1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Canas' armies

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Canas, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I really considered playing Tzeentch Daemons for a while.
    ...but then their BT was released and they became too popular...

2. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Crap, I missed out a few days of this, hopefully the sudden like grenade is appreciated. Very cool models, especially the fire for the Tzeench stuff looks excellent!

Canas and Aginor like this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

well they're old again now so maybe they're unpopular enough for you again? ;)

4. Aginor
    Slann

Indeed!
    I just don't have the time to start another army right now. Have to finish my Seraphon and Death. :D

Canas and Lizerd like this.
  5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

An herald of tzeentch on chariot. I like how the base turned out. The disc as usual is a mess cuz I can't paint details to save my life.

Also, how do you guys keep your brushes intact, I go through an astonishing amount of brushes when I paint models. Much more than when I paint on paper.

67907603_970606056603714_3000430712370233344_n.jpg

6. Aginor
    Slann

Looks cool!

About the brushes:
    The first few brushes I used died pretty quickly as well. Since then I haven't destroyed a single one though.

My tricks:
    - clean them well. Don't allow color particles to remain in the bristles. The same goes for the metal where the bristles are attached.
    - now and then clean them with soap. There is special soap for brushes but a regular one will do.
    - don't stab. The brush should never bend very strongly.
    - don't allow paint to dry on the brush. Better put only very little paint on the brush, paint for a short time, and then rinse.
    - don't let the brush stand around in water
    - don't let the brush stand around when wet with the bristles pointing upwards.
    - when wiping the brush on paper towel after rinsing, make sure that you rotate the brush a bit and don't apply much pressure. That keeps the tip intact.
    - if you put it somewhere, put the plastic tube thingie over the brush.

- it may sound weird and I am not sure it really helps, but like many painters I also use my lips to shape the tip after wiping it. I just put the bristles between my lips and then pull the brush out.

7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

What I mostly find very weird is that I don't do anything different compared to when I paint on paper, or even 10-15 years ago when I pained some of the lord of the ring models. Yet somehow the brushes keep losing their hairs at an astonishing rate, the ends keep splitting & they're constantly hardening with old paint no matter how many times I clean em.

Also, usually I'd be able to get the brush clean again, even if it had hardened with old paint. But with these I just can't seem to manage.

Is GW paint just terrible for brushes or something? Cuz aside from that the only thing I can think of that's different is that I paint rough Surfaces now and I can definitly see the occasional hair just getting stuck and being pulled off when painting some particularly rough models.

Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  8. Aginor
    Slann

That definitely matters!

About GW paint: I think GW paints can be relatively bad for brushes because they are pretty thick. But if you thin them properly they shouldn't be too different to other paints.

And one other thing about brushes:
    Brush quality matters a lot. Cheap brushes lose bristles much faster.

Also interesting: synthetic brushes vs. natural bristles. I do prefer the latter ones, except for drybrushing.

Lizerd and Canas like this.
  9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh, I doubt the brush quality is much different from the ones I used as a child. I doubt my parents would buy the super fancy brushes for the occasional times we'd paint something.

Ah well, ultimatly it doesn't matter much, it's not like they're terribly expensive. But it's a pain to have to keep going out to get new brushes after a box or two of particularly rough models (stuff like tzaangor with their feathers basicly eat brushes..)

10. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

What type of brush maintenance do you do? Also, you do allow paint to reach the metal cap around the base of the bristles?

Lizerd likes this.
  11. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

cleaning them once I'm done, keeping them wet while working. Keeping them as clean as possible while working. And yeah, though I try to avoid it, can't Always rightly tell how deep I need to go into the GW pots to get to the paint. Mostly I'm just confused about the staggering difference with the brushes I used as a kid. Half of those brushes my mum still occasionally uses, and those have been used by literal legions of small children by now so it's not like those got better care than mine currently do.

12. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Do you do a lot of dry brushing with your brushes? That will tear up bristles pretty quickly. So will getting washes into the ferrule.

Lizerd likes this.
  13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

nope, only recently even figured out how to actually dry brushproperly. And washes are about the only thing that shouldn't go up there as those are much easier to see how far into the pot I am.

14. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Actually here is a question on the subject: while my medium layer brushes, small layer brush, and other fine tip brushes as well as the dry brushes and shades I have survive very well, but for some reason all the medium base brushes (chisel shape) die on me in a single session or two with the tip coming apart. Any ideas on how to keep them alive.

@Canas how rough are you on the brushes? Depending on how hard you are the bits could get snagged on the rough parts of the model.

15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Eh, normally rough? Don't really have a frame of reference to compare it to. But I'm not being especially rough on them as far as I can tell when compared to my girlfriend.

16. Oh_Man
    Kroxigor

Oh_Man Well-Known Member

The good thing about the plastic tube cap things is it allows you to store the brushes facing down without crushing the bristles out of shape.

This allows any excess water/paint to be drawn AWAY from the ferrule via gravity instead of accumulating inside the ferrule if you store them brush facing up.

Aginor and LizardWizard like this.
  17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I usually try to keep those one, but I enevitably lose em at some point.

LizardWizard likes this.
  18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Nearly forgot to upload it here, but I painted a chaos sorcerer on manticore. It wants a hug as clearly visible in the first picture.

IMG_20190921_190237.jpg IMG_20190921_185842.jpg IMG_20190921_185907.jpg IMG_20190921_185750.jpg IMG_20190921_190155.jpg

Aginor, Warden and Lizerd like this.
  19. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

In the photo from the rear,the wings and cape look very nice. Have you considered using a mat varnish. It might tone done some of the sheen on your minis.

Lizerd likes this.
  20. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

It is a mat varnish, I just thoroughly screwed up the lightning on those pictures and couldn't for the life of me get it right. So it's massivly overlit. I either got completly dark pictures or even brighter ones if I used flash. This is the closest to decent I could come with a seperate lamp shining on it. And this was during the day. No idea why I struggled so much with the light, usually it isn't that bad.

Aginor, Warden and Lizerd like this.