least under 8th edition rules, you can do it in 9th Age.

8. ZeTe
    Saurus

ZeTe Member

no worries dude, haven't looked into 9th age yet but it looks to be interesting to say the least

9. Scalenex
    Skink Priest

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

For what's it's worth. You can never get poison on a "7" to hit, so lowering a "7" to a natural "6" means more poison. That's actually useful for blowpipe Skinks. Since moving, multiple shots, long range is 7 to hit (that's why I prefer javelin Skinks which are usually 5+ to hit.

ZeTe likes this.
  10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I believe tik-tak-toe poisons on a 5 or a 6.... or was it Tenehuan...?

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Tehenhauin has poisoned attacks (and is immune to poison himself) but he does not poison on a 5+. As far as I can tell, Tiktaq'to doesn't have poisoned attacks at all.

12. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I must be getting my editions confused...

Edit: doh of course it was ...

Oxyotl

Master Predator - If Oxyotl remained stationary in his preceding Movement phase, shots made from the Golden Blowpipe of P'Toohee in the Shooting phase wound on any successful To Hit roll of a 5+.
    *(poison shots)

I knew somebody had a 5+ poison...

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That makes sense. I completely forgot about that guy. He is so overpriced I've never even considered to put him into one of my lists.